Confused about 64 bit mac and DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Confused about 64 bit mac and DP8

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Funny thing, Dan. Since I got the 8 core I haven't had those bottlenecks I had with the G5, so I may not see that much of a difference in that regard. I am hoping to see a difference in other areas and really looking forward to checking out how video is going to be implemented now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

Dan Worley wrote:Once again I'm confused.

Thanks Dix. If you will, please try the same booted to 32-bit kernel when DP8 shows up. I'm going to do the same. I have a MacPo 1.1, so I can't technically boot to 64-bit. If I'm able to access more than 4GB of RAM with DP8 on my machine I will be thrilled (I'll be trilled just to have DP8 anyway). I'll know almost immediately if there is a change in CPU load and performance. Most of my active projects are right on the verge of breaking.

Thanks!
Sorry. I should have mentioned I am in a 32bit kernel. That's the only option I have on this Mac too. …i'll try it with dp8 when it comes, but i think we can think about being thrilled now. i can't imagine why one 64bit app could access more than 4gb and another could not.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Funny thing, Dan. Since I got the 8 core I haven't had those bottlenecks I had with the G5, so I may not see that much of a difference in that regard. I am hoping to see a difference in other areas and really looking forward to checking out how video is going to be implemented now.
Yeah, I hear you, Mike. I'm so excited about the new features and plug-ins that the performance increase is kind of secondary to me, too. Wish I had an 8-core, but as long as performance isn't worse I'll be happy happy happy! You're going to have it so easy you should offer a discount. :shock: :wink:

Thanks!
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Discount? After I pay for all the crap I bought to make a loving in the first place, maybe then I'll offer a discount. LOL! Composing and editing is pretty easy as is. Having the "extras" will just make it more fun, which means more distractions, which means longer on each project, which means I have to charge more just to stay attentive to client/collaborator/producer needs. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

People, please.
A memory server is nothing but another app running in 64bit. If they can access more than 4gb of ram any other app can to it too.

The kernel takes care of things like hardware drivers and memory handling.
So when you start having up towards 100gb of ram a 32bit kernel will itself start to run out of the 4gb it can use ;)

If you have a computer that can start in 64bit kernel and you have no hardware that lack 64bit drivers, you should probably do it as there's probably some benefits.

But to sum it up: YOU CAN RUN 64bit APPS IN 32bit KERNEL AND STILL ACCESS MORE THAN 4GB OF RAM!
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

From the horses mouth, which is a welcome change!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4287
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

giddy up!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FutureLegends wrote:People, please.
A memory server is nothing but another app running in 64bit. If they can access more than 4gb of ram any other app can to it too.

The kernel takes care of things like hardware drivers and memory handling.
So when you start having up towards 100gb of ram a 32bit kernel will itself start to run out of the 4gb it can use ;)

If you have a computer that can start in 64bit kernel and you have no hardware that lack 64bit drivers, you should probably do it as there's probably some benefits.

But to sum it up: YOU CAN RUN 64bit APPS IN 32bit KERNEL AND STILL ACCESS MORE THAN 4GB OF RAM!
Thanks. I believe you're right. Obviously we weren't born knowing this crap. I hang my head in shame.
DP10.13
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Again, I loaded up MachFive 3 running in 32bit kernel on my Mac Pro 1,1 and here's the memory use:Image
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

And for those of you that seem to think VEP, Bidule, Kontakt etc use some magical "memory server" that allows it to use its own rules, here's Photoshop using 5.1gb or ram, again on a Mac Pro booting in 32bit kernel. I didn't have large enough photo files so this is with the maximum allowed open docs in Photoshop ;)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thank you, FL, and there's the proof, folks. Running your Mac Pro with a 32 bit kernel ABSOLUTELY does not prevent it from utilizing full 64 bit privileges in 64 bit apps.

Stated more positively, even when running 32 bit kernel (on a 64 bit CPU), your 64 bit apps will be able to take full advantage of the practically unlimited RAM that becomes possible in 64 bit memory addressing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BobK

Post by BobK »

Shooshie wrote:Thank you, FL, and there's the proof, folks. Running your Mac Pro with a 32 bit kernel ABSOLUTELY does not prevent it from utilizing full 64 bit privileges in 64 bit apps.

Stated more positively, even when running 32 bit kernel (on a 64 bit CPU), your 64 bit apps will be able to take full advantage of the practically unlimited RAM that becomes possible in 64 bit memory addressing.
[I posted this in Shooshie's other thread, and I think it's worth repeating here.]

This Macworld article is still relevant, though it was originally written re: Snow Leopard.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1142379 ... 4_bit.html

The pull quotes (emphasis added):
Snow Leopard runs 64-bit-capable applications in 64-bit mode regardless of whether it’s booting into a 64-bit or 32-bit kernel. In fact, the only big advantage of booting into a 64-bit kernel would be the ability to use more than 32 gigabytes of RAM. There aren't any Macs that can do that now, anyway, due to hardware limitations.

Applications running in Snow Leopard will have access to a full 16 exabyte virtual address space, just the same as if they were running in a 64-bit kernel. As a result, there’s very little difference between booting into the 64-bit kernel and the 32-bit kernel in current Mac systems. (This is not to say that there won't be a bigger difference in the future, as RAM sizes continue to grow. But presumably new high-end Mac systems will boot into the 64-bit kernel when the need arises.)

So, bottom line: If you’ve got a Core 2 Duo or Xeon based Mac — any Intel Mac not running a Core Duo or Core Solo processor — you’ll be able to run applications in 64-bit mode, which will in turn be able to take advantage of faster 64-bit registers and math routines as well as access massive amounts of memory.
Apparently the benefits include not just access to more RAM, but to more virtual memory too.

What's so confusing is that I've seen the term 64-bit applied to:

1. Processor architecture

2. The Mac OS mode (the 'kernel')

3. Applications

I still haven't seen a clear explanation and differentiation of these in layman's terms, but the bottom line is that this article confirms what Shooshie said - there's no need to boot the Mac OS into the 64-bit kernel to run applications in 64-bit mode.

Hope this helps.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Ok, this issue has been bugging me all weekend (I was out of town on family
holiday, but now I'm back). I have one very basic concern, and one very basic question:

1. To toggle DP8 into either 32 or 64 bit mode, we are supposed to click on the app icon, use "get info" (Command+I keys) and then when the info window
opens, set DP8 to run in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode. Well, I have done "Get Info" on every single app I have and I do not see any "run in 32-bit mode"
checkbox. Maybe I don't have any 64-bit apps? I'm on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

2. My main concern is related to 1 (above). All I want to do is continue running DP8 in 32-bit mode because I want to continue to use UAD, Korg Legacy, Melodyne 2.0, and NI's B4II, and any other plug-ins that are not 64-bit. And that is it, that is all I care about. In other words, I will be running DP8 in 32-bit mode, never 64-bit. 64-bit isn't a necessity for me - but these particular plug-ins are because I rely on them heavily.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
zed

Post by zed »

Dan Worley wrote:Most of my active projects are right on the verge of breaking.
Mine too! But for whatever reason the bottleneck on my computer doesn't allow DP to use more than 2.4GB of Real Memory before it chokes and crashes. On a few rare occasions it has gone up to 2.56GB or something (because the Real Memory usage grows fast even when I am not adding more plugins). Sometimes I realize I have exceeded the safety zone and save my project before I lose work, and sometimes it is too late...

If I can just get 4GB of Real Memory in my DP projects I will have almost doubled the number of VIs/plugins I can use and will be less stuck in all my projects. When I look at those images posted of applications using more than 2.4GB of Real Memory I get a real sense of longing and envy.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

...Mine too! But for whatever reason the bottleneck on my computer doesn't allow DP to use more than 2.4GB of Real Memory before it chokes and crashes.
At the risk of stating the obvious: Unlike MachV3 and the Photoshop apps in the pictures (thanks!), DP 7 is 32bit.

You will need DP 8.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro