DP 5.1 UB Reports

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 5.1 UB Reports

Post by Frodo »

Okay. There were a lot of issues people reported with DP 5.0 and 5.01.

We've already heard that manual punch out doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

I've already read one report of lower CPU hits.

There are a few reports of M5 and MSI acting strangely, but it seems that a restart with the latest version does the trick, as it does with all plugins.

Of the other problems from 5.01 and earlier, these are among the most common:

1. Loading in older projects
2. BTD problems
3. Edge Edit Crashes
4. Soundbite bloat
5. Soundbite merge problems
6. Crashing when saving
7. Disappearing MIDI and TO data
8. QS print glitches
9. Wiper freeze when changing start points
10. Meter Bridge summing issues
11. Unusual CPU spikes

If you have had these problems with versions of DP earlier than 5.1 and now have 5.1 installed, please let us know if these problems (and others!) have either been solved or if they persist.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

To the list of old bugs to check for improvement, don't forget to add the random appearance/disappearance of audio from other tracks during playback. Muted tracks suddenly appear for a few beats, then go away, and tracks that should be playing will mysteriously be absent for a bar or two. I've experienced these problems in DP 5.01. It will be interesting to see if they're gone in 5.1.

Shooshie

(PS: welcome back, Frodo... I was gone, too, so I hardly realized you were gone!)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Hey Shooshie-- thanks. Welcome back to you, too!!

I think the issue you mentioned might fall under category 7 above, unless there was some copy cat bug... I guess this would be quite specifically audio, but that could fall under the TO data category.

But it would be nice to have follow-up from the past 12 weeks of 5.0 - 5.01 nightmares reported. It just makes one wonder if some of the issues folks were having ever got resolved.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, I thought about it being under #7, but it seems to go farther than that, including audio data, and possibly automation data, which sometimes just seems to make a track louder or softer rather than actually disappearing. I was thinking #7 was more the visual MIDI stuff disappearing. I don't remember for sure what all has been reported at this point. I'm sure we'll be hearing about it if it's still there. ;)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

1. Loading up older projects
2. BTD problems
3. Edge Edit Crashes
4. Soundbite bloat
5. Soundbite merge problems
6. Crashing when saving
7. Disappearing MIDI and TO data
8. QS print glitches
9. Wiper freeze when changing start points
10. Meter Bridge summing issues
11. Unusual CPU spikes
12. Automation glitches (tracks getting louder/softer)
13. Audio data disappearing
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Trimming the beginning of one of a series of selected soundbites while in zoom would shrink those outside the zoom window. That has been corrected in 5.1
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Will be trying as SOON as I get a chance.
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
Jim

Post by Jim »

My initial report:

BTD where Aux tracks disappeared sounds like it's been fixed. I just did one BTD, and it worked correctly for me.

It also appears that the bug I got twiddling with effects windows, where after a few tweaks, the param changes stopped taking effect until the window was closed and re-opened has been fixed.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

The 'behaviour' (I'll refrain from calling it a bug, but it's certainly annoying) where making a new selection in the tracks window during playback causes audio track playback to drop out for a couple of seconds seems to be still there in 5.1.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
bone.china
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bone.china »

Mr_Clifford wrote:The 'behaviour' (I'll refrain from calling it a bug, but it's certainly annoying) where making a new selection in the tracks window during playback causes audio track playback to drop out for a couple of seconds seems to be still there in 5.1.
Yep, the problem you speak of has happened for me as well.
Imagination is the source of creativity.
bone.china

Post by bone.china »

Stuck MIDI notes are still there and command+1 still doesn't work to get them unstuck.

All VIs should have a Panic! button like NI Absynth 3 does. Absynth's Panic! button always works to kill stuck MIDI notes. I don't know if DP's ever worked -- I can't remember the last time it worked. When will MOTU ever fix that? I mean, dammit to hell, Apple or MOTU really need to clean this problem up once and for all. It serves to waste so much time and it ALWAYS kills the mood. F$&*! :evil:
Imagination is the source of creativity.
WSVP

Post by WSVP »

Stuck MIDI notes are still there and command+1 still doesn't work to get them unstuck.

All VIs should have a Panic! button like NI Absynth 3 does. Absynth's Panic! button always works to kill stuck MIDI notes. I don't know if DP's ever worked -- I can't remember the last time it worked. When will MOTU ever fix that? I mean, dammit to hell, Apple or MOTU really need to clean this problem up once and for all. It serves to waste so much time and it ALWAYS kills the mood. F$&*!
I have a theory as to why "all notes off" may fail in a lot of situations. Keep in mind this is only a theory!

I assume that when DP sends an all notes of it is transmitting a note of message on all 128 key values, on all channels at the same time. The problem may be that this overloads the available polyphony in either a hardware or software instrument, thus the instrument may run out of polyphony before it can execute the "note off" for the offending note or notes.

I believe the solution would be for MOTU to stagger the note off messages with enough gap to not overload the instrument polyphony or CPU. This would cause a slight delay in the completion of the process but may solve the issue...

Just a theory.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

disappearing notes in the drum editor is one bug that's still alive and well.
dp 5.1 intel.
it even removes notes that existed prior to using the drum editor.
had to go back to piano roll and correct the carnage...

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

SO, why doesen't MOTU list these fixes in the installer read me's?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
pcm

Post by pcm »

Timeline wrote:SO, why doesen't MOTU list these fixes in the installer read me's?
Bugs that were never admitted to don't have to be listed as "fixed".