Snap to Grid in Tracks window

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Snap to Grid in Tracks window

Post by ghobish »

How do you turn it off? According to page 299 in the DP6 manual, you should be able to set the on/off state for each edit window independently, but I can only set it for the Sequence editor. What am I missing?

Thanks- Gary
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
PrimeMover

Post by PrimeMover »

I don't think it's possible. That's not what the tracks window is for, after all. That's what the sequence editor is for. However, holding the command key down while dragging MIGHT have that effect, but I've never tried it.
Mac Pro (Quad 2GHz) | 7GB RAM | Mac OS 10.5.4 (Leopard)
DP6 & DP 5.13 | Kontakt 3 | EWQLSO Gold XP
MOTU 8pre | Alesis QS8.1 Synthesizer
DP6 crashes with ProVerb
zed

Post by zed »

That is correct, PrimeMover.

Snap to grid is usually your friend, Gary. But by holding down the command key (in any DP window) you can freely move MIDI or soundbites without any grid restraints.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

zed wrote:That is correct, PrimeMover.

Snap to grid is usually your friend, Gary. But by holding down the command key (in any DP window) you can freely move MIDI or soundbites without any grid restraints.
I'm not trying to use the Tracks window as the Sequence Editor. Here's why I'm asking: something that's always been lacking in the SE is an indicator that instantly tells you the length of a selection. The workaround was to open the time stretching window, which would give you that info, then cancel. There is a selection length indicator in DP6's SE, but it does not update itself unless you go through the same exercise.

If, however, you do a selection in the TO, it's selection length indicator updates immediately; but since I can't turn the grid off, I can't make the selection I need.

Either way it' still having to jump through hoops to get what is very basic information that should be available in either the SE or the TO at all times.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
zed

Post by zed »

ghobish wrote:If, however, you do a selection in the TO, it's selection length indicator updates immediately; but since I can't turn the grid off, I can't make the selection I need.
But if you hold down the command key while selecting, you are not restrained by the grid. You should be able to get exactly what you need, shouldn't you?
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

zed wrote:
ghobish wrote:If, however, you do a selection in the TO, it's selection length indicator updates immediately; but since I can't turn the grid off, I can't make the selection I need.
But if you hold down the command key while selecting, you are not restrained by the grid. You should be able to get exactly what you need, shouldn't you?
I'll try that tomorow, thanks.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

valid point gary

i have a key to do as u described - ie call up the stretch window for the duraration.. seems like basic info you need regularly... would using the I beam to double click then switching to the TO work?

I know there are some selection commands that DONT work unless the TO is open somewhere - ie more start/end selection to wiper... not at DP now - is this a similiar case perhaps?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

martian wrote:valid point gary

i have a key to do as u described - ie call up the stretch window for the duraration.. seems like basic info you need regularly...
Yeah, I have a key shortcut set up to call that window, and any of the scenarios here would require that I do extra keystrokes (like calling up the TO which, being a non-MIDI guy, I rarely use).
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

blue

Post by blue »

In DP6 there is now a preference for showing the grid state for the TO. Go to your prefs and select Information Bar. Click on Grid Snap for the TO.

There's only one problem. At least on my machine, the grid settings for the TO don't work. Oh well.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
grouse

Post by grouse »

hi gary,

good to see you on here. it sounds like you won't be able to do what you want directly in the sequence editor unless 6.1 provides it.
but, as previous poster's have said, in any window, holding down apple will disable any snap to grid going on.
i do have a question though. what is the time stretching window?!
i'm on 5.13.....and my manual is deep in a box, getting ready to move house!
martian

Post by martian »

ghobish wrote:
martian wrote:valid point gary

i have a key to do as u described - ie call up the stretch window for the duraration.. seems like basic info you need regularly...
Yeah, I have a key shortcut set up to call that window, and any of the scenarios here would require that I do extra keystrokes (like calling up the TO which, being a non-MIDI guy, I rarely use).
modify your basic window set... so TO is always open - you dont have to see it... can be hidden behind / size of postage stamp?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

zed

Post by zed »

ghobish wrote:...like calling up the TO which, being a non-MIDI guy, I rarely use...
I'm always baffled when someone tells me they don't use the Tracks Overview as a permanent window in their DP setup. :shock: Whether you are a MIDI guy or not, there are so many things that need to be done in the TO, and many things which can be done most efficiently in the TO that it makes me wonder how anyone could function without it for any length of time. I will often be doing something in the Tracks Overview almost EVERY MINUTE of my working day, unless I am focussed on a very specific editing task in an edit window, and even then I am usually referring to the TO regularly, and using it to enable/disable tracks, add markers, or select regions, etc.
martian

Post by martian »

as another non MIDI guy (in DP ) it is tempting to spend along time in the SE editor...

if i want to add or move marker I use the conductor track or marker window

the TO does have it's uses tho - great for an overview... in's outs and stuff..

most of my assistants are in ghobish's gang much to my dismay!

tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

ghobish wrote:
I'm not trying to use the Tracks window as the Sequence Editor. Here's why I'm asking: something that's always been lacking in the SE is an indicator that instantly tells you the length of a selection. The workaround was to open the time stretching window, which would give you that info, then cancel. There is a selection length indicator in DP6's SE, but it does not update itself unless you go through the same exercise.

If, however, you do a selection in the TO, it's selection length indicator updates immediately; but since I can't turn the grid off, I can't make the selection I need.

Either way it' still having to jump through hoops to get what is very basic information that should be available in either the SE or the TO at all times.

In Preferences/ Editing/ Information Bar, there are 4 circles to check for each of a number of windows. When I check the Selection button, in the Sequence row (top row) the Selection Field Appears in the Information bar at the top of the Sequence Window, including the Selection length (after its start and end) and also there's the ability to check off the Grid snap.
OH! - but it only updates if you do your selecting on the TIme Ruler. I see what you mean, ghobish.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

zed wrote:
ghobish wrote:...like calling up the TO which, being a non-MIDI guy, I rarely use...
I'm always baffled when someone tells me they don't use the Tracks Overview as a permanent window in their DP setup. :shock: Whether you are a MIDI guy or not, there are so many things that need to be done in the TO, and many things which can be done most efficiently in the TO that it makes me wonder how anyone could function without it for any length of time.
I am indeed trying to spend more time there, as for playback at least it would seem to use fewer resources, but the fact is that probably 80% of my time is spent editing, working on automation or mixing; For ins/outs, enabling tracks, etc. I have the mix window open (I have two screen setup) so it's not like I'm missing functionality.

I'm not trying to avoid the TO, but this is the method I've developed of working over the years. Maybe now that the tracks window has resizable tracks, I'll do more recording in there. But it would still be nice to be able to turn the grid off without having to hold a modifier key every time you make a selection.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca