Dedicated internal drive suggestions for G5?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
joconnel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dedicated internal drive suggestions for G5?

Post by joconnel »

I want to get a dedicated audio internal drive for my dual 2.5 G5. What should i get? any suggestions?
DP 4.6 Dual 2.5 G5 OSX.39 2.5GB RAM 2408mk3 with pci 424 and 1224. MTP AV Autotune 4, waves platinum 5.x NI B4, Mach 5, arturia minimoogV. API, calrec, UA2610, Distressors, adl1000....yaddayadda
mr miyagi

Re: Dedicated internal drive suggestions for G5?

Post by mr miyagi »

If it's speed you want -- I installed a 10K rpm ATA 70GB Raptor and it's been running great -- but I really don't know if it makes that much a difference -- although you figure it should be 25% faster than a 7200 rpm drive. I'm more concerned about upload speeds from my sampler libraries, so I put a lot of stuff on the Raptor.
2.5Ghz G5, DP 4.61, OSX 10.4.5, 2408MK3/PCI-424, MTP/AV, UAD-1, Spectrasonics, Mach5, GPO, Albino, Panasonic DA7
joconnel

Post by joconnel »

hey thanks! What is the raptor? who makes it? Do you know if they make a bigger drive?
DP 4.6 Dual 2.5 G5 OSX.39 2.5GB RAM 2408mk3 with pci 424 and 1224. MTP AV Autotune 4, waves platinum 5.x NI B4, Mach 5, arturia minimoogV. API, calrec, UA2610, Distressors, adl1000....yaddayadda
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

barefeats.com is a great source for this stuff... this is good reading:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard39.html
15" Macbook Pro Retina quad 2.5Ghz 16G/512G SSD (2015 model),
Raven MTi2, 4k Vizio TV, Pegasus TB2 RAID5 (6TB),
UAD TB Apollo Twin Duo, UAD TB Satellite Octo, Tascam DM-3200/IFFW-DMII
DP 9.0.2 (Pro Tools 12.4, Logic Pro X 10.2.2), OS X 10.10.5
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by DPapolooza:
hey thanks! What is the raptor? who makes it? Do you know if they make a bigger drive?
Western Digital makes it. And, no, 74GB is the largest one I believe. I bought one a couple weeks ago, but had to remove it for now since space is higher priority for me than speed at the moment. My plan is to buy an external SATA enclosure and install it there. Our local Fry's doesn't have these enclosures in stock though, so I'm gonna have to mail order it.

Just to be clear, by "SATA enclosure" I mean an enclosure that holds a SATA drive and connects to the Mac via SATA (as opposed to an enclosure that holds a SATA drive and connects to the Mac via Firewire or USB 2.0).
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

several other threads on the same subject, use the search, here are a couple for you:

Ram/Hard drive reccomendations
SATA Drive ideas
Second Drive for audio?
Advice on SATA drive needed....

Look and ye shall find.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

...and just saw this over @ creativemac.com

its a 2.5 Terabyte SATA II external enclosure from LaCie. Whoa.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by BKK-OZ:
...and just saw this over @ creativemac.com

its a 2.5 Terabyte SATA II external enclosure from LaCie. Whoa.
OMG! In the spirit of Wayne's World ---> It will be mine.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

don't do it Qo, you'll just end up downloading bit torrent stuff 24/7 just to see if you can fill it!
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by BKK-OZ:
don't do it Qo, you'll just end up downloading bit torrent stuff 24/7 just to see if you can fill it!
:D :D :D Don't tell the RIAA. No, seriously, what's bit torrent :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: