Where to sell used keyboards?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
msmeritt
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by msmeritt »

I have three keyboards -- a digital piano, a MIDI controller, and a synthesizer -- that I'd like to sell before I get a new one I have my eye on, and I have absolutely no idea what's the best way/place to sell them. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm in New York State if that would make any difference. The three keyboards are:

Yamaha NP-30 (with optional power adapter and all original instructions/packaging) -- http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... mode=model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 (with all original instructions/packaging) -- http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct04/a ... tation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kawai K1 synthesizer (with original power adapter and instructions, plus a nearly-new gig bag) -- http://www.vintagesynth.com/kawai/kawaik1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again for any advice.
Mark S. Meritt -- http://marksmeritt.com/
Potluck Creative Arts -- http://potluckcreativearts.com/

MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB | OS 10.8.5 | MOTU Digital Performer 7.24 | NI Kontakt 5 | EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete | EW/QL Symphonic Choirs | QL Colossus | QL Ra | QL Stormdrum | EW Percussive Adventures 2 | EW/PMI Bosendorfer 290 Grand Piano | G-Force impOSCar 1.11
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Amazon is a good way to go. Craig's list is also an option. I wouldn't touch eBay with a 10 foot bid.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

+1 Craig's list
Gear Slutz and VI-control both have classified sections(got my MacPro @VI)
GC also buys used gear if the others don't pan out for you.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

The only thing with CL is you don't know who you're letting into you home or studio. Amazon has been been very positive but of course you have to ship.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Re: Where to sell used keyboards?

Post by HCMarkus »

I love threads like this... "Where do I sell this (insert link to your gear) ?" Can't think of a more creative way to violate the no ads policy of this forum? :roll: If you asked the question without the links/descriptions, I'd respect you in the morning MSM.
msmeritt

Post by msmeritt »

I know so little about the keyboard market, I provided the links in case anyone thought that particular things might sell better at particular places. I'm not asking anyone to buy. I haven't posted at Craigslist, Amazon, eBay, or anywhere else I could put up an ad, not yet, because I'm honestly asking the question about where is worth posting. Not to mention that I highly doubt anyone here would buy anything I have, since it's all fairly low-end compared to most of what most people here probably use, and who here is going to bother to pay to ship something like that? No deception intended. Think what you will.

MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB | OS 10.8.5 | MOTU Digital Performer 7.24 | NI Kontakt 5 | EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete | EW/QL Symphonic Choirs | QL Colossus | QL Ra | QL Stormdrum | EW Percussive Adventures 2 | EW/PMI Bosendorfer 290 Grand Piano | G-Force impOSCar 1.11
MIDI Life Crisis

I didn't see this as a for sale ad at all, although placing it in the recording section wouldn't have been my first choice. I don't think it violated the for same policy at all. No prices, no nothin' like that.

:headbang:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
msmeritt

Post by msmeritt »

Thanks.

No other section seemed a better choice to me.

MIDI Life Crisis

I would have gone with the o/t theoretical myself, but different strokes...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sorry to be snippy Mr. Merit. It just rubbed me the wrong way when it was the first post I saw this morning.

I have seen too many similar posts in the past, and don't understand why a detailed description of the goods for sale (with original power adapter and instructions, plus a nearly-new gig bag) has anything to do with the question being posed to the forum.

Apologies, as always, to all whose intent is misunderstood.
MIDI Life Crisis

That's the difference between us HK - I get snippy later in the day... like around NOW! :)

LOL!

Is it 5PM yet?

Frodo?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I have to agree on MLC's eBay comment -- after my latest fiasco, it is doubtful I will use them again as a seller, as seller's have almost no protections anymore.

To sum it up, someone bought a high-end item from me using the BIN option, 12 hours before its second renewal was about to end, and without asking questions first, then abused the "buyer protection" feature by returning it for a refund when they "discovered" that it was "broken, because it only goes to -10 dBFS" -- something that could have been resolved in five minutes had they bothered to do their research. As a result, I have lost twelve hours of my last week in pro bono "tech support", the extremely messy aftermath of a reversed PayPal charge and eBay return, etc.

I doubt this is at all uncommon an occurrence, given that they take buyers at their word and don't even check with sellers even when they have documented proof (via spec sheets) that a buyer is either lying, being deceitful, or is just plain mentally lazy combined with being compulsive and impatient.

I was almost going to put a more detailed version of this as a new topic in the off-topic forum, to warn others, but this is as good a place as any to alert people of the caveats of that auction site as it stands today. It was way better years ago.

Craiglist, on the other hand, has improved a great deal, and now has a simple mechanism for renewing ads so that you don't have to take the trouble to keep uploading your photos.

I didn't realize Amazon had a used service; I thought they merely served as a search engine and third-party arbiter for other used sites?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Amazon is the only site I use to sell. I'll buy off CL and maybe off eBay but I'll only sell stuff on Amazon. Pretty easy, frankly, and they have to pay in advance. Never had a return on anything except one item that I had placed in the wrong description. I just left the guy keep it since I got the damn thing for free. LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

MLC, thanks for the simple and straightforward answer.

I'll look into it when my unit returns on Monday.

Now I just have to pray he didn't sabotage it to "get back" at me for not reading his mind in advance of his impulse buy.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Who you callin MLS! :lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS