Dragging Audio into session corrupt GUI.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hrw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dragging Audio into session corrupt GUI.

Post by hrw »

Whenever i drag an audio file into the tracks window list if i then go to double click on that audio which should lead me to it in the sequence window i find that i can't see it because the sequence window GUI is corrupted somehow. Tracks are squished together or just generally not looking right...
Anyone experienced this?
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
jarok

Re: Dragging Audio into session corrupt GUI.

Post by jarok »

Hi

Check your View Filter in the Setup menu.

jarok
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trio-Trout/140467307206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hrw

Post by hrw »

I'll look into that but when it looks squished it actually looks a bit blurred or broken up and corrupted. but will try your suggestion.

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

hrw wrote:I'll look into that but when it looks squished it actually looks a bit blurred or broken up and corrupted. but will try your suggestion.
I could be way off base, but I seem to remember this coming up before and it was a system fonts problem that caused it. I may not be remembering correctly though. Do a search on here for fonts and you may find something. There was a fix for it.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
hrw

Post by hrw »

Please, anymore help on this issue would be great. it's def a buggy kinda thing because everything looks normal again if i quit and restart the session. When the sequencer screen goes weird after i drag audio into i can't even move the screen up or down, it's locked up and looks a bit weird. Not normal. fonts issue? Anyone poss know how to resolve this. A real time waster.
Thanks in advance, Haydn.

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Is it busy analyzing (Beats/Tempo/Waveform)? That can take a while, and bog down the app. Check DP prefs/Background Processing, and maybe disable beat analysis.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

You can try this fix by Magic Dave. It may not be what's causing your problem, but it's worth a shot.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
magicd wrote:
Just so happens that I'm one of that small group. If you have that problem, you'll notice it's not confined to the TO window. Any window with columns is affected. The good news it that it's fixable.

It's not a DP bug. If the computer is in this condition, you'll see the same problem in DP6 as well as all versions of DP7.

The problem is a font problem. It happened to me because I migrated from an old computer to a new one. During the migration, something gets corrupted in the User Directory fonts. That's why if you switch to a different user account, the problem goes away.

I haven't found any utility that could fix the problem. I had to fix it manually. This is how I fixed it on my system:

Go to User Directory>Library
You'll see a Fonts folder and a Font Collections folder. Create two new empty folders on the desktop. Move the contents of the Fonts and Font Collections folder to these new folders. Log out of the User account. Log back in. Launch DP. Quit DP. Put the contents of the Fonts folders back where they started. Log out. Log back in. Launch DP.

That fixed it for me. How about you?

Dave
DP10.13
hrw

Post by hrw »

Dan Worley wrote:You can try this fix by Magic Dave. It may not be what's causing your problem, but it's worth a shot.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
magicd wrote:
Just so happens that I'm one of that small group. If you have that problem, you'll notice it's not confined to the TO window. Any window with columns is affected. The good news it that it's fixable.

It's not a DP bug. If the computer is in this condition, you'll see the same problem in DP6 as well as all versions of DP7.

The problem is a font problem. It happened to me because I migrated from an old computer to a new one. During the migration, something gets corrupted in the User Directory fonts. That's why if you switch to a different user account, the problem goes away.

I haven't found any utility that could fix the problem. I had to fix it manually. This is how I fixed it on my system:

Go to User Directory>Library
You'll see a Fonts folder and a Font Collections folder. Create two new empty folders on the desktop. Move the contents of the Fonts and Font Collections folder to these new folders. Log out of the User account. Log back in. Launch DP. Quit DP. Put the contents of the Fonts folders back where they started. Log out. Log back in. Launch DP.

That fixed it for me. How about you?

Dave
Thanks Dan, will try it!

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
hrw

Post by hrw »

Thanks anyway. Didn't work. Bummer...

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm getting this ALL the time. On all 3 of my (identical) set-ups, so it can't be anything up with the computer. I'm sure it's to do with the way I've upgraded, but I've tried uninstalling DP, etc. Still happens.

Blank pull-down menus, as if it was a mucked-up excel sheet or something. I pull down the mouse, and it creates a blank "hole" in my screen. It's like a major graphics anomaly or something. It clears when I hit play and the cursor moves over where the mucked-up graphics were. Same in pull-down menus on picking patches on MIDI sounds, and in fact a lot of the time I lose the bottom 3 or 4 audio tracks. I'm wondering if it's because I use 2 monitors? Don't know.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
hrw

Post by hrw »

doodles wrote:I'm getting this ALL the time. On all 3 of my (identical) set-ups, so it can't be anything up with the computer. I'm sure it's to do with the way I've upgraded, but I've tried uninstalling DP, etc. Still happens.

Blank pull-down menus, as if it was a mucked-up excel sheet or something. I pull down the mouse, and it creates a blank "hole" in my screen. It's like a major graphics anomaly or something. It clears when I hit play and the cursor moves over where the mucked-up graphics were. Same in pull-down menus on picking patches on MIDI sounds, and in fact a lot of the time I lose the bottom 3 or 4 audio tracks. I'm wondering if it's because I use 2 monitors? Don't know.
I feel your pain doodles. Do you get this after importing audio into the tracks area or just anyway?
How can we get to the bottom of this? it sucks.

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

So far I haven't had the problem, but the only audio I've dragged into the Tracks Overview has been in the form of MP3's. Maybe that makes a difference? I have no idea. Meanwhile, our fellow user, Martian, has been having a problem in which keyboard commands are buffered for several seconds, or even longer.

I'm wondering if some of these problems could be a result of the way OSX was upgraded. I always go to the Combo Updater page and download that. I never update OSX from the Software Update window. You'll notice that the files for the Software Updater are a fraction of the size of the Combo Updater. They don't replace everything. Seems logical that sometimes a particular setting or relationship between files could be broken by such an updater. If you download the complete OS in its new form, and install that, you stand a much better chance of eliminating such broken relationships.

But as to whether it will fix these problems? I'm clueless. It's just a guess.

Good luck, and my best to you all,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Try running DP from a new User Account and see what happens.

Weird! Sorry you guys are going through this.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

wow this is a scary one!

i do nothing but drag different flavours of audio into DP all day everyday..

I do have a vague recollection of this happening before- but was in 5.13 for sure.

can u grab a sceenshot? mine was like green checkers on acid.. think I emailed them to motu..

the only issues I have right now with audio is that sometimes it "bypasses" import preferences. so expecting all audio to be copied to project folder - I have been embarrassed recently when moving projects between systems.

seems that SD2 files that were once part of a DP project ( ie I am stealing stuff from old work ) and placed into a new project may not be copied and converted to wav as they should be ( preferences ARE correct)

of course this dont help you..

have you checked you memory recently?

or graphics card - I AM having issues with Blockyness and lines - garbles etc on an older intel Imac. ( 4-5 years old )

is this a lead for you?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com