Apple built-in soundbank

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
chamelion
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Apple built-in soundbank

Post by chamelion »

Hi gang,

I've discovered yet another gaping hole in my knowledge base - general MIDI. I started off knowing basically nothing about GM, and after downloading a General MIDI Instrument Numbers pdf from Apple, and messing around with the Apple DSLMusicDevice (which I hoped would hook me up with Apple's internal soundbank), I know even less than when I began.

Aaaaaaaaargh!!

Could some kind soul please tell me if it's possible to get into Apple's internal soundbank (which I imagine would be set up as general MIDI), and if so, how do I hook into it and program an arrangement from within DP?

My only experience with 1-127 in MIDI is restricted to increments of volume etc., and the layout of notes on a keyboard. I haven't a clue how the general MIDI instrument numbers 1-127 work, and how to set it up in DP.

In case you're wondering why on earth I'd want to use the internal soundbank, I don't have an external general MIDI device, and I need to create, from scratch, general MIDI files for a bunch of jingles to be reborn as ringtones. I imagine that being reduced to a ringtone would be an audio track's equivalent of purgatory. :evil:

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Purgatory? More like Hell. Try this:

http://www.MIDI.org/about-MIDI/gm/gminfo.shtml

To the best of my knowledge, the latest Quicktime player supports GM2 standards, which include reverb sends and other basic plug-ins.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

cuttime wrote:To the best of my knowledge, the latest Quicktime player supports GM2 standards, which include reverb sends and other basic plug-ins.
Thanks for the GM info. I seem to have the latest version of Quicktime Player (7.1.2), but the only MIDI sound I can get out of the bloody thing is a piano. I know life wasn't meant to be easy, but I'm danged if I can figure out how to get acess to the other sounds that I know are in there. What's the trick, guys?

I'm using a 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, DP4.61, and Tiger.

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Take a look at this:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9874

I have to be up early tomorrow so can't post more, but there's some useful info in there!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

Thanks James. I just tried to get my head around that lot and my head exploded.

I think a good night's sleep and a caffeine fix is required.

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
aplanchard

Post by aplanchard »

Chameion,

I am not in front of my music computer now and it has been awhile since I have set it up but from what I recall:

1. Activate DLS device in your Mac Audio-MIDI setup, so it shows up in DP
2. Select the device from your Add - Instrument Track list (Project Menu)
3. Treat it like any VI\

If memory serves me, the GM banks will appear in the Default Patch area of your Tracks window, where you can select the appropriate sound.
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

once you have a MIDI track in DP which outputs to your DLS device, you can change the patch it outputs to in the tracks overview window - thus bringing up a new sound.

hth
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

[url=file:///Applications/MOTU%20DP5%20Folder/Digital%20Performer%205.1.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DP%20Help/tracks_window.html]this link will only work if you have DP 5.1 in the default location in the Applications folder[/url]

look for "patch"

(ctrl/right click the above link and open in new window...)
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

When saving to text edit what did you save your file as? Does this file replace the Default Names.midnam in the library/audio/MIDI devices/MOTU?
I can't get it to work.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

I went through the various banks and all banks save 10 Drums give me piano. any ideas?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Try Auto-Channelize on MIDI patch thru preferences (I think, not at DP right now). I never could get the patch names to display, always had to cross reference the generic patch names to a GM list.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Auto-Channelize on MIDI patch thru preferences is selected. Thanks though.
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

Thanks everyone for your interest and your input. It's very comforting to be part of a community of people who are happy to give selflessly of their time and experience.

If anyone else is trying to crack the same problem, you can download the Default Sounds file here (thanks greenie :)): http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wammer/Default_Names

Download the .midnam file, and then navigate to: yourharddrive/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU. In that folder, find Default Names.midnam and trash it. Take the new Default Names.midnam, and drag it to that folder. Now when you open DP, your DLS Instrument should show General MIDI patch names in the Default Patch column.

Worked for me!

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Thanks! I did not know what or where a Default patch list is. That was the missing link. Works great now.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

OK, I think I've tried everything here but I cant get this thing up and running. It worked on my old computer and this thread reminded me how useful it was from time to time; I'd like to get it back.

I can add it as an Instrument, route MIDI to it, but the only thing available under "Sound Bank" (in the DLS's window) is "QuickTime Music Synthesizer", which is a piano sound. I've done the "Default Names.midnam" replacement thing to no avail.

Any help out there?

Gavin