Interesting article about modern mastering

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Matcher
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Interesting article about modern mastering

Post by Matcher »

Here's a nice article about mastering bt's new album, these hopeful machines. Mastering that complex blurs the line between mixing and mastering.

http://www.sonicscoop.com/?p=3290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
Shooshie

Re: Interesting article about modern mastering

Post by Shooshie »

Well, it made me want to hear the whole album, so I bought it on iTunes. Will report back later. If this is where the bar is set for DAW creativity, I'd like to know the mark! (and enjoy some good sides while I'm at it)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

:) very cool, I'm sure you'll find some of the music interesting, if not enjoyable. The focus on this album is pretty much on pop, but the programming, mixing, and last but not least, mastering, makes it unique.
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Very interesting article - blurs the line between writing, arranging, mixing and mastering. I think the key thing about the mastering in the end is having different sets of ears involved (a dedicated mastering studio is nice too :-).

I checked out the itunes clips and wow, it is quite amazing - downloading the whole album now...

Thanks for the heads up, matcher :)
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I scanned the article and will read it in depth later, so I may have missed how many hours/days/weeks it took to master/ re-mix the album?

And (not insignificantly) how many $$?!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:And (not insignificantly) how many $$?!
No kidding! Well, he's got my $14. May he break even, soon! ;)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

BT... who is that?
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

God I forgot how glorious tape sounds. A plug-in will NEVER sound like that!
K, I stopped reading there. I'll check out his piece (when I'm in a place I can listen) but quotes like that are ALWAYS WRONG and the people who make them generally LOSE MY RESPECT INSTANTLY.

Similar quotes include "a computer will never beat a top ranked chess master" and "no electronic keyboard will ever produce an acoustic piano tone that can fool a trained listener". 640k ought to be enough for anybody? Really?

Eventually, some sharp engineer will manage to create a digital model of tape that will be indistinguishable from actually printing to tape, assuming there is a market for it.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Man, this BT sounds good (for what it is) - and so much music for 9.99 - two discs worth. This guy is really a genius at what he does.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

SixStringGeek wrote:
K, I stopped reading there. I'll check out his piece (when I'm in a place I can listen) but quotes like that are ALWAYS WRONG and the people who make them generally LOSE MY RESPECT INSTANTLY.

Similar quotes include "a computer will never beat a top ranked chess master" and "no electronic keyboard will ever produce an acoustic piano tone that can fool a trained listener". 640k ought to be enough for anybody? Really?

Eventually, some sharp engineer will manage to create a digital model of tape that will be indistinguishable from actually printing to tape, assuming there is a market for it.
Remember, the whole interview was a sales piece. Self-congratulatory and over-enthusiastic about stuff that's been around a long, long time, trying to make it sound like it's brand new.

It may be the primo case of engineering of the century, but content-wise it's pretty average, IMO. I haven't listened to the entire thing. Maybe "Side 2" picks things up a bit.

Shooshie
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Funny thing, after being impressed with all the technical stuff, the song I like the most on the whole CD is the cover tune 'Ghost in you' - especially the mellow parts (first half). It almost feels like a relief, so it's well placed to be the last song.

Goes to show that good songwriting (and instruments like guitars) grabs the heart, where the electronic stuff grabs your head and your feet, if you're into dancing, that is :) .
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

jlaudon wrote:Goes to show that good songwriting (and instruments like guitars) grabs the heart, where the electronic stuff grabs your head and your feet, if you're into dancing, that is :) .
Preach it, brother. Seriously I can't get into electronica because so much of it is algorithmically generated (arpeggiators and other pattern generators provide the illusion of movement) and I guess, being a programmer, it just seems dull and mechanical. I'd rather play than program and I guess programming comes so easily to me that I don't really respect algorithmic music as art.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

SixStringGeek wrote:
...quotes like that are ALWAYS WRONG and the people who make them generally LOSE MY RESPECT INSTANTLY...
I tend to agree with SixString (in general). As far as tape specifically goes, although tape does sound wonderful, part of the reason for that is people have been using it for a very long time and have learned how to get the best sound out of it. If people would start approaching digital as an entirely DIFFERENT medium and stop trying to make it behave like tape and stop trying to apply the same techniques they used with tape, then they could get on with the business of making it sound "glorious." I'm old school. I was brought up on tape. Yes, I've spliced my share of tape, but when I made the switch to digial (as painful as it was) I quickly learned that some of the old techniques were still valid, and some were not. New techniques will be required and we've barely gotten our feet wet. I'm hopeful that as good as tape sounded, we will exceed "glorious" as the technology improves and more importantly as our skill with this new medium comes up to speed.

BTW, it sounds like that mastering house really milked this one. :shock:

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
jgest

Post by jgest »

:oops: I'll have to give this a listen. Coming from a guy like my self who leans more into the electronic realm, I never saw him as the "forward" thinking musician he is marketed as, but more of the guy fortunate to have the limelight. "forward thinking" brings names to mind like Simon Posford (shpongle), in the electronica realm. The "stutter" thing, is a "trance 101" production trick. Not to be a thread basher.....
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Not bashing. I think the stutter has run its course. Who remembers Max Headroom from the Reagan era? That's like grampa old now. (hey, I'm not a grampa... yet!) All I can say about what I heard was that it sounded clean and well-mastered. But I've got recordings done on wax cylinders that move me more. Not saying the guy doesn't have talent. He's competent at what he does. Definitely. Just that it's odd to promote the heck out of an album for the mastering. I guess he figures he'll break even if all the engineers go out and buy it to see what this new wave of mastering/mixing is all about. Hey, I bought it. :roll:

Shooshie