What happened to osxaudio.com?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What happened to osxaudio.com?

Post by billf »

It's been down for quite some time. Anyone know what the story is?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
porieux

Re: What happened to osxaudio.com?

Post by porieux »

Not being run responsibly, which is sad considering that a lot of people donated money to that site.
blue

Post by blue »

Originally posted by porieux:
Not being run responsibly, which is sad considering that a lot of people donated money to that site.
OSX Audio has always seemed well run to me. We don't really know the whole story, other than what is currently being reported at the site. I'm sure it is more a matter of technical difficulties than a lack of responsibility.

I do miss it though.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
porieux

Post by porieux »

Well I run web sites for a living, and I know there is part of the story we aren't being told there. There isn't a lot involved in getting a site like that back up after a bandwidth overage. Even if there are technical problems. I guess it's just annoying since they've actually taken money from people. Then again, I don't know the story either.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Not being run responsibly,
I don't think its fair of you to say that, when, by your own admission, you don't know the whole story, or for that matter, even part of it.

Who knows what the problem is? This place was down for months and months, that doesn't mean anything in terms of responsibility, could be lotsa good reasons. Have you ever taken longer to do something than you predicted/expected/wanted?

He who is without sin can now cast a stone...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
porieux

Post by porieux »

It's different when it's a labor of love, like this site, versus asking people to pay money. I don't think I'm being that harsh, sorry if it sounds that way :)
blue

Post by blue »

Well I run web sites for a living, and I know there is part of the story we aren't being told there. There isn't a lot involved in getting a site like that back up after a bandwidth overage. Even if there are technical problems. I guess it's just annoying since they've actually taken money from people. Then again, I don't know the story either.
I don't think the guy who runs OSXAudio does it for a living. He's got a day job and does this on the side. The site got so big he started taking donations to handle the overhead.

I would just give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Any number of reasonable things could be adding to the delay.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Donating money to a site doesn't suddenly make it possible to keep it running in perpetuity. Each donation just helps with that month's bills. I suspect that he had to find a host that could handle more bandwidth for less money, and/or perform certain data handling tasks, or commercial operations, and ease the load on the one guy trying to keep the whole thing running while doing a "day" job.

Looks like it won't be down much longer.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Seattle Pete

Post by Seattle Pete »

They're still configuring their "Environment" I guess.

Back to DP ...
G4 933 tower 1.25 GB, PB 1.5 Ghz 1 GB, MOTU 896, MidiSport 2x2, DP 4.61, MOTU Symph Inst.
buddhabelly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by buddhabelly »

Maybe TDC has decided to take the opportunity to move to the new version they've been cooking up. Also, have they moved to the new server completely yet?

I don't think it's fair to jump on the site. I said the same thing there when ppl were up in arms about James not bringing unicornation back, as it's just simple to setup a site like this, I mean you could do it in your sleep. :roll:

osxaudio.com is also a labor of love, IMHO, of all the members that have contributed, monetary or otherwise.
porieux

Post by porieux »

OK fair enough. It's a long time for a site to be down though, I'm afraid they are going to lose a lot of momentum.

Actually it IS simple to set up sites like this.

<small>[ July 15, 2005, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: porieux ]</small>
wylie

Post by wylie »

Hopefully TDC is OK and nothing has happen to him.

Also he did post what he did with donations,new server,pay for ISP somehow I doubt if he was turning a profit.
TOD

Post by TOD »

All I know is that I miss OSXAudio. It was a great resource for hearing about new plugs, group buys, hardware and performance tips. There's now a hole in my forum searching heart that I've tried to replace with Gearslutz and DJforums, but it's just not the same. :(
DP 5.13 dual G5 2.7 synced to dual 1.42 via SMPTE, Muse Receptor (filled with Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Atmosphere, Elektrik piano, Disco DSP), OSX.410, Ableton LIVE, Apogee Big Ben, Apogee mini DAC, MachV, Symphonic, Ethno, M-Tron, Mx-4,Latigo, Jupiter Vi, iDrum, Microtonic, Kontakt3, Bassline, Bassline Pro, Ultra Focus, Novation Basstation, Novation Drum Station, Nord Lead2, JD-990, EMU Proteus, Orbit 2, MicroKorg, UAD, Poco, Altiverb, VW2, Waves, Ozone, to name a few :)
buddhabelly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by buddhabelly »

OK fair enough. It's a long time for a site to be down though, I'm afraid they are going to lose a lot of momentum.

Actually it IS simple to set up sites like this.
The only way that site will lose momentum is if it never comes back. A vast majority of the members (including myself) are longtime members, as in when the site launched almost 4 years ago. That's what makes the forums so great.

Setup is one thing, keeping running, paying bills, upgrading etc. Takes work. Until the new version is online, where TDC will be allowing more Site Admins, there is essentially one man (like James here) that runs the site between his real life and job.

Again, ppl said the same thing when unicornation was down. So I politely challenge: If it's so easy, then go do it! ;) No takers for a unicornation, and probably none for osxaudio either.
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by TOD:
All I know is that I miss OSXAudio. It was a great resource for hearing about new plugs, group buys, hardware and performance tips. There's now a hole in my forum searching heart that I've tried to replace with Gearslutz and DJforums, but it's just not the same. :(
I'll second that. It was the one site where you could find out about a comprehensive view on audio applications and issues around the Mac, whereas our beloved Unicornation focuses on MOTU. So it feels like a huge resource has been lost.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1