Shipping to Canada

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Jupiter8
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Shipping to Canada

Post by Jupiter8 »

Just wondering if any Canadians here received version 3 yet and if so how long did it take? What can I expect to be for total shipping charges and duty if any. I'm in Toronto and I can't find a retailer here that carries it yet. Anyone have a guess to when stores will start carrying it? And can I expect them to sell the product with the competitive upgrade deal?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Shipping to Canada

Post by bayswater »

I expect it in the Spring when the first turnip wagon comes over the mountains to Vancouver from Alberta. Or go to the MOTU web site. It's in my shopping basket until I hear more reactions from long time users.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

Just got mine (an upgrade) this week from MOTU, about 7 days from order to reception. Shipping was $17.95 US. There was no duty - this time. Some past shipments from MOTU have been hit with duty (essentially HST) and a lovely brokerage charge from UPS - more than the duty. Why not this time? No idea.
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Bowman wrote:Just got mine (an upgrade) this week from MOTU, about 7 days from order to reception. Shipping was $17.95 US. There was no duty - this time. Some past shipments from MOTU have been hit with duty (essentially HST) and a lovely brokerage charge from UPS - more than the duty. Why not this time? No idea.
Did it come via UPS this time? I try not to use them for that very reason. They charge fees others don't.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Usually MOTU marks the value of the material only, not the license. That way I've never had to pay duty here in Sweden when ordering upgrades from MOTU... Which is good cause they charge $79.95 for the shipping!
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Buzzy

Post by Buzzy »

Shipping is my biggest pet peeve. :mumble:

I always include comments asking vendors to declare the value as disks & manuals rather than the whole value license & all. The reason is that the declared value is what they use to asses all the extra tax & fees that us poor non USA consumers have to endure (so much for "free trade" eh?). My efforts have been mixed, sometimes the vendors comply, other times they don't. About a year ago I had it out with Propellerheads when I bought their Record/Reason combo in advance. Their promo was going to send me the Reason 4 package, which I already had and was using, then when the duo became available they would ship it "free of charge" which of course never takes into account international shipping charges & extra rip-off fees. I specifically asked them not to send it but they did anyway. I wrote them a stern letter and had to later apologize because somehow when the next package came their were no fees (I'm not sure how or why, maybe they prepaid them?) That company is based in Sweden & maybe they understand this international shipping debacle. Lately I've been writing letters in advance to the specific sales departments getting them to clarify their declaration policy before I place an order. Again mixed results especially with time restricted sales. Suffice it to say I always choose the download only option if it is available.

End of rant. :brucelee:
.Bzz...

Mac Pro 6 Core-10.14.6-32GB | DP 10 | 828mkII fw | Receptor 1&2 |Reason 10.2 | Goliath | EWQLSO Gold | QL RA | Voices of Passion | Ocean Way Drums Platinum | SSD-EX | Chris Hein Horns 1&2 | Komplete 12 | AAS - Ultra Analog | BS Accordions | Nomad Factory Integral Bundle | WaveArts Power Suite 5 | Izotope Music Production 3 | Variax 600| TD-8 Drums ||STUDIO››|| MacPro QuadCore-2.66-10.4.11-8GB | 828mk3 fw | 8Pre fw (X2)| MC Mix (X3) MC Control ||
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Same here. I've had endless battles with UPS. They've called me from the border offering to provide "brokerage" services to get a set one free sample CD across the border for $50. I've been charged a $175 "boxing" fee for a guitar that was put in a shipping box at the factory, and charged a fee for calculating taxes, and then charged tax on the fee. If you can find someone with a business address with a receiving bay, and have it delivered there, magically, all these fees disappear. I guess the people in receiving just tell them to get stuffed.

I have none of these problems with Fedex, Purolator, or the US Postal Service.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Another thing that annoys me with delivery is that, while it's their entire business to deliver things, a simple thing as a code to get in a door seem to stump them.
My studio is in a basement with no clear indication where the entrance is. So I usually have things delivered to my home instead. I try to include the door code and phone number, still they always fail... and I have to contact them etc...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Wow FL you give some one your door code, things must be different in Sweden. The shipping rate you pay is crazy!

Mine will be at my home on Tuesday via UPS.

I have a PO Box as my mail box is 1/2 mile from my home; I am on a privet road so they do not come any closer. I tell shippers that if it comes by mail send it to the PO Box and if it comes to my home send it to my street address. Even though I give specific information many of them still manage to get it wrong.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.