Do you see what eyesore? Musical Saw sample

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Do you see what eyesore? Musical Saw sample

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just a little quick demo of a musical saw I created from here.

Still have a bit of tweaking, but the point is this took all of about 5 minutes or less in MachFive 3. I actually needed a musical saw for an animation and rather than try to hire one or learn to play one, this seemed a good solution. The entire M5 sample is about 850k and the program about 8k. Once I fix the attack and filters, it'll work just fine.

:)

Another happy fanb... camper.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
joker77
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Do you see what eyesore? Musical Saw sample

Post by joker77 »

Nice work! Can you explain how you did it? :D
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
MIDI Life Crisis

Pretty easy, actually. The hard part was finding the sample. After that, just drop it in M5-3, set the note range, find good loop points(that took the most time), set the layer to mono portamento with a glide time about 11:00, drop in a simple reverb and EQ out the aliasing, increase the sample start time to eliminate the long delay in the note start in that particular sample, and use a lot of legato in playing the patch.

Really very simple even though it looks like a lot of instructions. Each one takes about 5 seconds except the loop. I only had one sample to work with so my instrument is of a very limited range.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
steveo

Post by steveo »

That's a great saw! I've recorded the world's premier sawist a number of times; there's an edge to the tone that's a bit subdued in your example, but there's no misteaking it for anything but a saw.

One thing about a real live saw, though, is that its louder than you can imagine.
--
Steve
OSX 10.7.x, DP 9.02
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

There was a band that played Fez in NYC that used a bowed saw and they were fun to mix.... can't remember their name right now but what a sound a haunting distinctive sound it can make with the right person playing.
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
MIDI Life Crisis

steveo wrote:That's a great saw! I've recorded the world's premier sawist a number of times; there's an edge to the tone that's a bit subdued in your example, but there's no misteaking it for anything but a saw.

One thing about a real live saw, though, is that its louder than you can imagine.
I agree. What good is a saw without an edge! LOL! But yes, I had to bring the high EQ down to cut some aliasing artifacts. Once I get a couple of clean samples, I'll make the ultimate saw patch... LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hugy »

I would try using the Stretch or IRCAM Granular oscillator as well.