Bounce to Quicktime "anomaly"

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by williemyers »

h'lo all,
this is a note for those of you who regularly "Bounce to QT movie"...others, go have a beer...
I hit a brick wall this a.m. and thought I would pass it along for your thoughts and/or to avoid that same wall.

I quite frequently bounce my demo mix to a QT to send to client for approval. *Usually*, in prep for creating the music, I will; (a.) timecode (TC) the movie to start at 00:01:00.00, (b.) using a template that starts at Bar -1/1/000 and after determining an initial tempo, set my chunk to start so that Bar 1/1/000 is 00:01:00.00 and off I go. Once I have a workable demo, bounce it to the movie and - using Quicktime 7 Pro - "share" it to the client.

Now often, in order to get a nice ringout on my track, I'll need a little more picture than the source movie has. So, I use the "Extend video tracks with black frames" option. It's all worked very well for some time...until today.

On this project, I actually need my audio to start *before* 00:01:00.00, at 00:00:58.00. But the picture, while starting at 00:01:00.00, only had footage that started about 00:00:59.14 or something like that. But I thought, well the "Extend video tracks with black frames" option would/should work in both directions? i.e., it would add frames at the top of the bounce, as well as add them at the end.
And...it seemed...it did.

But now, the "anomaly" - - you were wondering if I was going to get to that, weren't you?! :wink: :wink:

The resultant bounced QT.mov crashed both QT 7 Pro & QT X unmercifully! It would open in QT X, but would crash as soon as I tried to "share" or "save as" or anything like that. In QT 7 Pro, it just crashed it without even opening the movie.

My workaround was to go back to DP, make another bounce->QT, this time starting at 00:01:00.00. That one, I was able to "share" via QT 7 Pro, but of course, it didn't have my audio from 00:00:58.00 to 00:01:00.00.

The only thing that I can figure that was different about this bounce was that I was trying to add black frames to the *begining* of the movie, as well as the end. Something I normally wouldn't do, but something that the book says I should be able to (DP7, pg.986)

So that's it. I'm just wondering if any of you have come across this situ, as well? And if you haven't, you might want to keep an eye out (like this guy did :arrrr: ) for it...
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Never tried to add frames at the top and for every client and collaborator I've ever had this is a major no-no! Why? Because the film starts when the filmmaker says it starts and not a moment or frame before. I've even had pro projects that had no countdown or other lead ins of any kind and when I asked for them I was told "other composers have been able to deal with this; deal with it!" And as abruptly as that!

If you insist :) on adding a lead in, I'd find a few frames of black and paste them into the movie in QT Pro (or better yet in Final Cut Express to make a nice fade in) but I'd really try to avoid that with any professional filmmaker. The best case is to to talk to the filmmaker and talk about changing how the film opens. If they wanted black, they'd have put black. If they don't know what they want - well, that's another story for another discussion.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Re: Bounce to Quicktime "anomaly"

Post by williemyers »

MLC, actually the "audio" that I was trying to add to the begining was the tried-and-true old, vaunted "2 POP"! My music did, of course, start with the start of the picture, but there are - believe it or not - many editors that still use (and request) a "2 POP" on all audio tracks (including music). This particular editor had not put an Academy leader ahead of the pix start, though I'm sure there'll be one on the release version.

But getting back to my query, whether or not DP can add frames prior to pix, I'm going by their claim on pg.986/DP7, "If the audio starts before the source video begins or extends past where the source video ends...." etc.
As I mentioned, I've used that last part without fail many times, but would now have reservations about the first claim...
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me