Distortion Pedals...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Distortion Pedals...

Post by Prime Mover »

I know this isn't exactly on-topic for DP, but I really trust everyone here on tone-related topics, so I thought I'd shoot this question your way.

I play in a progrock/metal band, and my guitarist is looking for a new distortion pedal. He's been using a decent Line 6 solid-state pedal, but being a bit of a gearhead, he's looking for a good tube pedal. We live in a small town in Alaska, so there's no guitar-centers or the like to be able to go try billions of different pedals, so we're having to partially rely on web reviews and outside suggestions. So, the other day, he picked up this Seymour-Duncan Mayhem twin-tube distortion pedal. We're running it out of this 75W bassman amp, it sounded pretty good, but honestly, probably could be a bit better, and wasn't very versitile. He's looking for a good thick metal tone (he listens to a lot of deathy stuff like Amorphis and Opeth), and I'm into my share of progmetal like Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation. But I'm worried that pedals that have good rythm sounds tend to sound really crappy for leads, and vice-versa. There's also the question of having separate EQ and gate pedals, or going with more self-contained stuff.

What route do you guys go, and what have you found works in setups you've dealt with?

Oh, and specifically, anyone have any experience with Damage Control Demonizer and Solid Metal pedals?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Larry Mal

Re: Distortion Pedals...

Post by Larry Mal »

I use a Pro Co Rat myself, and I love it, but it does bring up the point of a pedal being good for rhythm or lead. This shines for rhythm to me, but it doesn't cost a lot, and would be a great addition to any arsenal in my opinion. What you are describing sounds like a Tube Screamer to me. These two pedals have been around forever for a reason, it might be a good idea to start with some well established pedals here. Good luck, L
Mac Pro 2X2.8 GHz 8 Core, Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB's of RAM. Logic Pro 8. Digital Performer 5.13. Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4. Ableton Live 5. Focusrite Sapphire Pro 10 I/O interface.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

I have a collection of distortion pedals and a few that I use for those kind of sounds, are indeed the Tube screamer but an original TS9 not the reissue (which are not the same) An ibanez Super metal pedal which is an incredibly versatile pedal with very good filters. Steve Via used to use one.

One pedal thats still being made now is the Digi tech Bad monkey pedal which is very like the tube screamer but a tad more versatile, worthy of checking out.

Good luck with it.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
adeptusmajor
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by adeptusmajor »

i will always love my EH big muff pi

they make about a million different muff pedals now, offering all sorts of options, as well as some tube driven pedals.

there's demos on their website for most of their gear.

you really can't go wrong with any of the electro-harmonix stuff.

thick, creamy, and delicious.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I use the Adrenalinn III from Roger Linn, which is not really a pedal but with a set of rhythms and effects disengaged or not.
It is ironic but covers an ear to this product _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

adeptusmajor wrote:i will always love my EH big muff pi
Ditto. Not very expensive, and sounds awesome.
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
grouse

Post by grouse »

i love the "Jekyll & Hyde" by Visual Sound. apart from the fact that it sounds great it has both "overdrive" and "distortion" on it, controlled by two separate buttons. so it can be used for rhythm and then lead with a volume boost to boot. you can also combine the 2 sounds. it's 2 great pedals in one basically.
i've had many distortion pedals over the years and this is by far my favourite.
i've just noticed they have made a new version of this. i have one of the originals.

http://www.visualsound.net/v2jh.htm
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Do you guys use distortion pedals as an effect for a special type of sound? The reason I ask is that I haven't owned a distortion pedal in years. I get the sound I want from the amplifier. I have used a boost-type pedal (I use a Boss EQ pedal with gain for this) for leads, but that's about it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal »

That's a good point: when I play through an amp, which is virtually never these days, I use a 12 (I think) watt late 60's Fender Princeton and just turn it all the way up. The tubes distort great, the amp itself is distorting, and it isn't so loud to defeat either your hearing or a microphones. Fender makes a reissue that is designed to work the same way these days, it's a little juiced up but the concept is there.

To me, small amps are the best. I am still intrigued by those half watt pedal size amps I was looking at years ago for recording purposes as well.
Mac Pro 2X2.8 GHz 8 Core, Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB's of RAM. Logic Pro 8. Digital Performer 5.13. Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4. Ableton Live 5. Focusrite Sapphire Pro 10 I/O interface.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

James Steele wrote:Do you guys use distortion pedals as an effect for a special type of sound? The reason I ask is that I haven't owned a distortion pedal in years. I get the sound I want from the amplifier. I have used a boost-type pedal (I use a Boss EQ pedal with gain for this) for leads, but that's about it.
Pretty much I use the Tube screamer as an creamy overdrive for solo's etc.

I also use the EQ pedal in the way you do. It's such a great pedal that one.

The combination of the two works a real treat.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
grouse

Post by grouse »

James Steele wrote:Do you guys use distortion pedals as an effect for a special type of sound? The reason I ask is that I haven't owned a distortion pedal in years. I get the sound I want from the amplifier. I have used a boost-type pedal (I use a Boss EQ pedal with gain for this) for leads, but that's about it.

absolutely. amp-pedal combinations create their own unique tone. sometimes i like to crank the amp, other times i like the pedal.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
Tim

Post by Tim »

I have tons of pedals, most from the 60's and 70's. I use them in the studio for effect like you mention.
For live gigs, since the late 70's I've always used a boost pedal to kick in leads, with distortion and fuzz (Muff) pedals for low level distortion parts. For most of the 80's it was an old Ibanez three band eq pedal (which I still have) with the mid band boosted, but nowdays I use homemade clean boost pedals.

In the studio, more than pedals, I use different amps for different sounds.

I've never had a Tube Screamer; other cats can sound great with them, but not me.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Tim wrote:
I have tons of pedals, most from the 60's and 70's. I use them in the studio for effect like you mention.
For live gigs, since the late 70's I've always used a boost pedal to kick in leads, with distortion and fuzz (Muff) pedals for low level distortion parts. For most of the 80's it was an old Ibanez three band eq pedal (which I still have) with the mid band boosted, but nowdays I use homemade clean boost pedals.

In the studio, more than pedals, I use different amps for different sounds.

I've never had a Tube Screamer; other cats can sound great with them, but not me.
Let me know if you part with any PLEASE....

Thanks
kurtl

Post by kurtl »

I have and use a Mesa Road King. I love it. But found I still wanted a boost of some kind here and there. Then I discovered Monte Allums. http://www.monteallums.com/
I then thought I'd try his Boss DS-1 Mods. After all Mr Vai has used a Kelly modded DS-1 for his distortion for years. The DS-1 is the least expensive Boss. I got the DS-1 Rectifier Mod., just to see how close it got to the Mesa sound.
It is very close. Then I started using it to boost my already distorted Recto sound. You dial in a good crunchy metal rhythm, then step on the DS-1 for more of everything. It could be more volume or more distortion or bite. I also got the Super Overdrive SD-808 Mod Plus. And also the CS-3 Opto Mod, makes that compressor very usable. You can never have too many colors in your palette.
DP 10.13, OSX 10.13.6, MacPro 5.1 12 core, 48gigs RAM, 2408Mk3, 2408Mk2, 2 Fastlanes, 2-UAD2 solos, Machfive 2/3.2.1, MSI, BFD3
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Waiting for delivery of a Fulltone GT-500.
A dual overdrive + distorsion pedal. Seems very flexible.
If this one is what I expect it to be, I'll report here.

BTW you'll find many reports on nearly every pedals on Youtube.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.32, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...