DP8 Demo?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ExpressMix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP8 Demo?

Post by ExpressMix »

Thanks guys.

My intent here was not to knock DP or MOTU and I don't think I did. I own lots of MOTU products from a Traveler to a PCI-424 with 3 extenders to Mach 5 v3. I personally think they're a really great company. When I had issues with my Mach 5 install, phone support sorted me out quickly with no issue. Great service.

But as a customer I do personally think that they're doing this one thing wrong. I (and many others) said the same thing about Steinberg and Avid in the past (both had long histories of no demos) and they both eventually came to agree with the general market trend, and made demo versions.

I'm not saying I'm right about that to the exclusion of anyone else's opinion of that. I'm only saying that's one opinion... and a trend in a very competitive market.

I do think it's a very valid subject for adult discussion and again, if my comments were in any way offensive to anyone... apologies.

Anyway, I didn't mean to cause a dust up. I actually do get Apple doing that with Logic, they're control freaks in general. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Please know we've fielded this question for years and know people want a demo. It is not an unreasonable request. It simply has not happened and for all we want to get MOTU to do so, they don't. It's their call.

DP is amazing and the new release of DP 8 appears to be a real game changer in the DAW world.

FWIW, I can't think of a recent complaint from anyone who bought DP and hates or even dislikes it. Most bugs are gone, the features are amazing, the plugs and VIs that are included are generally good to exceptional, and damn it, people like it. Well, most of the people I know.

I was at Pixar a few years ago and was talking to a top audio editor there. He confided two things.

1- at home, he uses DP.

2- at work, they have to use DP for XML with Final Cut Pro and some other stuff.

I guess my point is, in the absence of a demo, references and anecdotal evidence may be valuable.

Scan this board. You find the good, the bad, and the best. There really is no ugly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

ps - in another thread this morning a MOTU guy (magicD) indicated that DP8 will have a PDF manual.

Will a demo be far behind? :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:ps - in another thread this morning a MOTU guy (magicD) indicated that DP8 will have a PDF manual.

That's really cool! though I hope that doesn't mean they abandon the huge brick of a manual?
what I do with other PDFs is use them for searching up things then open up the corresponding page in the hard copy! Actually DP getting a PDF is probably the best excuse I have to get an iPad! :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Book included.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Michael Canavan wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:ps - in another thread this morning a MOTU guy (magicD) indicated that DP8 will have a PDF manual.

That's really cool! though I hope that doesn't mean they abandon the huge brick of a manual?
what I do with other PDFs is use them for searching up things then open up the corresponding page in the hard copy! Actually DP getting a PDF is probably the best excuse I have to get an iPad! :headbang:
I think the PDF will be integrated in DP8, like it is in Logic, Wavelab and other software. Under the "HELP" menu.. No need for the iPad then ;)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I guess AudioDesk has served as a demo of sorts. AudioDesk is, just as DP always has been, Mac only.
Even though AudioDesk only can do a fraction of what DP does it gives you a feel for what it's like.
Maybe they'll port AudioDesk to Windows as well, who knows?
What they should really do is to have some sort of Digital Performer LE an include that with all their audio interfaces.

In the meantime, if you are really serious about getting DP (as long as you like it) is to call MOTU and ask them if they have some "money back" guarantee. That way you would still have to pay for it but with the assurance that you'd get your money back if you don't like it. Not sure how things like that work with software though...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Last edited by FutureLegends on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Radiogal wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: That's really cool! though I hope that doesn't mean they abandon the huge brick of a manual?
I think the PDF will be integrated in DP8, like it is in Logic, Wavelab and other software. Under the "HELP" menu.. No need for the iPad then ;)
Well I hope that isn't the case, or if it is it's a separate rtf/PDF that you can find in DP. The allure of an iPad is as a "book" in the sense that the PDF isn't covering your work on screen that you're looking up something to solve a problem for. So an iPad becomes the best of both worlds, a book you can take to the bedroom, bathroom etc. and a very searchable database! :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I can confirm our beloved printed manual is still brick like,lol
Just got DP8,the manual is 992 pages of beauty,I haven't installed yet but I feel snappier! ;-)

It feels like Springtime to me!!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
ExpressMix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ExpressMix »

Yes, afaik any pdf on the screen can be emailed so anything you view in Adobe Acrobat on the screen can be sent to your iPad.

I have copies of all my software manuals on the iPad in iBooks. Handy.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

kgdrum wrote:I can confirm our beloved printed manual is still brick like,lol
Just got DP8,the manual is 992 pages of beauty,I haven't installed yet but I feel snappier! ;-)

:woohoo: Congrats!!! Keep us posted :)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
MIDI Life Crisis

You bastard! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:

You bastard! :)

I expected that kind of warm response from my sump brother. ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Last edited by FutureLegends on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.