Reamping w 828mkiii Hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
WorldOfNoise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Reamping w 828mkiii Hybrid

Post by WorldOfNoise »

Hello,

I'm trying to reamp using the analog outs and the guitar tone sounds awful. It's excessively bassy and sounds overloaded in a really bad way. Almost like a speaker is being blown. Here's the chain:

Recording:
Guitar -> Radial DI -> Output -> BLA Preamp -> MOTU
-> Thru -> Guitar Amp -> BLA -> MOTU

Reamping:
Analog Out 7 -> Radial Reamp Box -> Amp

Please keep in mind that this exact setup used to work with my MOTU 24i when I sent the L output to the reamp box.

I have also tested that the amp/cab/cable is working correctly by plugging a guitar direct in. Tone is fine. I'm totally at a loss and I barely understand all the controls on the MOTU/Cuemix so please be gentle with any instructions.
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reamping w 828mkiii Hybrid

Post by 1nput0utput »

Start by resetting the 828mk3 Hybrid to its default settings. You may have unintentionally enabled an EQ or phase invert somewhere, which could cause unexpected timbre problems. Also make sure you're not creating a feedback loop through the 828mk3 Hybrid's on-board mixer or the DAW program's mixer, and check that you're not monitoring any input channel through both the hardware mixer and the DAW mixer.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
WorldOfNoise

Post by WorldOfNoise »

I reset the MOTU and no luck. I am not monitoring anything through my program (Samplitude). I'm only monitoring through the Main outputs in Cuemix FX. I'm at a total loss.
WorldOfNoise

Post by WorldOfNoise »

I actually tracked down the issue. It was actually the DI track itself. It had an INCREDIBLE amount of bass and was just pushing everything too hard. I'm successfully reamping as we speak. 8)