MOTU 8pre ADAT to Focusrite Saffire PRO 40

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
NeroMan2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 8pre ADAT to Focusrite Saffire PRO 40

Post by NeroMan2 »

Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing an 8pre and wondering how to integrate it into my current studio setup (MacBook Pro 2.4 and Pro 40).

Is it possible to use the MOTU 8pre as a expansion/converter with another non-MOTU audio interface such as the Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 which also has ADAT (in/out)?
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU 8pre ADAT to Focusrite Saffire PRO 40

Post by BradLyons »

IMHO, your best way is to connect this via ADAT Optical---that way it's a single driver.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

NeroMan2 wrote:Is it possible to use the MOTU 8pre as a expansion/converter with another non-MOTU audio interface such as the Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 which also has ADAT (in/out)?
Yes, that is one of the 8pre's primary features.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
NeroMan2

Post by NeroMan2 »

Since both these audio interfaces have FW. Should I connect the MOTU 8pre or the Focusrite PRO 40 to my MBP and connect the other using ADAT? Am I correct to assume whatever interface is connected to the MBP over FW will need to have its driver loaded. The interface connected over ADAT will be the master?

Thanks for shedding some light on this.
MOTU 8pre. Focusrite Saffire PRO 40. M-Audio BX5a Deluxe. ART 6 Head amp. MBP 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 8 Gigs RAM. iMac 20" 2.1 GHz C2D, 4 Gigs RAM. 20" Cinema Display. 62 AVRI Fender Stratocaster. 2002 Fender Telecaster. 2005 Gibson ES-137. Fender 65 DRRI. Fender 5E3 clone. Allen Old Flame head/Cab with 12" Celestion Gold. Apple TV (1st Gen).
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've wondered about this myself. I've got a couple of original 828s that I use from time to time for various things, sometimes in conjunction with my Rosetta 800. I've tried hooking them both up via firewire, and also tried hooking the Apogee up via firewire and using the ADAT optical inputs to connect an 828. Both methods seem to perform the same, but I wonder if under certain conditions one has an advantage. Dunno.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
eitonin

Post by eitonin »

@NeroMan2: MOTU's converters (and therefore, sound) are much much better than the Saffire's and so is the driver more stable.
So if your present task is input, like for tracking, I would hook the Saffire to the computer via firewire and the 8Pre to the Saffire via ADAT. That way you're using MOTU's preamps and letting MOTU handle the A/D conversion, so Saffire just has to pipe the digital data through without doing any conversions.
If your present concern is more output-oriented, like for mixing, I would hook up the 8Pre via Firewire, and leave the Saffire in the closet so it stays out of any D/A conversion processes.
If you need all the inputs of both units simultaneously, I would Firewire the 8Pre and ADAT the Saffire to the 8Pre, and just hook up the instruments that you feel would be the least affected by the variation of sound quality to the Saffire.

@Phil O: Same basic concept, but Apogee's converters are superior to MOTU's, as far as I could tell, so if what I said above makes any sense you can replace the Saffire with the Apogee and sort of reverse the tips.
If the drivers all work fine in parallel, then there's probably no need to do any of that and just run them both via firewire... unless there's something wrong with doing that that I'm not aware of.

Hope this helps :)
NeroMan2

Post by NeroMan2 »

eitonin wrote:@NeroMan2: MOTU's converters (and therefore, sound) are much much better than the Saffire's and so is the driver more stable.
So if your present task is input, like for tracking, I would hook the Saffire to the computer via firewire and the 8Pre to the Saffire via ADAT. That way you're using MOTU's preamps and letting MOTU handle the A/D conversion, so Saffire just has to pipe the digital data through without doing any conversions.
If your present concern is more output-oriented, like for mixing, I would hook up the 8Pre via Firewire, and leave the Saffire in the closet so it stays out of any D/A conversion processes.
If you need all the inputs of both units simultaneously, I would Firewire the 8Pre and ADAT the Saffire to the 8Pre, and just hook up the instruments that you feel would be the least affected by the variation of sound quality to the Saffire.
Thanks for the tips eitonin. I do need all the inputs. Both units combined will give me 16 ins using FW and ADAT at 48. Focusrite have done a really great job on the Mac platform and drivers and related software are very stable. The Focurite has some cool features that I need. It will be interesting to compare the pres on these units. If things are extremely noticeable as in sound quality is obviously inferior, I will most likely unload the Saffire and pick up a second MOTU unit. Maybe another 8pre or an 828.

Happy New Year!
MOTU 8pre. Focusrite Saffire PRO 40. M-Audio BX5a Deluxe. ART 6 Head amp. MBP 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 8 Gigs RAM. iMac 20" 2.1 GHz C2D, 4 Gigs RAM. 20" Cinema Display. 62 AVRI Fender Stratocaster. 2002 Fender Telecaster. 2005 Gibson ES-137. Fender 65 DRRI. Fender 5E3 clone. Allen Old Flame head/Cab with 12" Celestion Gold. Apple TV (1st Gen).
eitonin

Post by eitonin »

Good idea, NeroMan2. Check those preamps and see how they sound for you. The only reason I said what I said about them is because I actually own a Saffire Pro 24 DSP and a MOTU 896MK3, and have tested them up against each other, and running through each other in several possible configurations. In my own tests, the Saffire just didn't hold its own in an way and I ended up putting it aside. I've also experienced many instabilities with their drivers. I know they are not exactly the same units you have, but I would imagine the drivers are the same and so are the converters and preamps. Now I have to figure out how to sell something I don't vouch for, hmmm... MOTU is MOTU - you know what you're getting.

If your tests yield different results, please do share. It would be interesting to hear what you find.
NeroMan2

Post by NeroMan2 »

eitonin wrote:Good idea, NeroMan2. Check those preamps and see how they sound for you. The only reason I said what I said about them is because I actually own a Saffire Pro 24 DSP and a MOTU 896MK3, and have tested them up against each other, and running through each other in several possible configurations. In my own tests, the Saffire just didn't hold its own in an way and I ended up putting it aside. I've also experienced many instabilities with their drivers. I know they are not exactly the same units you have, but I would imagine the drivers are the same and so are the converters and preamps. Now I have to figure out how to sell something I don't vouch for, hmmm... MOTU is MOTU - you know what you're getting.

If your tests yield different results, please do share. It would be interesting to hear what you find.
I assume you have Focusrite's latest drivers available from their support site:
Saffire Mix Control 2.2. I will definitely keep you posted on my findings.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for the input, eitonin. Good stuff!

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.