CD's, anyone?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CD's, anyone?

Post by David Polich »

I'm finishing up my band's CD. Thinking about duplication - and it occurred to me, I don't know anyone under 35 who even buys CD's anymore.

I've been through the "stack of unsold CD's" scenario before. It seems to be pretty u nimportant to press a CD now, except to send one to an interested label or manager, AFTER they've visited your website and expressed further interest. I don't think I'm even gonna sell CD's at our shows - seems that a card with our website on it and a "coupon" for one free download track would make more sense.

Times have changed...
drvinnie

Post by drvinnie »

As the times change, so do the methods. I'm not 100% familiar with a site like lulu.com, but I'm thinking that this could be a way to get things up and running rather quickly. No need to store 1,000 CDs somewhere when you can upload content to the site, and have them create CDs for you on demand.

I could be wrong. Lulu may not be the site in question, but if it isn't, there's a way that someone can make a killng fulfilling this kind of stuff, yes? Hmmm... I know HTML, maybe I... well, I'm getting distracted.

Anyway, let me know if this helps, and if this is a viable alternative to the boxes of CDs scenario.
johnnytucats
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by johnnytucats »

I think more and more unsigned artists will skip the CD route and go directly to online services through Tunecore.com or another method. Probably put up three songs or so only. Sort of like pitching to a publisher or record company, only this way they'll be pitching directly to J. Q. Public.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

johnnytucats wrote:... Sort of like pitching to a publisher or record company, only this way they'll be pitching directly to J. Q. Public.
Pitching, huh?
Better make sure they're in tune, HC. :lol:

Sorry.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm old school for today's times, and I only buy CDs. I've never paid to download a song, and don't plan on starting until the audio quality and price point is where it should be, not where it is now.

I'm not typical. I don't have a cel phone, cable/satellite or an iPod either. Like I said, I'm a dinosaur. But, I thought I'd pipe up just to prove that some people still buy CDs. I buy new ones on-line (Amazon and CD Universe mostly), and used in the retail used CD shops.

But your point that nobody buys CDs probably has more to do with the fact that you're not famous already (well, besides here), and aren't subsidized by a major with a marketing budget.

I heard a report on NPR yesterday that sales of Classical CDs are up. Whatever success you have depends on many factors, as I'm sure you know, that have very little to do with talent.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I just spoke with a friend in Brazil who's cd has sold out of the bins there. so... there are still uses for pressed cd's but not in the USA.

The last c.d. I produced I simply printed 10 copies for CD baby. Everything from there went digi distribution.

It's a new world indeed unless you are on a major label.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2