Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite

Post by mikehalloran »

Re Install DP
Hasn't that already been fixed in another thread? Normally, that's all you have to do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:On a new Y partition, the PSP plugins install, but the authorizers don't appear to work. I guess upgrading with PSP plugins already authorized works?
Yes.

You can re-download your authorization files to the new partition. open and click. I did that when I tested my SSD a few weeks ago. Piece of cake.
That's how I did it. Did you have Y on the SSD?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Did you have Y on the SSD?
No, I did a clean install of Mavericks last month.

Do you have the security settings set to Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere? I had to do that so all my PSP authorizations would work.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:

Do you have the security settings set to Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere? I had to do that so all my PSP authorizations would work.
I'll try that. I've had it set to the second level up to now and that has worked ok so far with psp on my laptop with mavericks.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are some installers that don't trigger the correct error pop-ups when that is the issue. They should, of course...
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Still in Yosemite and getting a few random crashes in DP but nothing that is holding me back all that much from getting my scores going. I still need to grab an SSD when I get a chance. I'm thinking about that PCIe card that will hold 2 SSDs. I believe you can boot from that as long as the card is in the first slot. That way I could add two drives and streamline a lot more of the system onto SSDs and still have the HDs as backups and work space.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm thinking about that PCIe card that will hold 2 SSDs. I believe you can boot from that as long as the card is in the first slot.
I wasn't aware that the slot would make a difference.

I'm not sure I would buy it if you can't boot. Once you make an SSD your boot drive, you will likely say, "why did I wait so long?"

I keep thinking I need to replace my iMac but that 845 EVO I am using has me convinced I can put it off another year (don't tell the Mrs.)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:

Yes, "anywhere" works. So the security setting does more than decide if you run an app.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes, "anywhere" works. So the security setting does more than decide if you run an app.
It's poorly worded. I think it only applies to installing applications and has nothing to do with running them. If you re-enable the other levels, your PSP plugs should still work. Feel free to try it and correct me if I am wrong :D

Kext signing and checking is supposed to keep unsigned apps from loading and potentially causing problems in Yosemite.

I was concerned with certain apps and plugs not working with kext checking enabled but, other than Dragon Dictate, It's not been an issue (DD has problems in Yosemite with kext checking disabled, too).
BobK

Post by BobK »

Not sure if I should be posting here or in the Troubleshooting forum, but since switching my Mac Pro from Mavericks to Yosemite, I've been getting MOTU Audio System crashes, seeming randomly.

This happened today while recording using two Metric Halo interfaces, which were properly configured and were both selected in the 'Configure Hardware Driver' dialog. I'm not yet sure if this happens when using just one interface. Will update this post after researching that.

I lost some important rehearsal recordings today because of this. I can live without 'em, but of course in retrospect I should have waited before changing my OS on my main work computer. Dangit.

Anybody else getting MAS crashes, and if so, have you found any solutions?

__
DP 8.07

Mac OS 10.10
Mac Pro (Early 2009)
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon ('Nehalem')
16 GB RAM

Metric Halo driver, software, and firmware are all current
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
It's poorly worded. I think it only applies to installing applications and has nothing to do with running them. If you re-enable the other levels, your PSP plugs should still work. Feel free to try it and correct me if I am wrong :D

Kext signing and checking is supposed to keep unsigned apps from loading and potentially causing problems in Yosemite.

I was concerned with certain apps and plugs not working with kext checking enabled but, other than Dragon Dictate, It's not been an issue (DD has problems in Yosemite with kext checking disabled, too).
It DID work, as I mentioned above. But I had to download all the files again. Resetting security and then running the backups I had of the same files, same versions, did not work.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

BobK wrote:Anybody else getting MAS crashes, and if so, have you found any solutions.
I'm wondering if the DP crashes some are getting with Y are caused by plugins. I'm setting up a new Y partition and re-installing everything from scratch. All the applications are done and they're fine.

Today and yesterday it's plugins: installed, authorized and tested the major stuff a few items at a time. It all worked.

Most recently I added 15 AU plugins from the "Free" list, misc stuff that might be useful. With those in place, DP started crashing, and the guilty thread refers to MAS and AU. I removed the 15 and everything was OK.

Now I have to decide whether to add the 15 back in a few at a time, and isolate the bad apple, or whether to just delete them and move on.

(Note: the Waves 9.2 installer won't run. It just opens up a window that shows the W9 logo, and a OK button. Clicking OK quits the installer. But simply dragging over the Wave folder in Applications in my ML partition to the Y partition, and then running the Waves AU registration app seems to work. Of course, the Wave USB key has to be in place.)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: It DID work, as I mentioned above. But I had to download all the files again. Resetting security and then running the backups I had of the same files, same versions, did not work.
Exactly my experience--except it was 10.9.5 for me, not Yosemite.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Still in Yosemite and getting a few random crashes in DP but nothing that is holding me back all that much from getting my scores going. I still need to grab an SSD when I get a chance. I'm thinking about that PCIe card that will hold 2 SSDs. I believe you can boot from that as long as the card is in the first slot. That way I could add two drives and streamline a lot more of the system onto SSDs and still have the HDs as backups and work space.

this card has my interest.......
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%2 ... TA6SSDPSE/

2 internal ssd's + 2 external esata and bootable,waiting for the ssd's to decrease in price a bit more.......
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
BobK

Post by BobK »

bayswater wrote:I'm wondering if the DP crashes some are getting with Y are caused by plugins. I'm setting up a new Y partition and re-installing everything from scratch. All the applications are done and they're fine.

Today and yesterday it's plugins: installed, authorized and tested the major stuff a few items at a time. It all worked.

Most recently I added 15 AU plugins from the "Free" list, misc stuff that might be useful. With those in place, DP started crashing, and the guilty thread refers to MAS and AU. I removed the 15 and everything was OK.

Now I have to decide whether to add the 15 back in a few at a time, and isolate the bad apple, or whether to just delete them and move on.

(Note: the Waves 9.2 installer won't run. It just opens up a window that shows the W9 logo, and a OK button. Clicking OK quits the installer. But simply dragging over the Wave folder in Applications in my ML partition to the Y partition, and then running the Waves AU registration app seems to work. Of course, the Wave USB key has to be in place.)
The crashes I'm getting are MAS only - the entire DP app doesn't crash.

When you say 'DP crashes, it sounds like you mean the entire app -correct?
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4