Meter Bridge - what is used for?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I realised today on the rare occasion when I looked at Consolidated Windows that one window I had never used - the Meter Bridge. I can't figure out what I would use this for. What do DP users on the forum use this window for and why would they use it instead of the Mixer?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Meter Bridge - what is used for?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I use it to check levels to be sure they are broadcast or production correct. To see them you have to expand the window, otherwise it makes no sense.

They are extremely useful is seeing what is happening where in the chain.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sprout

Post by sprout »

I use it for checking busses, auxes, inputs, etc., so I can make sure I'm not inadvertently clipping somewhere that's not showing up in the mixer.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You can't always get all the mixer channels on a screen, but you can wrap the meter bridge to rows and see all of them. You can also change the db range that the meter bridge shows by dragging it up and down. Or make it really big so you can see it well from a distance. And it monitors channels that won't be in the mixer. All of this can be handled some other way, but the bridge can be more convenient.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
Alfred Zigoma

Post by Alfred Zigoma »

I use at record, especially at multichannel.
It is very convenient to track an overload
MacPro Quad-Core 2.8 GHZ 16GB RAM OSX 10.10, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.11, Mac Mini MD388 OSX 10.10
DP 8, SSL MADI AlphaLink MX, UA Apollo, SSL Sigma, PMC Tb2, ATC SCM 20, SSL Alpha VHD Pre, Kemper, Powercore x8, UAD Octo, MC Mix(х2), MC Control, Melodyne, Revoice Pro, RX4, Soundtoys, McDSP, Waves, all Slate, VSL VE Pro, SE, Suite, NI Kontakt 5, Halion 5, MachFive 3, BPM, etc...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I typically FORGET to use it when I'm troubleshooting. At some late stage of the game I will accidentally click on the Meter Bridge, or I'll actually remember to do it, and voilá, the problem becomes evident based on the activity in the I/O and/or busses. It's a very nice addition to DP. I wish I had a separate monitor just for the meter bridge, so I could just leave it open all the time.

My problem with the meter bridge is that it's in the way when I'm not using it. Maybe if it could be a full-screen click-thru transparency, then it might be more useful to me. But I have to open it to use it, because I have no place for it. Yeah, I could add another space for it, but I'd still have to GO to that space to see it, and the problem isn't about getting to it. It's about "out of sight, out of mind." I forget about it when I'm not using it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I sometimes use them when micing up drums for example... then I can sit at the drums at hit things and see from afar that there's signal in the correct input.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Thanks guys - that has given me food for thought - I will start using it as I really had no idea it was even there. I can now see why it might be useful to me - thanks for the feedback.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, I've never used it either. If I'm recording, I either monitor CueMix or the LEDs on my 8pre (which suck, btw). And I really don't see what the point of monitoring busses is. If everything is 32bit floating point, then it really doesn't matter if you're peaking until the master fader. I know it's just good practice not to peak anywhere, and I make sure I'm not peaking on any channels... but if it peaks on a buss IN, I really don't care. I only rarely boost an aux out above 0dB, and if I'm not peaking the channel, I know that I'm not peaking the aux. And really, who cares anyway... ya know what I mean?

What bothers me is that Meter Bridge would be the perfect place for various different kinds of meters: VU Meters, RMS Meters, etc. If it had those, I'd be using it every day.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Im ALWAYS using the meter bridge. I find it one of DPs best features. Multitrack recording, mixing and mastering. Don't know when Im NOT using it. Gain staging tool number one IMO.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
rodger1811

Post by rodger1811 »

Radiogal wrote:Im ALWAYS using the meter bridge. I find it one of DPs best features. Multitrack recording, mixing and mastering. Don't know when Im NOT using it. Gain staging tool number one IMO.
Same here!!!!! +1,000,000
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.4GHz, 24G RAM, OSX 10.8.2, DP 8.01
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU HD192/Black Lion Modified
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad x 2
Universal Audio (Entire Plugin Library)
Waves Mercury+ Studio Classics
Tons of other goodies; to many to mention here
Tim

Post by Tim »

I wish the meter would remember, and open with the channels that were last in view.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

+1
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS