Bidule and DP 7.02

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ritzybiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bidule and DP 7.02

Post by ritzybiz »

I have the latest version of Bidule working in Rewire mode with DP 7.02 & it's working well. When I really load up Bidule, however, the usage meter in DP shows very heavy usage, but it doesn't appear to affect the playback performance. I've tried different buffer settings, and it just gets heavier on lower settings, but still performs well! I thought others have said that the load on DP is less than when VIs are instantiated in DP itself.

I still haven't worked out how and to what purpose you would use Bidule as a plugin in DP.

Any comments would be appreciated.
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
jroadrage
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Bidule and DP 7.02

Post by jroadrage »

If you just plan on using Bidule for basic hosting/mixing applications I can't think of any good reason to instantiate in DP or any other DAW.

I don't remember ever having any issues with Bidule hogging DP's resources. Are you talking about the CPU reading in DP's performance meter? I've always been a little suspicious of DP's performance measurements. What does activity monitor show? That might be a better indication. If everything's working fine you can probably safely ignore it.
John Rodriguez - Composer for Media
Mac Pro 2.8, 14 GB RAM, 10.6.1, i7 920, 12 GB RAM, Windows 7
DP7.02, VE PRO Public Beta, Bidule 0.9695, Altiverb 6, Ozone 3
Vienna Instruments, Kontakt 3.5, PLAY 1.2.5, Spectrasonics Bundle
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

jroadrage wrote:If you just plan on using Bidule for basic hosting/mixing applications I can't think of any good reason to instantiate in DP or any other DAW.

I don't remember ever having any issues with Bidule hogging DP's resources. Are you talking about the CPU reading in DP's performance meter? I've always been a little suspicious of DP's performance measurements. What does activity monitor show? That might be a better indication. If everything's working fine you can probably safely ignore it.
Thanks for the reply, John. I opened Activity Monitor, played back a fairly big DP/Bidule setup, DP was showing 100-120%, and Bidule 30-40%. It was all playing back fine.
I also looked at a YouTube video from Plogue's site which showed a massive setup being used with DP 5 without any problems.

It's all a bit disconcerting when I run the same setup with everything in DP, and it's lucky to show 50% usage.

Cheers,
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
fsheinfeld

Post by fsheinfeld »

If you connect Bidule with DP using rewire your VIs can only access one core on your Mac Pro, so that might be the reason you are having performances issues. That's a rewire limitation.

The solution is running Bidule first and DP after (this way they won't use rewire) and connect the audio coming out from bidule to DP via a program like JackOSX or connecting the ADAT outpus to your ADAT inputs of your MOTU2408.
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

fsheinfeld wrote:If you connect Bidule with DP using rewire your VIs can only access one core on your Mac Pro, so that might be the reason you are having performances issues. That's a rewire limitation.

The solution is running Bidule first and DP after (this way they won't use rewire) and connect the audio coming out from bidule to DP via a program like JackOSX or connecting the ADAT outpus to your ADAT inputs of your MOTU2408.
Thanks, I'll try your suggestion. I even think it may be possible to hook up via bidules without using JackOSX. I'll report back. I wasn't aware of the rewire limitation.
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

Running Bidule with no rewire is great and drops DP's CPU usage dramatically. I haven't worked out how to sync tempos in programs like RMX yet .... I'll try MIDI Clock to Sync
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

This is an interesting thread as I'm migrating from a G5 and VI PC to a macbook. Does anyone know if I use DP's 5.13 Vrack if that distributes VIs over both processors? Thanks a lot.

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

pencilina wrote:This is an interesting thread as I'm migrating from a G5 and VI PC to a macbook. Does anyone know if I use DP's 5.13 Vrack if that distributes VIs over both processors? Thanks a lot.

B
Well it certainly does on a MacBook Pro, so I should think you're cool.
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
hrw

Post by hrw »

ritzybiz wrote:Running Bidule with no rewire is great and drops DP's CPU usage dramatically. I haven't worked out how to sync tempos in programs like RMX yet .... I'll try MIDI Clock to Sync
on the list when you right click one of the options should say 'sync' i think and you can choose to 'sync to rewire' which will put a little green s1 next to the device.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
erikjamesmusic

Post by erikjamesmusic »

I'm on 6.03 with a full Bidule orchestral template connected via rewire, and my CPU (macpro octo 2.8) gets maxed pretty quickly with the huge EW/symphobia patches. I have the Apogee Ensemble, so if I just connected the ADAT in to the ADAT out on the ensemble and connected bidule to DP via adat my CPU load would drop? how would i assign the instruments in bidule? how would i assign the auxes in DP?
Mac Pro 8-core 2.8, 10g RAM, OS 10.6.4, DP 7.22, MOTU 828mk3, UAD-2 Duo, Dynaudio BM5-As, Nord E3-73, Kurzweil PC3-X, Mackie Control Universal, NI Komplete 7/Kore 2, PLAY 2 (most libraries), Spectrasonics, Altiverb, Vir2, etc...
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I've been using this setup with JackOSx carrying 32 audio tracks from Bidule back to DP. Works fine in DP5 and DP7. There is a 64bit version of Jack available now that seems very happy with Snow Leopard. Only drawback to Jack is that whatever you set it's buffer size as, you must set Bidule and DP at also. I've got everything at 512, and it seems really stable, and the latency is useable.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

Tripi wrote:I've been using this setup with JackOSx carrying 32 audio tracks from Bidule back to DP. Works fine in DP5 and DP7. There is a 64bit version of Jack available now that seems very happy with Snow Leopard. Only drawback to Jack is that whatever you set it's buffer size as, you must set Bidule and DP at also. I've got everything at 512, and it seems really stable, and the latency is useable.
I don't quite understand why JackOSX is necessary. I set up as many bidules as I need, send MIDI from them into multiple virtual instruments, and send the audio back to DP either via Rewire or my 2408 if I'm not using Rewire. With Rewire there is no latency, but without there is some but it's usable. When using Rewire, I don't use the Rewire MIDI inputs, just the bidules which appear in DP. Of course I can't successfully sync VIs (e.g. RMX) unless I use Rewire.

What would JackOSX give me that these setups won't?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm really just learning about externally hosting my instruments.
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

fsheinfeld wrote:If you connect Bidule with DP using rewire your VIs can only access one core on your Mac Pro, so that might be the reason you are having performances issues. That's a rewire limitation.

Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

ritzybiz wrote: I don't quite understand why JackOSX is necessary. I set up as many bidules as I need, send MIDI from them into multiple virtual instruments, and send the audio back to DP either via Rewire or my 2408 if I'm not using Rewire. With Rewire there is no latency, but without there is some but it's usable. When using Rewire, I don't use the Rewire MIDI inputs, just the bidules which appear in DP. Of course I can't successfully sync VIs (e.g. RMX) unless I use Rewire.

What would JackOSX give me that these setups won't?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm really just learning about externally hosting my instruments.
Well, the idea is to use Bidule as a standalone app to host everything. I don't use the Bidule plugins (inside DP). Instead, I chose Jack as an extra audio interface for DP, and as the main audio interface for Bidule. By doing this, all 32 of my Jack inputs show up in DP's bundle window. I can rename them there, and then assign AUX tracks for the mixer. This also bypasses the 1-core limit on rewire. I've currently got 10 kontakt banks filled, and 3 play banks filled, and everything seems happy. You can also make a sync-bidule that takes MIDI clock from DP, and tempo syncs anything in Bidule.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

Tripi wrote:
Well, the idea is to use Bidule as a standalone app to host everything. I don't use the Bidule plugins (inside DP). Instead, I chose Jack as an extra audio interface for DP, and as the main audio interface for Bidule. By doing this, all 32 of my Jack inputs show up in DP's bundle window. I can rename them there, and then assign AUX tracks for the mixer. This also bypasses the 1-core limit on rewire. I've currently got 10 kontakt banks filled, and 3 play banks filled, and everything seems happy. You can also make a sync-bidule that takes MIDI clock from DP, and tempo syncs anything in Bidule.
Thanks for the explanation, that really helps me. I have tried the word clock sync, but it's a bit flakey, and takes a while to sync up.
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM