Should I do a fresh tiger OSX install? Current 10.3.9

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

The Sinner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Should I do a fresh tiger OSX install? Current 10.3.9

Post by The Sinner »

Hey all.

So I am holding in my hand the Tiger OSX fresh from apple. I have been forced by a client to install Logic onto this computer and I can no longer be running my "safe" copy of 10.3.9, which I was paranoid to change because I was running DP just perfect.

Lately, even thought my cpu monitor has stayed to its usual dynamics, I have noticed funny things happening like generally my computer seemingly slowing down. Safari crashing and running slow.

Should I do a fresh OSX install? This is just a big task because of all the crap on my harddrives. Then I must find all the install discs in my closet and redo anything. I am concerned about my kontakt and finale authorizations that i will mess them up in the reformat.

Alternative is to do an upgrade the ghetto way, keeping all my files. Is there a performance upgrade with a reformat?
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I notice Tiger dose seem to run slower for me. When it looks at a drive and the pizza wheel spins I know it. Did you up date every thing? If you can not get the results by up dating maybe you will need to do a clean install. Some people say you do not need to do clean installs in OSX but I don't know.
Last edited by twistedtom on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

A few months ago I did an archive and install from 10.3.9 to Tiger. It worked, and I am glad I did the archive, because I ended up copying some files from the archive to the new system. The only thing that didn't carry over (and I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet) is related to the Adobe graphics apps - and it's a minor issue. My audio apps are working fine. Tiger (running 10.4.6) isn't much different on my Powerbook G4 than 10.3.9 but I also don't think it runs any slower. The only other glitch that happened is that an external firewire drive I built that ran fine with 10.3.9 wasn't liked by Tiger (it's connected to my pcmcia firewire adapter, and I tried the internal bus, too) and I ended up replacing it with a LaCie drive. Seems like Tiger didn't like the firewire chip in the home-built firewire housing or something like that.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you considered cloning your current system drive to a spare drive, then partitioning your system drive, re-cloning your current system to one partition and installing Tiger on a separate partition with the apps you need? Possibly the best of both worlds. Old Faithful is always ready to roll, just re-start after selecting the old parition as your start up drive in System Preferences (Apple menu item). Once you get Tiger running perfectly, the old partition's importance will wane, and become only a distant memory... one hopes!

CarbonCopyCloner will handle the cloning chores for you.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32