editing 2 MIDI track, 1 drum map and 1 in MIDI editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
alexmillette
Primary DAW OS: Windows

editing 2 MIDI track, 1 drum map and 1 in MIDI editor

Post by alexmillette »

Hi! I'm currently trying DP8 cause I want to move from Sonar to DP.
I was wondering if it is possible to open 2 MIDI track in 2 differents editor at the same time. In Sonar I use drum map to trigger keyswitch and I'm trying to reproduce the same in DP. What I'M trying to do is to:

Open my MIDI track (keyswitches) in the drum map editor over the other MIDI track that is the playing notes. It's useful 'cause the drum map give you visual reference of the keyswitches and you don't have to remember that C0 is for legato and Db0 for spiccato...

Any Idea? I've been look everywhere but I can't find anything on this subject.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: editing 2 MIDI track, 1 drum map and 1 in MIDI editor

Post by stubbsonic »

There are a few good ways to accomplish this. You can open separate MIDI graphic editors and put one on top of the other. If you do this, you might want to either set the wiper to stay centered, or make the windows the same size & zoom, so they scroll & page turn together.

It is a little easier to use the Sequence Editor view as this shows all the tracks graphic views together. But you can't hide tracks this way.

My fave way is to just open a MIDI graphic editor and show both tracks in the same piano roll. There's a track-select list on the side that you can pick which tracks are visible in the window. You would want to color code the tracks so you can differentiate. This is the best way, IMHO.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
alexmillette
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: editing 2 MIDI track, 1 drum map and 1 in MIDI editor

Post by alexmillette »

Thank for your reply. I found exacly how and it's stupid lol! It have to be.

Open the notes track in the MIDI editor. At the top I select Drum map editor and in the track selector I select the keyswitch track only and that it. I have my notes at the bottom and keyswitch in the drum map editor. It would have been even easier if we were able to enter text on the keys directly in the MIDI editor. But seen we can only see one track in the editor, It is better to do it with the drum map editor.