DA7/Motu 2408/G5 set up guidance please.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sparkyboyo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sparkyboyo »

I am needing help putting these 3 pieces together, Ramsa DA7/Motu 2408/G5, without creating too much brain damage to myself.

Does anyone out there have a nice, simple step by step process to make these devices function correctly for 24 track recording.

I have manuals for each piece and a fog between my ears. Need a decoder ring please !!

Jack Balchin
Motu 2408 Mk3 PCIX 424, Panasonic WR-DA7
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DA7/Motu 2408/G5 set up guidance please.

Post by mikehalloran »

sparkyboyo wrote:I am needing help putting these 3 pieces together, Ramsa DA7/Motu 2408/G5, without creating too much brain damage to myself.

Does anyone out there have a nice, simple step by step process to make these devices function correctly for 24 track recording.

I have manuals for each piece and a fog between my ears. Need a decoder ring please !!

Jack Balchin
Jack,

We need much more info. For starters, which PCI slots does your G5 have and is your 324/424 card compatible?

Most of us list our hardware as part of our signature. It helps others to know how to help you.

Anyhow... your devices need to show up in CoreAudio first - without that, nothing else is possible. After you set up CoreAudio, then you set up DP. How you route things will also depend on CueMix - if you can use it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

Thanks for jumping in Mike, it was feeling a little lonely in here.

So, I've done the signature thing. BTW, the Motu is still in transit to my toy room, should be here in 4/5 days.

Now, where will I find this CoreAudio ??

Jack
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

I advert for the 2nd hand package stated the card for the Motu 2408 to be PCIX but it's PCI !! Dammit..still standing still...............gnuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

I've now picked up the PCIX card and things are slowly progressing. Spent bad money on cheap optical cords, I've replaced them. Spent time trying to over come "insufficient privilages". Dave from Tec support has been most helpful but I still have this 'insufficiency'. Pushed a few buttons on the DA7 thread checking out how far off my system is with some people wondering why the DA7, others responded that it's not so far off being a useful pursuit to make the DA7/Motu 2408/G5 thing work.

But seeing little feedback on this thread, I wonder it there's a better link within Motunation that I should be following.

Also, I've been looking forward to using Audiodesk, but as I don't see a thread in the country, does that mean it's junk or what ??

Thanks,

Jacko
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

So, is there no help out there ?? I've been stuck with medical stuff for a few weeks and come back to this site and find no feed baque !!

Thanks, Jack......................
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CoreAudio is where you set up audio/MIDI on your Mac. Find the Audio MIDI Setup app in your Utilities folder. You should see your your 2408 there when hooked up to your PCIx card.

I don't know the DA7 and a quick search turns up nothing. Is it a keyboard? Are you hooking it up through audio or MIDI or both?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
IO

Post by IO »

I used to have a Ramsa DA7, 2408, and DP... do you have the lightpipe cards in it..? And what's wrong..?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
3Ghz 8core Trash Can 64GB RAM OSX 10.13.2 | UAD Apollo 8 Quad | UAD Apollo Twin MKII Solo | DP 9.51 | ProTools 12.8.3 | Studio One 3 | Logic Pro X | DSP Quattro | Waves | UAD
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

Health back on track, thank goodness.

Now installed Leopard and have got past the privilege thing. Manual is 290 pages for Audiodesk !! Work gets in the way, 10 hour days of heavy industrial brain damage makes any more reading at the end of the day a bit of a pain.

The DA7 is a pretty good digital mixer with a bunch of automation on board. Made by Panasonic/Ramsa and ended production early 2K. The man on the DA7 thread says it all falls into place when one figures out the digital patch bay on the DA7. I'm waiting for the drop. Or snapshots of the screen on the DA7. I have litepipe/ADAT links from DA7 to 2408 and firewire 2408 to G5.

Will be happy when the next threshold gets passed. Need the Oregon rain to start falling that will keep me indoors and studious.

Just know that my toy room looks quite cute now with a nice rack holding the Motu, an SPX90 and a Neutrik patchbay, topped off by a Furman conditioner.

Mostly would love to get some one lines of connections and settings.

Thanks,

Jacko
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

Got the Motu dumping track on Audiodesk and playing back via the Motu OP. Hooked the DA7 back up; got playback of the stereo pair but can't figure the 4 tracks parked on the Audiodesk. Also suffering brainfade trying to get a mic thru the DA7-2408 and onto Audiodesk.

Anyone have a decoder ring for the DA7 handbook. Also, has anyone found a musical version of the Motu handbook, it seems written in nerd language.

Jacko
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

Thanks for 'all the help' here. Really guided me well.
And for my next joke..................
Time passes and I overcome the problems one by one. Now have tracks moving along quite nicely. Playback thru DA7 is superb, sounds great and gives a tad of analog grope factor. DA7 patch bay is still a pig though but I still have time to find its flux. Digital audio is rather good, being able to back track mistakes certainly helps keep the learning curve intact....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll look into a refund for technical support fees charged. And for my next joke...

This isn't a manufacturer run site. So not sure why you seem put out about a lack of response? :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Your 2408 needs to be the hub for all your audio - inputs and outputs. Create new tracks and assign inputs to them. You can route audio to the individual outs or the main outs. You can also assign a mix or the main outs to the 2408 headphones. As for your microphone, normally, you assign it to a mono input but the output to a stereo out such as the Mains - this way you can pan in the mixer.
sparkyboyo

Post by sparkyboyo »

Thanks Mike,

strangely enough, that's what I've come to discover. It was a great adventure indeed. Wonderful sight seeing all the little lights on the 2408 dancing around.

I know it's difficult for people to look into my mind and give straight up answers to my questions, I have a hard enough time living inside this bonce at the best of times. So I was a little peaved and did toss a tiny bit of sarkiness in my last post. Least I got a good larf at James' response.

No hard feelings, don't got time for that. There's gonna be more searching on this site for answers as time goes by. One never knows, but I might end up as one of the elite who holds on to the answer too some day !! hahahahaha

Prolly the next real question is about Audiodesk. Is it night and day to DP ??
Are there worthwhile exercises to do on AD ???

Jacko
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

sparkyboyo wrote:Least I got a good larf at James' response.
Good. I got a good laugh at the attitude you seemed to display because it came across as you were peeved about not getting adequate help here. :rofl: I'm not sure what you feel entitled to on a user-run board? :shake:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!