for DP/PTools users, PTools for Snow Leopard (finally)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

for DP/PTools users, PTools for Snow Leopard (finally)

Post by williemyers »

morning all,

for any/all of you who may have (like me) been waiting for a Snow Leopard approved ProTools to run with your DP, it's out this morning!
It's verion 8.0.3 (not pre-release) and it's *HUGE*! Nothin' like a 1.7Gb download with your morning coffee!

A couple of notes:
will not work with a PPC Mac,
no Tiger (or earlier),
will no longer work with Sound Designer II files,
no *original* MBox, or Expansion/HD Chassis

and then this...
"Incompatibility of Apple Logic Pro 9 or MOTU Digital Performer Running as a DAE Client with Pro Tools HD 8.0.3 (Item #119902)
Due to unforeseen technical issues, the newly released Pro Tools 8.0.3 software will no longer support Apple Logic Audio or Mark of the Unicorn Digital Performer running in DAE mode. Attempting to play back will result in no audio output. Recording audio in Logic will yield the error “Saving spool file / Entry not in queue. Result code = -1.” Users of both applications can still take advantage of Pro Tools CoreAudio drivers and use the Pro Tools HD system as hardware I/O. Pro Tools 8.0.1 will continue to be made available in its current form to Avid customers who are using Logic Audio or Digital Performer in DAE mode for the foreseeable future."
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
dave pine

Re: for DP/PTools users, PTools for Snow Leopard (finally)

Post by dave pine »

i guess it's on......the final battle !
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

With all of the moves that Avid has been pulling lately, this should not be a surprise. The thing that surprised me the most was the introduction of PT Essentials a while back. Even more dumbed down than LE. That should give you an idea of where they're headed. I see a company that's in real trouble here and drawing a line in the dirt - you're either with us or against us. Standard polarizing for contemporary America. They may be surprised by how many end up on their side of the fence. I will not be there. Thank the powers that DP7 is one amazing piece of software, so I will not be missing PT much.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Well, looking at their 2008 Annual Report available here:
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ ... es_sec.pdf
You can see that they could be desperate. Avid hasn't been profitable since 2005... (if I read that thing right)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Imagine a bizarre turn of events in which MOTU ended up buying Digidesign from Avid, and calling ProTools "DP-Lite," with the option to run DP as the front end, now dubbed the "real" Pro Tools. :lol:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

i hate that monolithic shytbag of a company.....i wish them nothing but the worst. :x :evil: :twisted:
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Shooshie wrote:calling ProTools "DP-Lite, :lol:

Shooshie
Thats funny.
If you look at their 5yr cart http://www.stockhouse.com/tools/?page=% ... ble%3DLIST

Its not a company I'd want my money in.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I have had it with them. Finally when you think they are on your side they do something like this. MOTU has always supported the computer I have. What would it take to include PPC in their future updates. I had the Digi 001 and moved to the Digi 002 but I am not going to go out and by a new computer at this time so I can run their updated product. :shock: When you have a loyal customer you bend over backwards for them.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

As for The PPC aspect of it, I can see sooner (rather then later) Motu doing exactly the
same thing with DP.
Digidesign as a company?..yeah..no surprise there..
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

From Digis user forum;
To clarify a few things being brought up in this thread:

Q: Will Avid continue to provide CS bug fixes for 8.0.1 and earlier software releases?
A: The company will continue to monitor the performance of 8.0.1 after its release and may offer CS software updates if necessary.

The reason we can't do full support for PPC in 8.0.3 is because of the decision by Apple to remove PPC support in Snow Leopard - there are some extremely difficult technical issues that would need to be overcome to support PPC in 8.0.3. Apple announced non-support of PPC's in SL quite awhile back and we made a notice that 8.0.1 will be the last version to support PPC back in September.

We don't like it any more than you do, but considering our resource pool and the age of these systems, it seemed more prudent to put our developers on more current/future system development, rather than spend a significant amount of it (which it would be, given the tech challenges) supporting outdated machines.

Regarding the Logic support announcement - it's another situation where a decision had to be made on how best to spend our developer resources. We know it hurts (I'm a big fan of DAE mode myself), but we think the decision to put the resources on Pro Tools was more appropriate.
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

sdfalk wrote:As for The PPC aspect of it, I can see sooner (rather then later) Motu doing exactly the
same thing with DP.
Digidesign as a company?..yeah..no surprise there..
And MOTU would be correct in doing so. But I think MOTU has the wherewithal not to get everyone to pony up for an upgrade and then pull support for that upgrade before fixing some major issues. Avid should have left the PPC people at 7.4.2 or advanced them to the next major release - I mean to drop support at the 8.0.1 release is a true slap in the face. This would be the equivalent of MOTU telling PPC folks that the 7.02 update is Intel only and live with whatever bugs we're fixing for the Intel folks.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

I spend time over on the Duc as well as here and can't get over the fact of people whining over discontinued support for PPC Macs. It's not like your machine isn't going to work anymore because support for it stopped from a third party software vendor. You can still use whatever program in question you're currently running on your ancient PPC.

PPC users have to realize that support for their machines will go away at some time. I realize this as much as anyone because I'm currently on a PPC laptop (PB G4 1.67 GHz) for DP6 and Photoshop. There's a new version of Photoshop I'd like to run but won't run on a PPC - sure I don't like it but my old version still works fine. So I'll need a new machine which is good, because I've wrung out what this old horse can carry. Got a new MacPro desktop coming in the new year so I'll be set for the future. And with the support for PT in SL I'll be good to go that way as well. So I can't use dae - no biggie as I'd rather just use each program (DP and PT) as it's own entity. This isn't to slight or throw brickbats at those that use dae, it's just MY way of seeing things.

No PPC support in a new version of a program - get over it already! Time and progress marches on.
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

i'm pissed dp 7.02 won't run on my mac 512k
martian

Post by martian »

the reason I f#^Ked off protools was they deliberately made my 001 obsolete..

after that it worked fine with DP doing surround etc which LE never managed to do-

thats what got me onto DP..

MOTU would do well to look hard atthe things that PT does well

being able rename regions and files on disc is a great but simple feature...

the "-" to switch to vol automation..

an API to allow a browswer to place a sound to an insert point on your time line

but then again I have several versions of DP paid up and for less than a HD rig..

more choice is better! DP is the future!
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
pcm

Post by pcm »

The above posts copied from the Digi site pretty much lay it out:

- Apple has long abandoned PPC
- currently shipping product has to work on current machines and OS
- the future is new users buying new machines and OS, as well as older users upgrading to new machines and OS
- resources are (and have always been) limited

I would much rather Digi (and Motu) focus on stability and future development, than supporting dead end systems and OSs. Trying to be all things to all users invites a more unstable environment, and way more coding hours to boot. At some point, all machines turn into a Mac Plus, and you are then left with a lot of unsupported users. It's unfair, and unrealistic, to expect everybody else to have to bear the burden of the users who insist on hanging onto old systems. There is a solution for these people - use older software. DP 5.13 will run fine on a thee year old machine, right? If you are not willing, or able to upgrade your systems, at some point you and your system will no longer be supported. To do otherwise is to cripple everyone else. Not fair or realistic.

As far as DAE support ending, this will undoubtably be a big issue for a few. I could never get it to work reliably enough that I would want to use it in front of paying clients, so no loss here. If it frees up both Digi and Motu from having to put more code hours into it, then I think it is a win-win.

I don't know of it was mentioned, but support for Logic/DAE was also ended.

I do wonder what Motu's response is. I suspect their programmer is jumping for joy, and thanking Santa bigtime.