Newb audio input question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stevieray
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Newb audio input question

Post by stevieray »

New to DP. Setup is Dante in and out via Dante Virtual Soundcard. On a track in the mixer I can only see input (meters bouncing) when I have a Dante out assigned in the output. If I change the output to bus 1-2 the input metering goes away. I'm guessing this has something to do with bundles, but it seems odd that changing the output affects my input metering. Can't see the input on the meters tab either. How come I can be pumping input into DP and not see it on the input meters? Seems counterintuitive.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Newb audio input question

Post by bayswater »

A DP Audio channel needs a functioning output before it does much of anything. I don't know why it does that, but it does; there's probably some purpose. Maybe that's why the specific signal path you have set up is not showing input.

Always get a main output pair set up in the Bundles, and put it at the top of the list in the Bundles window. You need one anyway, and doing it this way will ensure you can monitor auditioned sounds.

If you output to a bus, the bus needs to be specified as the input to a channel that has an output. This is different in some ways from Logic or PT. The bus in DP a connection between channels, and both ends have to be defined. There's a little more to set up, but it pays back in routing flexibility.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8