Automate effects - never works [RESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jglamar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automate effects - never works [RESOLVED]

Post by jglamar »

I have never once been able to automate effects in DP, since, ever.
Currently running DP6, OS10.5.6.
You'd think even if third-party plugs didn't work at least MWEQ would, but I have never once had luck with it. I've learned to make do without it, but now I really need it for this one piece.
I searched the archives but don't seem to find a fix.
Any help? Thanks,
Jamey
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Automate effects - never works

Post by wurliuchi »

jglamar wrote:I have never once been able to automate effects in DP, since, ever.
You'd think even if third-party plugs didn't work at least MWEQ would, but I have never once had luck with it. I've learned to make do without it, but now I really need it for this one piece.
Any help? Thanks,
Jamey
It's pretty easy, really. Here's one way: From the plug-in window itself, set automation to Record and Latch. Hit the space bar to play the sequence. Change the parameters of the plug-in how you want them and hit stop. Rewind and play. The moves should be there. Once you're satisfied with the changes, take automation out of record and it should automatically set itself to play.

If you have trouble, you might have to go into the Automation Setup window and check to see if Effect Parameter is turned on.

Another way to start off is to take a Snapshot (and filter it the way you want) and then adjust with Latch or Touch from there. You can find the snapshot buttons in the plug-in windows.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

If you read the section in the User Guide called "Mix Automation", you shouldn't have any problems at all. It explains every single detail you need to know. Which part of that section don't you understand, specifically?
There's nothing to fix. Study the pertinent chapter in the User Guide and you shouldn't have a problem. A "fix" implies that something's broken. Automation works just fine. No "fix" is needed.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6.7, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

In 5.13 make sure the automation is turned on, the green arrow is lit up on the channel. I've been burned by that a few times since you don't turn the automation on in Pro Tools.

bb
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

jglamar wrote:I have never once been able to automate effects in DP, since, ever.
Any help? Thanks,
Jamey
Automation always works. Never fails. If it's not working for you, there's a strange and unique bug in your system, but it's not DP. Are you turning it on? Have you set up Automation Setup? Pull down the menu under the automation buttons in the Mixing Board. Automation Setup can be accessed through that menu. It's the one that says Latch, Touch, Overwrite, Trim, etc. You may have, for some reason or another, exempted some controls from automation. Turn them back on by enabling them in the automation setup.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jglamar

Post by jglamar »

Thanks to all so far for responses.
I don't need to RFM, I know how automation works and use volume and pan automation all the time, and they always work fine. The only kind of automation that isn't working is regarding effects.
The behavior is like this: on opening DP for the first time, I can select (for instance) Insert C: MW Equalizer->LCF and the pencil tool appears. I can begin to insert one automation point, but when I click where I would like to insert first automation point, the pencil disappears and no automation points register. If I go back then to the insert C dropdown menu the parameters for MW EQ or whatever other effect are greyed out. The ONLY time they are not greyed out is the first time upon opening DP; after attempting to utilize the automate effect function just once they remain grey until restart.
Any help?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jglamar wrote:Thanks to all so far for responses.
I don't need to RFM, I know how automation works and use volume and pan automation all the time, and they always work fine. The only kind of automation that isn't working is regarding effects.
Did you check the manual reference given? I've always had plug-in automation work fine. There's some sort of user error occurring here, I can almost guarantee it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
magicd

Post by magicd »

Check the View Filter.

Dave
jglamar

Post by jglamar »

James, thanks for your post - I really appreciate your (always gentle and always wise) encouragement to all listers to double- and triple-check the manual. And again, I have, and I always do before I post. And in this case, the manual wasn't helping, for nowhere in its nineteen pages of coverage of automation did it mention the culprit:
Thanks to the wisdom of the list - and Magic Dave in particular - my problem has been resolved. Thanks Fantastic Dave, that was the winner. Set View Filter. Thank you, thank you thank you!
I just knew it was some radio button somewhere that was not properly set.
Probably many people visit that little corner of DP a lot, but in the last eight or nine years I don't think I have once. Might not have thought to check there for awhile longer yet.
Now, why was "Automation and Controllers" not selected in my view filter? I have no idea. Gremlins I guess. :-)

Thanks again, community.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Hey that's great, jglamar. I'm glad it wasn't anything more complicated. Now it's time for you to have some fun.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6.7, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sorry was in a hurry and didn't mean to be so brief in my earlier post. The "View Filter" thing has bitten all of us at one time or another! :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

but actually there ARE issues with DP and certain plug ins - I cant use the snapshot on arts acoustic... I can move individual para's - but the snapshot - is not working...

have tried it from 5 all th way to 6.01...

no no no no!

who hasnt the view filter bitten? :idea: flashing hazard lights and maybe a klaxon? - your view filter is activated -your view filter is activated-your view filter is activated-your view filter is activated-your view filter is activated
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

jglamar wrote: Now, why was "Automation and Controllers" not selected in my view filter? I have no idea. Gremlins I guess. :-)
We often turn off things when the page gets cluttered, just so we can reach what we want. It sits that way for 6 months before we need what we turned off. Then... it's a big mystery. Glad you found it. (er... Magic Dave found it)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
tikibars

Post by tikibars »

I had the same problem as the original poster.

It was not user error.

This might not be considered a bug, but it IS a weird, confusing, and IMHO useless "feature" of DP.

To be clear, this is what happened:

I needed to automate the Input Gain of a compressor placed on Insert D.

As usual, I went to the "Insert" menu on the left side of the track.

I navigated to Insert D > Input Gain

As usual the track greyed out, and I prepared to draw in my automation.

As I clicked on the track, making my first bit of drawing, the automation unexpectedly snapped back to plain old track volume automation from my Input Gain automation. It just switched on me as soon as I tried to draw something.

Then, when I tired to go back to Insert D > Input Gain, ALL parameters for Insert D were now grey and unavailable to me.

Somehow, the compressor parameters turned themselves off in the View Filters menu just by me clicking on the track while trying to draw automation.

This sounds like the same problem the original poster had.

Maybe we had the wrong tool selected....?
Or did we double or triple or double-and-a-half click when we shouldn't have...?
Or maybe DP was just in a bad mood that day?

But either way, trying to draw automation on a track should never result in that track's automation parameters becoming spontaneously (if temporarily) unavailable!

Who'd have thought to try to fix this issue by looking in the View Filters menu???
Took me half an hour to even consider that option.

With all respect to the regulars who make this forum special, let's not be so fast to dismiss every weird bit of unfortunate programming in this vast piece of software as "user error" or "failing to read the manual". I've been using Performer since 1992 (well before it became "Digital...") and I still find quirks.

The OP's problem is legit and has been repeated.

Hope this helps people in the future.
cheers -

James T.
http://www.tydirium.net
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

tikibars wrote:I had the same problem as the original poster.

It was not user error.

This might not be considered a bug, but it IS a weird, confusing, and IMHO useless "feature" of DP.

To be clear, this is what happened:

I needed to automate the Input Gain of a compressor placed on Insert D.

As usual, I went to the "Insert" menu on the left side of the track.

I navigated to Insert D > Input Gain

As usual the track greyed out, and I prepared to draw in my automation.

As I clicked on the track, making my first bit of drawing, the automation unexpectedly snapped back to plain old track volume automation from my Input Gain automation. It just switched on me as soon as I tried to draw something.

Then, when I tired to go back to Insert D > Input Gain, ALL parameters for Insert D were now grey and unavailable to me.

Somehow, the compressor parameters turned themselves off in the View Filters menu just by me clicking on the track while trying to draw automation.

This sounds like the same problem the original poster had.

Maybe we had the wrong tool selected....?
Or did we double or triple or double-and-a-half click when we shouldn't have...?
Or maybe DP was just in a bad mood that day?

But either way, trying to draw automation on a track should never result in that track's automation parameters becoming spontaneously (if temporarily) unavailable!

Who'd have thought to try to fix this issue by looking in the View Filters menu???
Took me half an hour to even consider that option.

With all respect to the regulars who make this forum special, let's not be so fast to dismiss every weird bit of unfortunate programming in this vast piece of software as "user error" or "failing to read the manual". I've been using Performer since 1992 (well before it became "Digital...") and I still find quirks.

The OP's problem is legit and has been repeated.

Hope this helps people in the future.
I have NEVER, EVER had this happen to me.