Conductor track can take a hike for all I care

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Conductor track can take a hike for all I care

Post by EMRR »

FMiguelez wrote:
Check if you have multi-record on for MIDI. That's the only way I know you can have more than 2 non-audio tracks record enabled.
Nope. To be clear, I don't use MIDI for anything, and it's one or more audio tracks which are record enabled when I find the conductor track record enabled. Can be anything from a single overdub track in the middle of the track order, to a stereo mix track at the end of the track order, to all currently created tracks for a live band take. Template, no template, doesn't matter. Anything here that's MIDI related is a stock preference I've never seen or changed.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

HCMarkus wrote: PS: it is a lot harder to accidentally change the tempo of a project when running off the conductor track. Just a thought for those who occasionally click in the wrong spot on the screen, or strike the backslash key (possibly with fist) repeatedly for no reason.
... or open a pre-existing Reason file via Re-wire, which hi-jacks the tempo if you're not in conductor mode.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Conductor track for life!!!
Cliff's situation happened to me all the time when I didn't use the conductor track...
The only way I could see myself put the conductor track accidentally is if I CMD clicked on a track's record-enable button. It'll disarm this current track and arm all other...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

You can accidentally arm the Conductor track (or any other track) by arming a track and then using the up- and down arrows, thinking that i.e. you are using them to move up and down in a VI's preset list. This has happened to me a few times, though never with any consequences.

Of course the conductor track is essential. One of DP's strongest advantages over the competition.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I can't arm one track, use the up/down keys, and get additional tracks to arm. All I get is the armed track to disarm and change to the adjacent track. I am never losing the purposeful track arming, I'm keeping those and getting random additions of the conductor track armed. I'm never getting other audio tracks accidentally armed.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

HCMarkus wrote:it is a lot harder to accidentally change the tempo of a project when running off the conductor track
Its also harder to change it on purpose. :-) Having come from ESQ-1 sequencer and Vision, I was used to the idea that a chunk has a fixed tempo. Select the chunk, then change the tempo in the transport bar and the chunk should now play at that tempo. That's the theory and it always worked before in other environments.

In practice, it was maddening because you change the tempo in the transport bar (and it lets you!), hit play or record, and the tempo changes back to whatever it was at when you recorded the thing in the first place. Which, for us keyboard challenged quasi-musicians who often record stuff at lower speeds, is really annoying.

I did eventually figure out the conductor track and now go there to edit tempo change events - but I can see how a new user would get very frustrated with this model - especially when the transport has that nifty tempo control that only works if the conductor track is empty.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

SixStringGeek wrote: Its also harder to change it on purpose. :-)
Option-T is your friend.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote:
James Steele wrote:Hmmm... not that I use it all that much, but I think the AlphaTrack has some built in function for dropping a marker. At least I vaguely recall something like that? Maybe it's just the ability to turn a rotary encoder and it will jump forward and backward through markers.
I wouldn't be surprised - Tranzport has a button programmed for inserting markers (I think) and also ones for locating to previous and next marker. (I don't use my Tranzport any more - should probably sell it...)

I use DP key commands for 'previous marker' and 'next marker', and I've been doing that for so long I don't recall if they're stock commands or if I set 'em up myself. But find them very handy.
Yeah... I think if you push down on the middle rotary encoder it drops a marker at that spot. Shows you how much I use that function. To its credit, the AlphaTrack can be pretty deep if you delve into it. I know on some sequencers it actually displays running location readout on the display. Of course, my wish would be to be able to click on a mixing board channel in DP and have AlphaTrack jump to that track. LOL. Basic, huh?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

EMRR wrote:I can't arm one track, use the up/down keys, and get additional tracks to arm. All I get is the armed track to disarm and change to the adjacent track. I am never losing the purposeful track arming, I'm keeping those and getting random additions of the conductor track armed. I'm never getting other audio tracks accidentally armed.
Silly question - have you tried trashing DP's prefs file? That usually fixes inexplicable squirrely behavior for me.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Geez, I'm getting in on this kind of late, but I know just how the original poster feels.
You see, there's a pixel I hate in the MIDI tracks. It's right here:

See it? You have to look really close. It helps if you put that picture in Preview and blow it up to full-screen size. See that pixel? It's always there. I swear sometimes I am pretty sure it's sucking out the notes. Yep. Just erasing them and replacing them with wrong notes that I'm pretty sure I didn't play. I know it's that pixel, because of the way it looks at me after a take. It sucks out notes and sits there with this sulky pixelly look. It's getting even with me. What'd I ever do to it? Dang! I know I didn't do anything to it, but it's still there, changing my notes, making my vibrato come out wrong, ruining my mixes, making me sound like an amateur.

Why can't MOTU just leave that pixel out? Sheesh, MOTU tech support hasn't been any help at all. They didn't even respond to my technote. I think they secretly want to leave that pixel there.

I'll get that pixel yet! I'll turn it purple. THEN see who has the last laugh.

Stupid pixel.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

HEY! My conductor track took a hike! It's seen here hiking the Appalachian Trail - or so it says! It's actually hiking in Logic!

BASTARD! It even took the list editor with it. You can see it hanging from it's waist. OMG! What will become of me now? I'm doomed. Doomed!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

And no wonder you've been having issues with BTD. WHAT do you think he's carrying on the backpack?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The Blues, of course!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The Blues, of course!

DOH!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote: .
There's that pixel. It's showing up in Fernando's posts, now!