left hand controller for DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

left hand controller for DP

Post by philbrown »

I'm right handed using a mouse and have taken on a new job doing many hours of tedious editing a week. I've got a nice Logitech mouse with extra buttons, but I really would like to have a left hand controller for the repetitive functions I'm doing. Specifically I'd like the left hand controller set up for single button commands for: left and right scroll, in and out zoom, Command-J (snip) and Undo. That's about it. The logical choice would be an extra numeric keypad on my left side and Quickeys (would I need that?) but if the numeric keypad couldn't be divorced from the normal one, IOW if it will only do the normal DP commands- then that won't work. I need independent control. Any suggestions?

PS I know there are workarounds but I have never wanted a key combo for "Set to selection bounds" as much as I do now! C'mon MOTU!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stoecklem
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: left hand controller for DP

Post by stoecklem »

I have a logitech gaming keyboard at work I use for 3-D/graphics apps and it's very nice. I will definitely be getting one for home for music software,etc as well soon. It's completely customizable with their software. You can have different keysets for different software and it will switch automatically. They make a smaller version as well that could work for you.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/produc ... -gameboard
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks stoecklem! That's pretty slick and even looks ergonomic which is not a bad thing in this case!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have a lot of room on my desk so I have a regular Apple wireless keyboard in the middle, and a full Apple keyboard to the left. (A touch pad and mouse to the right). I only use the numeric keypad and arrow keys on the full keyboard most of the time, but sometimes use other keys when I have (as you suggest) a series of repetitive key presses that have to be done between mouse clicks. If I didn't have the room on the desk, I'd get the wireless numeric keypad, but this arrangement seems very flexible to me as it is. I also have a Wacom, upper left, if there is a lot of ramp drawing to do.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
bolla

Post by bolla »

Have a look at the Contour shuttle 2.

You get 15 assignable buttons and a jog/shuttle wheel that you can also assign.
It sits nicely to the left of my keyboard. It helps the ergonomic balance.

I have three of the keys assigned to zoom levels 1,2,3 and then the jog and shuttle wheels to vertical and horizontal zoom for when I need to really get down to detail.
Other keys are assigned to quantise, duration, velocity, transpose, go to next soundbite and set memory from selection.

A bonus is that you can use it for many other programs.
Cheers, AB
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks all! @bolla I'm kind of chuckling about the Contour controller as I had an early version of that same thing many years ago. Probably plugged into an ADB port or something. I don't know what happened to it. I have very little desk room so that might be my first choice actually.

bolla

Post by bolla »

philbrown wrote:Thanks all! @bolla I'm kind of chuckling about the Contour controller as I had an early version of that same thing many years ago. Probably plugged into an ADB port or something. I don't know what happened to it. I have very little desk room so that might be my first choice actually.
Well I got my contour because I really wanted to have two mice.
One for the left hand and one for the right.
Most of us have pretty good independent control of our limbs after years of practice. Computer interface design seems to want us to be either left or right handed.
Initially I was using the Contour to mimic scrubbing on a VHS or Betacam.
So last year.....
Cheers, Adrian.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

I have both of Contour's controllers, the ShuttlePRO v2 ("street price" around $80)

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23

and the ShuttleXpress (street around $40)

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/22

The both work well (when I remember to use them).
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks a bunch ramadev for the links. Decisions, decisions...

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I got the Contour Shuttle Pro V2. It's nice! I really like the feel of it. I haven't quite decided how to configure all the buttons and wheels yet but they do provide a profile for DP which is nice as a start (it didn't look like they had a DP profile when I looked at their site). When I get it configured for my needs and train my left hand/brain this will definitely shave off some time of this tedious editing work I'm doing.

If anyone wants to chime in with tips about configuring it for DP I'm open for suggestions, especially the shuttle and jog wheels. They're not quite happening for my needs yet with the stock DP profile. I've barely messed with the software but it looks good so far.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've said it over and over, but I'll say it once more: if you would give the Apple Magic Trackpad a chance, setting it up with JiTouch for custom gestures per application, I think you'd simply be amazed. Needless to say, with no physical features on it except for a flat surface, it's handedness is agnostic. There are some methods to making it really work fast and well, without any wrist strain. I made a post around here somewhere just a week ago or less that listed those. I'll find the link if you're interested.

When I see trackballs with all their buttons, wheels, and rings, I feel like I'm looking at ancient technology. Cave stuff. I could never go back to those things. Never! It just takes a month of commitment to get over the hump, most of which occurs in the first few days. You learn to rock your finger rather than drag it for detail work. And with endless gestures possible for each app, your hands learn a sort of sign language that your computer instantly responds to. A wrist rest keeps your hand elevated so that you don't have to hold it up or bend it back to do gestures. And for goodness sake! We're musicians! We already can do things with our hands that the average mortal can't understand. This is just another.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I generally dislike trackpads. I don't jive with them at all and never have. That's my least favorite thing about my laptop.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:I generally dislike trackpads. I don't jive with them at all and never have. That's my least favorite thing about my laptop.
I predict someday you will change your opinion about that. I would never have used a laptop trackpad to run DP. When I carried my laptop, I always carried along a Kensington wireless TurboMouse Pro trackball. I mean… how could you work on that little pad? A Magic Trackpad is NOT a laptop trackpad. And don't expect the Magic Mouse to be like a Magic Trackpad, either. (a common mistake is to think it'll be the best of both worlds. It's not.)

I had low expectations for the Magic Trackpad based on my laptop experience, and put off buying one for a while. Then when my Kensington kept going out, and I found myself buying old ones to cannibalize for parts (they no longer made my favorite trackball), one day I just bought the Magic Trackpad on a whim, because I saw a video of it responding to gestures. I tried it, and it was a little awkward at first. In a few days I was mastering the moves, but it felt limited. Then I learned about JiTouch.

Well, let's just say that I had an epiphany. The truth has set me free!

Shooshie

PS: I'd wager that I have more custom commands on that trackpad than you do on any of your input devices, and I easily remember them. It's like a language your hand speaks.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote:
philbrown wrote:I generally dislike trackpads. I don't jive with them at all and never have. That's my least favorite thing about my laptop.
I predict someday you will change your opinion about that.
I have to disagree, Shoosh. Some people like holding a sax while others prefer leaning on a bass and still others prefer banging with sticks or just sitting there moving their fingers.

There's a MTPad sitting next to me for years. I've tried and tried it and still prefer my MX Revolution mouse, hands down (pun intended). Maybe I just like keeping my wrist in motion. That would make sense. Wind players don't move their wrists or hands quite as far as pianists or drummers so (I play piano & drums, Shoosh plays winds).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

To each their own, but I think Magic Trackpads are wonderful!!! I would hate to be without mine. What's surprising to me is how easy they are to use with the non-dominant hand. I'm a total klutz with my left hand, but for some reason I can use the Magic Trackpad just fine with it.

What I'd like to see in the future is for the touch technology to advance to the point where we could do combined gestures on two trackpads, so just adding one finger on the second trackpad gives us twice as many gestures and opens up many more comfortable possibilities of gestures. Maybe they already have that and I don't know about it. I'm usually five to ten years behind.
DP10.13