Confused about 64 bit mac and DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dinobass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Confused about 64 bit mac and DP8

Post by dinobass »

David Polich wrote:Ok, this issue has been bugging me all weekend (I was out of town on family
holiday, but now I'm back). I have one very basic concern, and one very basic question:

1. To toggle DP8 into either 32 or 64 bit mode, we are supposed to click on the app icon, use "get info" (Command+I keys) and then when the info window
opens, set DP8 to run in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode. Well, I have done "Get Info" on every single app I have and I do not see any "run in 32-bit mode"
checkbox. Maybe I don't have any 64-bit apps? I'm on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

2. My main concern is related to 1 (above). All I want to do is continue running DP8 in 32-bit mode because I want to continue to use UAD, Korg Legacy, Melodyne 2.0, and NI's B4II, and any other plug-ins that are not 64-bit. And that is it, that is all I care about. In other words, I will be running DP8 in 32-bit mode, never 64-bit. 64-bit isn't a necessity for me - but these particular plug-ins are because I rely on them heavily.
It works exactly as you describe, David. Rest assured DP 8 will have a "run in 32-bit" button to toggle when you "Get Info". You can set it and forget it. DP 8 defaults to 64-bit out of the box, so if someone wants it to run in 64 bit-mode they don't have to do anything on initial setup.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

>Maybe I don't have any 64-bit apps? I'm on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).<

Having or not having 64bit apps has nothing to do with running 10.6.x
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zed

Post by zed »

mikehalloran wrote:
...Mine too! But for whatever reason the bottleneck on my computer doesn't allow DP to use more than 2.4GB of Real Memory before it chokes and crashes.
At the risk of stating the obvious: Unlike MachV3 and the Photoshop apps in the pictures (thanks!), DP 7 is 32bit.

You will need DP 8.
Oh yeah I know--for sure! Dp8 is what I've been waiting for. I only hope that my unusual bottleneck will not turn out to be an issue that even DP8 is unable to resolve. Something's not right somewhere, but I've spend 3.5 years unable to get to the bottom of it, and I got tired of testing and troubleshooting. I hope DP8 is the magic pill that opens up my world again. If not, I will have to finally throw my computer off the rooftop.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

zed wrote:Something's not right somewhere, but I've spend 3.5 years unable to get to the bottom of it, and I got tired of testing and troubleshooting. I hope DP8 is the magic pill that opens up my world again. If not, I will have to finally throw my computer off the rooftop.
I almost hope it's not the answer, just so we can see the videos of that! But practicality gets the best of me, and I'd much rather that DP8 solve your problems. Here's hoping… but if it doesn't, I want videos!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Letterman would probably sponsor videotaping throwing the computer off the top of the Ed Sullivan Theatre onto 53rd St. You could use my G5 if you wanted to...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
zed wrote: Here's hoping… but if it doesn't, I want videos! Shoosh
The Vancouver Breakfast Television crew are ready to go. Just need the OK from Zed.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
zed

Post by zed »

I think for now I am just gong to put my faith in DP8 being able to resolve my problem. The alternative is much too disappointing to consider, though I might benefit from the notoriety of a rooftop throwing publicity stunt!

I'd rather be known for giving a great rooftop concert of all the songs I will finish in DP8!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

dinobass wrote:
David Polich wrote:Ok, this issue has been bugging me all weekend (I was out of town on family
holiday, but now I'm back). I have one very basic concern, and one very basic question:

1. To toggle DP8 into either 32 or 64 bit mode, we are supposed to click on the app icon, use "get info" (Command+I keys) and then when the info window
opens, set DP8 to run in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode. Well, I have done "Get Info" on every single app I have and I do not see any "run in 32-bit mode"

2. My main concern is related to 1 (above). All I want to do is continue running DP8 in 32-bit mode because I want to continue to use UAD, Korg Legacy, Melodyne 2.0, and NI's B4II, and any other plug-ins that are not 64-bit. And that is it, that is all I care about. In other words, I will be running DP8 in 32-bit mode, never 64-bit. 64-bit isn't a necessity for me - but these particular plug-ins are because I rely on them heavily.
It works exactly as you describe, David. Rest assured DP 8 will have a "run in 32-bit" button to toggle when you "Get Info". You can set it and forget it. DP 8 defaults to 64-bit out of the box, so if someone wants it to run in 64 bit-mode they don't have to do anything on initial setup.
Thanks so much. I think I'll be able to sleep better tonight.. :)
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

David Polich wrote:I have done "Get Info" on every single app I have and I do not see any "run in 32-bit mode"
Safari, for one.

Just for information, some 64-bit apps don't give the option to run in 32-bit mode from the Get Info window (iTunes, for example).

If you'd like to know what apps are 32- or 64-bit, open the System Profiler and choose Applications (takes a little while to gather the information), then click in the 64-bit column so it will sort them for you. No = 32-bit, Yes = 64-bit, obviously.
DP10.13
zed

Post by zed »

Hey folks,

Has anyone found an application which can quickly analyze all of your applications and plugins and tell you whether they are 64-bit or 32-bit?

I know that I can launch the applications and then use Activity Monitor to determine this information for those active applications, but it would be nice if all the applications in my Applications folder could be analyzed and a report provided.

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, what is the easiest why to determine which of my third party plugins for DP are 64-bit or not? As with many of you, I have a tonne of assorted plugins and I haven't found a way of determining this.

I feel like the answer is probably right under my nose and that I should know this, but if anyone has a tip or trick to share... or maybe a suggested utility that I could download, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Z
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hey Zed,
When you load up DP8 in 32 or 64 bit modes you will see which are which,the plugs or VI's will be appropriately listed.
The plugs or VI's that are not 64bit will not show up when you open the list in 64bit mode.
It's easier than you probably think it is,relax. ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

zed wrote:Hey folks,

Has anyone found an application which can quickly analyze all of your applications and plugins and tell you whether they are 64-bit or 32-bit?

I know that I can launch the applications and then use Activity Monitor to determine this information for those active applications, but it would be nice if all the applications in my Applications folder could be analyzed and a report provided.

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, what is the easiest why to determine which of my third party plugins for DP are 64-bit or not? As with many of you, I have a tonne of assorted plugins and I haven't found a way of determining this.

I feel like the answer is probably right under my nose and that I should know this, but if anyone has a tip or trick to share... or maybe a suggested utility that I could download, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Z
For apps the answer was one post above yours. System Profiler.
DP10.13
zed

Post by zed »

kgdrum wrote:Hey Zed,
When you load up DP8 in 32 or 64 bit modes you will see which are which,the plugs or VI's will be appropriately listed.
The plugs or VI's that are not 64bit will not show up when you open the list in 64bit mode.
It's easier than you probably think it is,relax. ;-)
It's not about being unrelaxed. It is about figuring out what needs to be updated now, so that I can properly prepare for the transition.

I just wrote to AudioEase, IK Multimedia and Abbey Road Plugins.

If DP8 tells you which plugins are 32-bit when you launch DP8 in 32-bit mode, that is good. However it is not useful to launch in 64-bit mode and to just find that they are missing. I'd like to determine asap which of the plugins that are not compatible so that I can send out some more letters and get things rolling, or at least to get some sense of what is going on.

I may start phasing out certain plugins from my projects if an update doesn't seem likely. I will also start noting which non-64-bit plugins I am using in my projects, so that I have a good idea of which projects are depending on 32-bit plugins and which are not.
zed

Post by zed »

Dan Worley wrote:For apps the answer was one post above yours. System Profiler.
Aha! Thank you. I'm not sure your message was there yet when I started mine.

I used to know this System Profiler thing. Gosh, if I don't do something for a couple of years it just seems to vanish from my mind.

I ended up with a long, long list of "No"s. I've got a tonne of software to update, though I'm sure that most of it will work just fine as it is. I'm gonna scroll through the list and take note of all my important apps that are still 32-bit and will then tackle the upgrade inquiries bit by bit over the next few months.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Honestly I don't think IK or UA or any developer are going to release their plugs or VI's any sooner because you or me call or write emails.
They've already got hundreds if not thousands of these inquiries,they'll release the updates when they're ready.
All of these companies know they have to catch up,what worries me is some of the smaller companies,they just might not have the resources or $$ to make the transition,easily.
The bigger companies like IK and UA I'm sure will get it together,UA seems to be almost there(a German site has the Octo listed)
http://www.da-x.de/de/daw-peripherie/dsp-karten.html

A rep from IK told me January.
It's the small companies,I wonder about......
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........