Anybody wanna go analog?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Pappy725
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anybody wanna go analog?

Post by Pappy725 »

Hey guys, there's a studio here in my hometown that's selling his Studer A80 MKIII 24 Track. Here's a link in case anyone's interested, (Brad, you gear ho) :lol:
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1032842609.html

Check it out.
Pappy
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
Phil O

Re: Anybody wanna go analog?

Post by Phil O »

What's the story on magnetic tape? I heard some time ago that the last manufacturer went out of business. If that's so, are we just purchasing what's stockpiled?

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

The reports of the death of magnetic tape have been greatly exaggerated:

http://www.quantegy-online.com/index.html
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

One more year of this digital-shenanigan-cum-upgrade nonsense and I'll be seriously considering a basic, MIDI-synced (for live hardware mixing) analog tape and desk option. If the Mac misbehaves I'll relegate it to Unicorn duties and switch to Cubase on the ATARI. LOL

IMHO, the warmth and punchiness of this approach cannot be denied. Somehow, I suspect more work inevitably gets done too, not least because of the greatly-reduced troubleshooting time required and miscellaneous computer-related distractions. This Studer A80 MKIII 24 Track was nothing but a ridiculously-unrealistic dream of the '90s for me...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

monkey man wrote: This Studer A80 MKIII 24 Track was nothing but a ridiculously-unrealistic dream of the '90s for me...
And for a whole lot of us hobbyist/semipro/wanna bees. (myself included) :D
Oh yeah, now the guy's running a Sonar workstation.
Pappy
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

LOL, no----analog and I were never friends. 8)
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Pappy725 wrote:
monkey man wrote: This Studer A80 MKIII 24 Track was nothing but a ridiculously-unrealistic dream of the '90s for me...
And for a whole lot of us hobbyist/semipro/wanna bees. (myself included) :D
Can't say I blame you, Pappster.
Pappy725 wrote:Oh yeah, now the guy's running a Sonar workstation.
Pappy
:shock:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

As tempting as it is - I remember the maintenance required for a Studer (or any deck). I just don't have that in me anymore. They are fantastic sounding decks...but it's hard enough for me to remember to make backups of daily digital sessions. I can't imagine having to bias & align a deck regularly and then run off safety copies. Man...just thinking about it makes me jittery. :shock:
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Here is a very interesting new concept to make use of that wonderful old analog multitrack.....

http://www.endlessanalog.com/

took me a while to realise what is going on, but it is quite amazing

kind regards

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
artright

Post by artright »

Man , don't you remember the days of the 2" tape MCI recorder and the big AKG box timbre echo unit and the patch bays, the MCI 72/48/8/2 Mixer direct from England. The stuff that Brian Ferry did some of those great tunes on. Made a guitar sound like it was coming inside your head. Now I'M stuck on stuff like trying to work with the manufacturer directly for a home system.

Remember the days
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stephentayler wrote:Here is a very interesting new concept to make use of that wonderful old analog multitrack.....

http://www.endlessanalog.com/

took me a while to realise what is going on, but it is quite amazing

kind regards

Stephen
Man... seriously, that is inspiring. I'd think it would give a shot in the arm to used tape deck sales. I can't afford it, but it started me searching eBay for used machines just out of curiosity. I don't know however what quality machine you'd need to have to derive some appreciable benefit. For example, hooking this thing up to something like a Tascam 38 1/2" machine might not really produce any great effect to justify the price of the CLASP system, which I cannot find pricing for on their site. Still, seems like if you had the bucks to have a 2" 30ips system, it would be damned cool. They also specifically mention Digital Performer as supported.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

this looks pretty cool to me:

Anamod ATS-1

http://www.anamodaudio.com/

The ATS-1 features:

• Two channels of analog tape simulation

• Up to four tape machine models

• Up to four tape formulation models

• 7.5, 15 and 30 ips speed selection

• Bias, LF and HF EQ, and Hiss

• User-installable upgrade cards

The ATS-Analog Tape Simulator is the first product that uses the AnaMod process for modeling complex analog circuitry entirely in the analog domain. Specially developed analog building blocks are 'coded' to emulate the behavior of a complex analog system. Unlike digital plug-ins or processor-based outboard gear, there is no latency, and no A/D or D/A conversions to compromise the sound. The result is a faithful recreation of the original response, without using the original analog hardware.

All of the important features of a two-track analog tape machine are found in the ATS-1, including speed selection, bias, LF record and HF Repro EQ, and the option of adding tape hiss, if desired. The reference 'record' level, as indicated on the illuminated VU meters, can be adjusted from 0 to +12 dBu in 3 dB increments.

The ATS-1 accurately models the behavior of specific tape machines and tape formulations, and allows the user to select from up to four machine and tape types. Optional machine and tape types are available on easy-to-install SIMM cards. Standard tape formulation cards shipped with the ATS-1 are the GP9 and 456. Standard machine cards are the A800 and M79.

By popular demand, wow and flutter is not included. :wink:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........