Setting up a little space before the beginning of a cue

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
davidmkgrossman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Setting up a little space before the beginning of a cue

Post by davidmkgrossman »

Here's the scenario:
I want to begin a cue at a specific place in the movie, with a new tempo, right on the first beat of the measure. So I start a new sequence (chunk). But I want some non-tempo stuff to come before.

Can I set a new chunk right at the cue minus (for example) 8 measures? The only way I figured I could do it was to figure out how many frames 8 measure is, and subtract this from time code of the spot where I want the cue to begin, but this didn't work very well for me (bad calculating?). I couldn't quite get the in-tempo part of the sequence to begin exactly where I wanted. It was close enough, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this easily.
Thanks!
David
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Setting up a little space before the beginning of a cue

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might try doing the lead in separate from the score in different chunks and popping them into song mode (as I discovered today) and then merging the song to a new sequence, or just do the music as a separate chunk and merge them when you're done.

Yeah, SMPTE calculations can get confusing sometimes, especially when you want to go to something before the actual movie start time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

Use Modify Conductor Track>Insert Measures to Insert the 8 measures before bar 1 AFTER setting the sequence start time and tempo. For time code calculations use Hiro's Timecode Calculator widget.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
davidmkgrossman

Inserting measures seemed like it would be a great, simple solution, but that doesn't work, because now the new blank measures have pushed the rest of the stuff forward, but I wanted that stuff to start at the exact point I specified. If I could say "insert 8 new measures starting at measure number negative-8" then I'd be golden.

The widget looks interesting. Thanks.

dg
frankf

Post by frankf »

davidmkgrossman wrote:Inserting measures seemed like it would be a great, simple solution, but that doesn't work, because now the new blank measures have pushed the rest of the stuff forward, but I wanted that stuff to start at the exact point I specified. If I could say "insert 8 new measures starting at measure number negative-8" then I'd be golden.

The widget looks interesting. Thanks.

dg
what do you mean by "pushing the stuff forward"? Insert measures before bar 1 will add specified number of measures and will adjust the Chunk (sequence) start time accordingly so bar 1, beat 1 remains at the same frame location it was prior to using the Insert command. Am I missing something?
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
davidmkgrossman

By forward, I mean later on in the timeline, further to the right on the screen.

For example: I have a cue, which is at 40 minutes into the movie. Now I want to put some atmospheric stuff before it hits that cue. (it's important that the first beat of the measure lands right at the 40 min mark). If I insert 8 measures, the problem is, I haven't backed up 8 measures worth in the movie.

I suspect MIDI-life-crisis' solution may be the best.

It could be that I don't understand the "set chunk start" dialog box?
frankf

Post by frankf »

What I said, but let me make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Since you didn't provide start times or tempos, let's assume the following:
The Movie starts at 1:00:00:00. The cue and Sequence start at 1;40;00;00 at bar 1. The tempo of the cue is 60bpm, tempo is set to Conductor track and the meter is 4/4.
-using the Insert Measures command, insert 8 measures (=32 beats, =32seconds at 60bpm) before bar 1. The chunk/seq will now start at bar -7 and the chunk/seq start time will change to 1;39;28;00 ie, 8x4=32 seconds earlier. Bar 1, beat 1 will remain at 1;40;00;00, and the relation to the Movie will not change. You will see 32seconds more of it at the top and can record in those 8 inserted bars.
Read the sections in the manual on the Conductor Track and Movie Window for more info.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
davidmkgrossman

I tried again - and you were right. I was missing one crucial step: I had to check the "Maintain all times following the insertion point" box. Just couldn't figure out what that meant.

Thanks for the help!!!

David
frankf

Post by frankf »

I forgot to mention that, so give yourself a lot of the credit !
Frank
Frank Ferrucci