Displays/Monitors - what to buy?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BKK-OZ »

I have spent most of my holiday tearing my wee little studio down and re-patching everything, partly because I bought myself a new working desk and I had to, but partly because it was time to ferret out the dust bunnies hiding in my tangle of cables and set them free.

Anywaze, my new set up means I have to get new monitors.
(It is a long story, but the short version is that I now need to mount my monitors on swing arms, and my current monitors don't have Vesa mounts).
I am currently using a Samsung BX2450 (24 inch, HDMI, DVI, etc. it is a nice monitor) and my old CMV 21 inch (which has a big scratch on it, so it needs to go anyway).

So, I have to figure out a few things, such as should I:
  • - get two 24inch monitors, or one 27inch
    - go for IPS or standard LCD/LED
I am trying to stick to a budget of ~$500 for the monitor(s), because I know that the swing arm will cost me ~$185. Any monitor I get needs to have the Vesa mount, so that I can swing it out of the way when I need to.

My options so far are: I also looked at some Asus monitors, but reports seemed to be mixed, many negative about dead pixels, etc.

Suggestions? Ideas? Recent happy/sad purchasing experiences?
All advice most welcome.

*yeah, I know that $375 + $375 > $500, but the maximum resolution on the Lenovo monitor is 1900x1200, whereas the others are all 1900x1080
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Can't respond to the monitors mentioned, but the swing arm price seems a little high.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Re: Displays/Monitors - what to buy?

Post by Shooshie »

Not an expert on this, but my son was researching monitors today and came up with an Asus 1920 x 1080. Seems like it was a 26", but I don't know the model. Anyway, he said it had something like 25 or 75 (I wasn't really paying attention) 5-egg reviews on New-Egg. For the price of $250 US, it seems like a steal.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

This is the arm I am looking at, it is a 'Kensington Smartfit'. It is the cheapest one that I have found that moves on all axes*, has gas lift, and can carry ~10kgs or so. I know, my requirements sound excessive, but I don't mind spending money on my personal ergonomics, esp. the older I get!

*I actually had to look that one up, axes is the plural of axis.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:... my son was researching monitors today and came up with an Asus 1920 x 1080...
Shoosh
Yep, I have been tempted by the Asus stuff too - but it is hard to find authoritative reviews on their stuff, and it seems like the forums always fill up with problems like dead pixels.

I was also looking at this one, an Asus VE278Q, but I just don't know about the quality.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
macguy

Post by macguy »

These are really high resolution and look great! You can get them cheap too if you can find them but no 23" has as good resolution I've found for the price. They're much higher resolution than what you've mentioned... but they are a bit hard to find.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2343BWX-2 ... B001N0H8YW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bad andy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bad andy »

Don't get ripped off on the swing arms. See if monoprice.com has any of the desk mount variety like you've posted.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

macguy wrote:These are really high resolution and look great! You can get them cheap too if you can find them but no 23" has as good resolution I've found for the price. They're much higher resolution than what you've mentioned... but they are a bit hard to find.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2343BWX-2 ... B001N0H8YW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are a bit hard to find - not a current model if one goes by Samsung's site. Also not certain that it has the Vesa mount, but in any regard, they don't seem to be available anymore.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:
Shooshie wrote:... my son was researching monitors today and came up with an Asus 1920 x 1080...
Shoosh
Yep, I have been tempted by the Asus stuff too - but it is hard to find authoritative reviews on their stuff, and it seems like the forums always fill up with problems like dead pixels.

I was also looking at this one, an Asus VE278Q, but I just don't know about the quality.
Dead pixels are possible on any monitor, by any company. I think there are one or two on my 23" Cinema HD Display from Apple, circa 2002, which is still going strong and is a great monitor even today. I've just forgotten where they are. I just don't see them anymore. Or maybe they woke up! [zombie pixels!!!]

A dead pixel or two will not be the end of the world. If there are a LOT of them, then that constitutes reason to return it. Personally, when I buy a new monitor, it will be an Apple. I've never been dissatisfied by a monitor from Apple, and I've been getting them in some form or another since 1984. But I'm willing to shell out the extra bucks, even if they are overpriced. I mean… this Cinema Display has lasted 10 years and is still bright and has great color. But if cost is the object, then it's hard to beat an Asus.

Now, about monitor arms; I don't think the price you quoted is at all high. In fact, it's possibly quite low, depending on which arm it is. Here is a site that has rather stiff prices, not the discount online prices we tend to expect. When you find prices lower than this, you're doing well. Above this would be a rip-off. I go to this site, because they have a wide selection of the higher-quality office items. It's a good point of reference. I'd expect to pay about 60% — 80% of their prices at a discount site.

Compare their price to this Humanscale M8 at Amazon.

Better still, add the dual-monitor crossbar at this place, and the price is $360, about what two cheaper monitor arms would cost you. Plus, you have the added advantage of having one of the best monitor arms on the planet, and just one rather than two, which reduces clutter and gives you more desktop space. Something to consider.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

ahhh Mr Shooshie, always generous with your time and advice.

Know what is funny about Humanscale?
Apparently, no one in Oz sells the stuff!
Humanscale's site doesn't show any Oz distributors or retailers.
I suppose I could get it shipped over, but that isn't my preferred thing.

Maybe you are right about the Asus, the prices are pretty hard to fault.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Just got a 22" Samsung SA350 to use as my second display alongside my iMac. It is really good quality - so I would recommend Samsung as they are not that expensive either.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Has anyone tried using a TV monitor as a display?
I know about the pros and cons put the quality has improved alot in the past.
Just curious I was looking for something around 32".
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:Know what is funny about Humanscale?
Apparently, no one in Oz sells the stuff!

I started thinking about that right after I posted. That's a cryin' shame, because Humanscale is good stuff. Stylish, ergonomic, and well-made. But while I was looking that up I saw dozens of sources for monitor arms. I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting something that works brilliantly on your new workstation desk.

Hmmm… do Ozlanders have a special word for workstation desks? You know, like billabong (pond) or station (ranch)? How about a Dawgeridoo?
:lol:

Shoosh
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I got a Samsung 27" yesterday, I has reasonable color and sharpness it was on sale so I got it for a good deal. I use Apple displays for critical color adjustments but for general use it is a good display. I looked at a bunch in the store and I am a bit fussy. I also got a 2nd video card; a ATI Radeon HD5770 1gb video card. Photos of my new display bellow.

Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
macguy

Post by macguy »

BKK-OZ wrote:
macguy wrote:These are really high resolution and look great! You can get them cheap too if you can find them but no 23" has as good resolution I've found for the price. They're much higher resolution than what you've mentioned... but they are a bit hard to find.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2343BWX-2 ... B001N0H8YW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are a bit hard to find - not a current model if one goes by Samsung's site. Also not certain that it has the Vesa mount, but in any regard, they don't seem to be available anymore.
Hmmm... the link shows one available... it's not current but the specs are better than the links you mentioned in your post, or anything "current" by a long shot, and if screen real estate is needed, then the resolution this provides smokes anything out there for it's size. An LCD monitor only takes a few inches of space on a desk so going wall mount seems a bit convoluted for a DAW workspace. I see a lot of people using TV's and mounting them on a wall but the res is terrible (for computing anyway) but it looks "cool"... it all depends on what you're doing I guess... hey TT, that's one killer project room you got there!