"Link Selection to Memory" not working in DP6?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PrimeMover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"Link Selection to Memory" not working in DP6?

Post by PrimeMover »

I have yet to read anything about this... but currently the "Link Selection to Memory" function does nothing right now. When I enable this and "Link Memory to Playback" the two blue arrows simply appear at opposite ends of the sequence, regardless if there has been any selection made in the sequence.

So, currently, if I want a few measures to loop (while I tweak plugins or whatnot), I have to manually drag the memory arrows into place... a real waste of time.

Anyone else experience this, or know what might be causing this?

***** ADDENDUM ****

It seems that with DP6, the "Link Selection to Memory" function only works with selections made with the "I-Beam" tool, and not the arrow tool, as it did with DP5. With the "I-Beam" tool selected, it works just fine... however, I never keep the Tools palette open in the tracks window, because it has typically been completely useless, I guess I'll have to learn to constantly double-tap "A" and "I" in the tracks window when making memory selections. Actually this could be useful because it means you can make selections without disrupting your memory points. I could learn to like this... but it might take some getting used to, and it would have been nice to have some sort of warning somewhere, it's not even written in the manual.
Mac Pro (Quad 2GHz) | 7GB RAM | Mac OS 10.5.4 (Leopard)
DP6 & DP 5.13 | Kontakt 3 | EWQLSO Gold XP
MOTU 8pre | Alesis QS8.1 Synthesizer
DP6 crashes with ProVerb
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Also, you can use the keyboard shortcuts for Selection, Auto-Record, and Memory. The stock keybindings for these are as follows:

F1 - Put counter's value into Memory Start
F2 - Put counter's value into Memory End
F3 - Put counter's value into Auto-Record Start
F4 - Put counter's value into Auto-Record End
F5 - Put counter's value into Selection Start
F6 - Put counter's value into Selection End

I changed all mine to "Option-F1, Option-F2... etc." because I have the first four Function Keys assigned to Exposé and Dashboard.

Notice the meme: MAS. (Memory, Auto-record, Selection) So, for each letter of MAS, the odd F number goes to the start, and the even number goes to the end. I think that makes it easier to remember these, even if you don't use them very often. I use mine every day. In fact, when I'm editing MIDI, working on passage at a time, the first thing I do when I go to a new location is click Option-F1 for my Memory Start time. Then my auto-rewind takes me to the beginning of that passage every time I hit stop. The keypad's 7,8,9, and minus all serve some function in regard to memory transport. Good to learn those.

So, what we've done here is to transfer your dependency on a button to a series of keyboard commands that are arguably faster. That's not a bad thing. You only have to get used to it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
blue

Re: "Link Selection to Memory" not working in DP6?

Post by blue »

PrimeMover wrote:…if I want a few measures to loop (while I tweak plugins or whatnot), I have to manually drag the memory arrows into place... a real waste of time.
You could use "control-space," which will loop your selection and begin playback from the selection start. I use this all the time and I like it better than the "Link Selection to Memory" thing because I don't have to toggle it on and off.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
PrimeMover

Post by PrimeMover »

blue wrote:You could use "control-space," which will loop your selection and begin playback from the selection start. I use this all the time and I like it better than the "Link Selection to Memory" thing because I don't have to toggle it on and off.
That's pretty cool... never thought of that. However, you must have "memory cycle" turned on, or it will simply continue playing past the selection... but there's really no need to ever turn "memory cycle" off anyway, so there you have it!
Mac Pro (Quad 2GHz) | 7GB RAM | Mac OS 10.5.4 (Leopard)
DP6 & DP 5.13 | Kontakt 3 | EWQLSO Gold XP
MOTU 8pre | Alesis QS8.1 Synthesizer
DP6 crashes with ProVerb
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

PrimeMover wrote:It seems that with DP6, the "Link Selection to Memory" function only works with selections made with the "I-Beam" tool, and not the arrow tool, as it did with DP5. With the "I-Beam" tool selected, it works just fine...
Hello.
I've made the test with DP5.13 and it's the same. The arrow selection on a soundbite doesn't set the blue points to the selection. You'll have to use the I-beam selector to make this happen.
I think that is because the I-beam selector makes a "time selection" and the arrow makes a "soundbite selection" (which include no time)

Anyway, I'm still waiting my copy of DP6 but you know that switzerland is slow :wink:

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Shooshie wrote: F1 - Put counter's value into Memory Start
F2 - Put counter's value into Memory End
F3 - Put counter's value into Auto-Record Start
F4 - Put counter's value into Auto-Record End
F5 - Put counter's value into Selection Start
F6 - Put counter's value into Selection End

Notice the meme: MAS. (Memory, Auto-record, Selection) So, for each letter of MAS, the odd F number goes to the start, and the even number goes to the end.
blue wrote: You could use "control-space," which will loop your selection and begin playback from the selection start. I use this all the time and I like it better than the "Link Selection to Memory" thing because I don't have to toggle it on and off.
Thanks guys! It's these random reminders and tips that make it so useful dropping by here regularly. Much appreciated!

:D :D
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Grigri wrote:
PrimeMover wrote:It seems that with DP6, the "Link Selection to Memory" function only works with selections made with the "I-Beam" tool, and not the arrow tool, as it did with DP5. With the "I-Beam" tool selected, it works just fine...
Hello.
I've made the test with DP5.13 and it's the same. The arrow selection on a soundbite doesn't set the blue points to the selection. You'll have to use the I-beam selector to make this happen.
I think that is because the I-beam selector makes a "time selection" and the arrow makes a "soundbite selection" (which include no time)

Anyway, I'm still waiting my copy of DP6 but you know that switzerland is slow :wink:

David

CHeck your selection tool prefs. I forget whether it's in the prefs menu or at the end of the Edit menu (used to be the Edit Menu, probably still is). There are three kinds of actions from the selection tool: Range, Notes and other objects, and... I forget the 3rd. (but I actually wrote it somewhere in a thread just a week ago) If you're having trouble with some kind of selection, see if using other options might fix the problem.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

I played around with this for a while and it appears that there's only one scenario where this doesn't work as expected (that is, as it did in DP 5.13): making a time range selection with the Arrow tool in the Tracks Overview grid.

It works as expected when making a time range selection:
- with the Arrow tool in the Tracks Overview ruler
- with the Arrow tool in the Sequence Editor
- with the I-beam tool in the Tracks Overview or Sequence Editor

Doesn't make much difference in the end if you always use this mode with the Arrow tool in the Tracks Overview grid, but it might be useful to note that there are workarounds.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Thanks Shooshie!
The third option is All selection

It is correct on my system and for me it's not a bug the way it is now, I press "I" on my keyboard if I need the "link selection to memory".

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -