Switch from Opcode to MOTU

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mastermix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Switch from Opcode to MOTU

Post by mastermix »

Originally posted by 666:
So, what ever happened to the Opcode people? Are they working for someone else? Are they developing new music software? Seems like a waste of good talent if they all just faded away.
Doug Wyatt -- OMS author and SVP co-developer is now at Apple -- the architect of CoreAudio and CoreMidi -- similarities are quite obvious.

Doug maintains a personal website at

http://sonosphere.com/

Very interesting stuff.

Dave Oppenheim (co-author of the MIDI spec) and founder of
Opcode and Vision/SVP architect is at large ;-)

David Zicarelli is a founder of Cycling '74 I think...Max et al..

Dunno where Ray Spears is now...

Maybe others with more info can chime in here...

Kris...

<small>[ May 11, 2005, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: mastermix ]</small>
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Another SVP to DP switcher here.
I still miss some of SVP's features, but I am loving DP and OSX.
This combo is a beautiful thing for me.
All is well
djdayson

Post by djdayson »

Hi Vijay...

Chris Halaby and Dan Timis started Muse Research.

http://www.museresearch.com/

Keith Borman, and Jarrell Irvin were at Muse as well, thoughI'm, not sure if they're still there?

Dave Oppenheim is helping update PT's MIDI at Digidesign (possibly part time or consulting, not sure)?

Doug
Originally posted by mastermix:
So, what ever happened to the Opcode people? Are they working for someone else? Are they developing new music software? Seems like a waste of good talent if they all just faded away.
Doug Wyatt -- OMS author and SVP co-developer is now at Apple -- the architect of CoreAudio and CoreMidi -- similarities are quite obvious.

Very interesting stuff.

Kris...
djdayson

Post by djdayson »

Hi Vijay...

I started with Performer, and then switched to SVP when audio became available via Pro Tools H/W. I've used them all at one time or another and still prefer SVP for my way of working (recording live performances, no looping etc).

To that end, for MIDI I prefer SVP.

For MIDI/Audio I prefer DP or SVP, depending if I'm Mixing ITB (if yes then DP, if no then SVP), and Cubase after that.

I've never been able to get comfortable with Logic.

For Audio only with light MIDI I'm quite happy in Pro Tools.

I agree with the concept that DP is the easiest to migrate to from SVP...

Doug
Originally posted by dix:
Hello Vijay. I recognize you from the opcode-users list. Welcome.

I agree w the posts above. Though still not as elegant as SVP, DP is by far the most Vision-like of the DAWs for OSX. Back in the day when DP and SV were kings and close competitors they evolved more or less along the same track-based paradigm while Cubase, Logic etc. followed their own object-based path. Since Gibson's killing of SVP DP has continued along the same trajectory and therefore should be far more familiar to SVP users. In fact when Opcode was taken out MOTU added several "Vision-like" features to DP to entice users into the DP fold. Using DP will be a huge adjustment, but not a complete do-over as Logic would be.

Good on ya for sticking with SVP as long as you did!

Boycott Gibson Forever!
djdayson

Post by djdayson »

Hi Vijay...

Chris Halaby and Dan Timis started Muse Research.

http://www.museresearch.com/

Keith Borman, and Jarrell Irvin were at Muse as well, thoughI'm, not sure if they're still there?

Dave Oppenheim is helping update PT's MIDI at Digidesign (possibly part time or consulting, not sure)?

Doug
Originally posted by mastermix:

Very interesting stuff.

Kris...
dacart

Post by dacart »

Originally posted by pinky:

The DSP section of DP and the Core MIDI on Mac OS X are much easier than OMS was. I still have my Studio 4 (but no SCSI to plug into). It's worth about $10 on eBay...
I think you mean serial port, not SCSI, and as a matter of fact I have my Studio 4 hooked up to my G5 so I can load patches to and from my old, but still rockin', Roland VG8. I'm not in front of it now but there's a company that makes serial port cards that fit into the modem slot. Works like a charm.

Oh, and as a former SVP user I concur with everything that has been posted about the late great SVP. There was an editing function in there that was so deep and logical I wish that MOTU would take a look at it. I have SVP on my machine at home. I'll come back with it and see what you all think.
Dan Carter

<small>[ May 12, 2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Dan Carter ]</small>
"Ted, you know the way you are? Don't be that way!" Lou Grant to Ted Baxter
mastermix

Post by mastermix »

Originally posted by Dan Carter:
Originally posted by pinky:

The DSP section of DP and the Core MIDI on Mac OS X are much easier than OMS was. I still have my Studio 4 (but no SCSI to plug into). It's worth about $10 on eBay...
I think you mean serial port, not SCSI, and as a matter of fact I have my Studio 4 hooked up to my G5 so I can load patches to and from my old, but still rockin', Roland VG8. I'm not in front of it now but there's a company that makes serial port cards that fit into the modem slot. Works like a charm.

Dan Carter
The Stealth or the G Port devices & drivers will do the job.

Some interesting info here:

http://www.sonosphere.com/Doug/Archives/2004/12/16/Studio5OSX

Kris...
bdr

Post by bdr »

Vijay...I moved to DP 5 years ago once I realised SVP was dead and buried (although I still look in on the opcode-users list now and then in the hopes of hearing about some secret project to port SVP to OS X...) It has a lot of great features and quite a few I couldn't do without. Just realise that you will need to sit with the manual by your side for a while. It is reminicent of SVP in certain aspects but it's kind of what (I would imagine) it feels like to have Alzheimers.."I know I can do this, I just can't remember how to..." Forget the inaptly named Logic.
Good luck...once you learn it, it's all butter...

Brett
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
gaucho

Post by gaucho »

that utility is a FANTASTIC idea!!!

i too keep an old mac around for the sole purpose of accessing old vision files and making them into midifiles. i used vision for years, and have hundreds of projects, each containing dozens of sequences. when i need to get to an old project, i fire up that old box and must use a USB floppy drive to get it to my G4.

I'll bet there are many of us who'd love such a utility.

Incidentally, DP goes far deeper than vision ever dreamed of. i love it.
pinky

Post by pinky »

I did indeed mean serial port. How soon we forget port names when we don't use them (serial or SCSI).

Kinda like old loves... or hates in this case.
vksolanki

Post by vksolanki »

What - so no one here has a thought on the subject ?? just kidding - thanks all.

Sticks of butter 'round :-)
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

I agree with all the fond memories of Studio Vision. In fact I bought a G4 last year just so I could continue running SV in 9 for a while, although now I wish I had bought a little more CPU horsepower. Logic is the most illogical program I've ever used. DP is OK, but just that, OK. All I really appreciate now are the virtual instruments and the ability to load an entire project with one "open" commnad. But I also still miss the reliability of SampleCell, along with, as someone reminded me, the simplicity of SoundTools. Remember in the old days when you were either an Arp guy or a Moog guy? (I was an Arp guy.) Then it was either Prophet or Oberheim, and then Vision or Performer (I was the former in both cases; no real logic there, to make a bad pun). Ah well, it was easier back in the old days....
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
lestermagneto

anyone get svp working on "classic"?

Post by lestermagneto »

just wondering if anyone has had success getting svp working in a classic environment. i have so much stuff on that seq, it is going to suck to have to transfer it all. .....
zed

Post by zed »

What about a new feature in DP that WOULD allow SVP files to be opened up and saved as DP files?

How hard could it be to interpret the MIDI data in a SVP file and have all the sequences converted into DP chunks?

I have thousands of SVP files (each with numerous embedded sequences) which need to be exported before I can use them in DP or another DAW. That's 14 years worth of work that's still keeping me handcuffed to a G4 that can boot in OS9.

Anyone feel like programming such a utility or plugin?

May Gibson burn!

Zed
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
robcollins

Post by robcollins »

As much as I love Digital Performer , I found it so quick to write things in Studio Vision Pro . I know DP has chunks, but SVP with its pattern based aproach meant composing standard verse , chorus , middle 8 sections and stringing them together was really quick - especially the way you could trigger sequences via a querty keyboard using the seqence queue function.

Once I started using DP i found myself copying and pasting sections to build up a song, which personally i find slower - Still, I probably have not learnt everything I can do with DP's chunks funtion.
MOTU DP 9.12 / M5 v3 / 112D / 16A / AVB Switch / MIDI Express XT USB