Let's talk more granular.. ; )

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

joker77
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by joker77 »

So I'm in love with the new Mach Five 3 and it's granular synthesis/sampling technology, my hats off to both Otristan and Uvi, as well as Motu for supporting this baby.
From what I heard "MIDI crisis" do in his demo's I was blown away,as well as the vid's @ motu.

My question is regarding playing back sample's in a polyphonic manner like the one shown in the video here. (skip to about 2.35 seconds) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3jWSudTQE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is the guy in the video playing back via MIDI with three finger chords or what? I've tried this,and haven't been so lucky, is there a method to the sweet madness that you have found,that works well?

Perhaps I need to use the direction to search for just the right sound to make it playable better?

Your thoughts and tips are very much welcome.. Again thanks for such an awesome sampler.. Fwiw I switched totally to my mac with m5v3 and it's a beautiful thing my friends.
cheers,bobby
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
joker77

Re: Let's talk more granular.. ; )

Post by joker77 »

More specific,I guess what I'm asking is, say I have a sample via granular synthesis, I now want to play this sample with chords and polyphonic, but want it to match a typical piano to layer it with, is there a way to re tune this sample to get it to match via root note? Is there perhaps a method you are using to make this work?

I hope I'm not thinking to forward here,or over anyones heads, it's just an amazing piece of kit,and I'm thinking this would be an amazing feat to figure this all out.. :wink:

Any tips??
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
hugy

Post by hugy »

Could your clarify your issue

You don't succeed to play chord with the granular ? or the pitch is not matching the one from your other layer ?

the chord should work out of the box.

If your issue is the tuning you only need to match the root note with the pitch of the portion of the sample you're playing.

HTH
joker77

Post by joker77 »

hugy wrote:Could your clarify your issue

You don't succeed to play chord with the granular ? or the pitch is not matching the one from your other layer ?

the chord should work out of the box.

If your issue is the tuning you only need to match the root note with the pitch of the portion of the sample you're playing.

HTH
Hi Hugy,
No issues in playing the chord, but the notes sometimes don't sound right.perhaps this is because the sample perhaps is playing a chord itself? It just depends,on this how good it can sound I guess.. This is what i'm asking users, where do you find the best option,single notes, or music loops chopped??

As far as tuning, thanks I'll have a try at your suggestion, but how do I change the root note of the granular sample or the piano? Is there a way to set this somewhere? We also have a tuner plugin in mach five,can this be used to find correct note tune? More info on how to re tune the piano for example I need if possible?

Thanks for your reply.
hugy

Post by hugy »

No issues in playing the chord, but the notes sometimes don't sound right.perhaps this is because the sample perhaps is playing a chord itself
imho yes. It does make sense if you think about it musically.

Anyway, give the manual a ride, you'll find everything explained regarding settings the root note and stuff like that.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Thank you. will do so..
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yeah, the manual isn't that hard a read. Also check out the YouTube vids a few more times. It's a deep app for sure.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
joker77

Post by joker77 »

thanks
hugy

Post by hugy »

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Grain size. Play around with it. ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
joker77

Post by joker77 »

8)