Basic questions re: movie window

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
jimjacobsen

Basic questions re: movie window

Post by jimjacobsen »

Folks, I used to do a lot of tv/film work (2 macs ago), haven't in years, now work is coming up again. This stuff doesn't seem to work as smoothly as it used to. Here's the thing: When I open a movie window (in DP 7.2) and set the movie start time, when it gets to the movie start time DP's counter freezes and the movie takes about 2.5-3 seconds to start. Then it jerks forward and works OK. During this messiness the audio/MIDI stuff is, thankfully, working fine. Surely people who use DP for scoring are not putting up with this sort of lousy functionality. Please advise as to: What am I doing wrong, or...?
sprout
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Basic questions re: movie window

Post by sprout »

taking a wild guess here, but what codec is the movie file in? I have no problems working with Motion jpeg A or DV. Some codecs require a lot of CPU power to decompress the image for viewing, which could slow things down.

resizing movie window to non-standard sizes can also slow things down.

good luck!

step
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
jim jacobsen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jim jacobsen »

Thanks, how do I find out what codec this particular movie is in. It's a 25 second quicktime movie sent to me by the music supervisor. Patience appreciated.
sprout

Post by sprout »

No worries Jim!

If you open the movie in quicktime, then do a Command-I (show movie inspector), you'll get a bunch of information. The codec is the first thing under format, something like H.264, DV, MPEG-4, etc.

If you've upgraded to Quicktime Pro (about $30 for a key via Apple's website, or included if you've ever purchased FCPro or Logic), you can also export the movie in other codecs, which is handy. QT Pro is invaluable if you do any film/video work, since clients have a habit of sending video in all sorts of strange formats.

Let me know what you find!
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
bdr

Post by bdr »

A great free alternative to QT pro is MPEG Streamclip
http://www.squared5.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also anyone that deals with QT and other videofiles should download Perian
http://www.perian.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which helps QT decode many non native formats.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
sprout

Post by sprout »

bdr wrote:A great free alternative to QT pro is MPEG Streamclip
http://www.squared5.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also anyone that deals with QT and other videofiles should download Perian
http://www.perian.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which helps QT decode many non native formats.
+1, 'mos def.