1.3 MIDI driver question

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
burger
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

1.3 MIDI driver question

Post by burger »

Just sownloaded the new1.3 MIDI driver. My MIDI Timepiece AV and 2 Micro lites are now greyed out. I tried to rescan and powered down everything and turned it back on but still my audio MIDI set up is not seeing my USB MIDI devices. Any ideas???

thanks,

b
Dual 2.5 gig G5 2.5 gig RAM. DP 4.52
2408 MK3, Digi 96 & 192. Pro Tools Accel HD 2. Various plug ins.
cmm

Re: 1.3 MIDI driver question

Post by cmm »

According to a couple of posts over in OSXAudio, this driver greys out your existing MIDI device, meaning you have to add a new device, and re-draw your connections to it. From there apparently everything works fine. I'm about to do the smae shortly so I'll let you know if there are problems

good luck

Andrew
DP7.22, MacPro 2.26ghz Quad Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS10.6.6, ViennaInstr/VEPro (crrnt), Waves NPP, PSP (various), Ozone4, Kontakt3 (crrnt), SymphChoirs, Omnisphere/Trillian/Stylus RMX (all current), TruePiano, 2408mk1, 828mk1, Yamaha 01V96
cmm

Post by cmm »

The original device icon is greyed out, but a new icon appeared automatically. Re-drawing the connections and deleting the old is all you need.
DP7.22, MacPro 2.26ghz Quad Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS10.6.6, ViennaInstr/VEPro (crrnt), Waves NPP, PSP (various), Ozone4, Kontakt3 (crrnt), SymphChoirs, Omnisphere/Trillian/Stylus RMX (all current), TruePiano, 2408mk1, 828mk1, Yamaha 01V96
modular

Post by modular »

Same thing happened to me. Tech support said it shouldn't and couldn't happen but it did. I have 4 MTP/AV (two pairs networked together), so in Audio MIDI Setup they show up as two 16 channel MTPs (#1 and #2). The new driver added MTPs #3 & #4 and greyed out #1 & #2. What threw me for a loop though was that when I redrew the connections to my MIDI gear (#1->#3 and #2->#4), things still did not work. It turned out that MTP #3 had taken the place of #2 and #4 took the place of #1 (I know-it was confusing for me too). After much redrawing, everything is now working properly.
DP8.04, Mac Pro 2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core running 10.6.8, 16GB RAM, Pro Tools HD5 with four 192 interfaces,VEP Pro 5 running on custom built PC/Windows 7, Vienna Instrument Pro, 2 x MOTU Travellers, UAD Apollo Quad, Waves 9, Slate Digital, Sound Toys, Spectrasonics Stylus, Omnisphere, Trillian, Ivory, Lounge Lizard, Kontact 5, Guitar Rig, LASS strings, Symphobia 1 & 2, Control 24, 2 x Artist Mix and 1 x Artist Control, Yamaha Disklavier Pro plus too many other VIs and plugins to list
tremolounge

Post by tremolounge »

Originally posted by cmm:
The original device icon is greyed out, but a new icon appeared automatically. Re-drawing the connections and deleting the old is all you need.
Same thing here, only I have a MIDI express XT USB.
Mac Pro 2.66 | 8GB | X.4.11 | 828mk2 | UAD-1 + 2 | Logic 8 | DP 6
Rush909
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Rush909 »

I think it's safe to assume now that MOTU Does NOT test their software before releasing it!

MOTU "the little company that could.......not test"

r.
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

This "greying out" of the MIDI interface has happened to me if I just happen to unplug my usb connection and plug it back in, nothing to do with upgrading drivers. Obviously not a big deal. I'm curious to try version 1.3 anyway. The last version didn't work for me so I've been using 1.22 instead. I would say that if you're worried, just drag the old MIDI driver out to the desktop in the event that 1.3 screws something out. To go back all you'll have to do is drag the old driver back in.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
burger

Post by burger »

OK. I had to unplug the USB connections to the MOTU MIDI devices and redraw. All is well now. Thanks.
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

The same thing happened to me, but redrawing fixed things.

The thing that I couldn't figure out for a while was how to get my MTP/AV renamed. (I didn't want the "#2" at the end).

In a dazzling display of interface inconsistency, you can't rename the MIDI interface directly from the Audio MIDI Setup application like you can with your devices. Instead, you have to go into Clockworks and select "Rename Device" from the File menu, or press the key-combo Command-E.

Just in case any of you were as confused as I was. ;)
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

This is NOT a small thing. Some of us have rather large setups and updating a MIDI driver
that greys out a MIDI config is bogus and takes valuable time away from composiung our projects. None of them have done this in the past to my knowledge.

On the othe hand, since this driver update has not solved the stuck note problem I ain't touching it with a ten foot pole!
Bruce Zimmerman
Sound Productions/ZimMusic Library

MacPro 3.3 6 core, Yosemite/Lion, DP 8, MTPAV, MOTU 828mkIII, Spectrasonics VIs, Ivory 2, Mach V2 3, Vienna, Ethno 2, Lots of Play VIs, etc

In your eyes, the light, the heat
mess
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mess »

That didn't happen to me..... did you turn off your interface before running the installer or did you leave it on? I turned mine off and then restarted and things seem to be fine on my system.....
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

This update causes issues with the MIDI server not to mention blows away your old studio config in the audio MIDI setup app... i thought we were past this stage.....
burger

Post by burger »

For those about to install this new 1.3 MIDI driver, just make sure you take a picture first (cmd+shift+4) of your current MIDI set up.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Originally posted by buns:
For those about to install this new 1.3 MIDI driver, just make sure you take a picture first (cmd+shift+4) of your current MIDI set up.
You don't really need a pic as it leaves the old setup with the interface greyed out.

I just connected the devices to the new interface while leaving the old ones connected too so I could make sure I was doing it right. Then delete the old and grey interface.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Originally posted by motumacman:
This update causes issues with the MIDI server not to mention blows away your old studio config in the audio MIDI setup app... i thought we were past this stage.....
What issues, besides greying out the interface?