starting a sequence in the middle of a movie clip

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
kasiemba
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kasiemba »

So, folks... I'm getting back into film scoring in DP 7 after years of songwriting (and some scoring) in Logic. My first order of business is to figure out how to best score multiple cues in different sequences (within a single project). The process was easier in version 5. Not sure what I'm missing in 7.
First of all, I want my first chunk to start on a scene in the MIDDLE of a movie. I'd like to start composing there with the downbeat for measure 1 hitting on a specific marker. I used to do a little thing with "set movie time" and "set chunk start" but, I don't quite remember the process. Can anyone help me? I would genuinely appreciate it. Thanks.

(i hope i'm making sense)
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by frankf »

kasiemba wrote:So, folks... I'm getting back into film scoring in DP 7 after years of songwriting (and some scoring) in Logic. My first order of business is to figure out how to best score multiple cues in different sequences (within a single project). The process was easier in version 5. Not sure what I'm missing in 7.
First of all, I want my first chunk to start on a scene in the MIDDLE of a movie. I'd like to start composing there with the downbeat for measure 1 hitting on a specific marker. I used to do a little thing with "set movie time" and "set chunk start" but, I don't quite remember the process. Can anyone help me? I would genuinely appreciate it. Thanks.

(i hope i'm making sense)
The basic idea is: For multiple cues in same project, use the same movie for all sequences, an option in the Movie window mini menu. Set the frame rate to match the Movie. Set the movie start time in frames to its start time (the first frame of the movie even if it's black, ask the editor). Spot the cues and make a new sequence for each. Set the Chunk start time for each (cue) sequence to the location you've spotted. Do not change the Movie start time for each sequence.
HTH, Frank

Frank Ferrucci
DP 7.24
Mac Pro 3,1 OS 10.6.8
Metric Halo 2882, ULN-2
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HarmonicMotion

Re: starting a sequence in the middle of a movie clip

Post by HarmonicMotion »

Set chunk start time is under the pull down menu on the left with the sequences in it. Set your time to where ever you'd like to start in timecode and then make sure you have set Measure 1 to start there. If you want to use relative time for the chunk, then set the Realtime setting to 0:00.00 for each chunk.

That should work great.