Best reverb plugin for DP 5?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
larryf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best reverb plugin for DP 5?

Post by larryf »

Not thrilled with DP5's reverb plug-ins, and looking for some other solution. Any thoughts on reverb plug-ins with the best price-performance?
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Pricey, but the best:

Audio Ease Altiverb
UAD-1 Plate 140

Good, less expensive options:

Wave Arts MasterVerb
Spin Audio RoomVerb

Some people like the built-in Apple reverb. Others like Smartelectronix Ambience. All I use anymore are Altverb and Plate 140. Covers all my needs.
mikebeckmotu

Post by mikebeckmotu »

I think there are a number of them to consider - but it depends partly on your system specs as well as the sound you are after and the price range. I've done some looking into this recently

I just bought Classik Studio Reverb (CSR). One of the reasons I got it is because I use DP with my Powerbook G4, and the convolution reverbs really tax the CPU. CSR is much lighter. Plus, the sound of CSR is fantastic, and many magazine reviews seem to consistently give it high marks.

Look at Wizoo's Wizooverb W2. AudioMidi is selling it for a great discount right now ($99). I tried the demo, and I like how you can use convolution or not as well as blend between the two. The GUI makes it very easy to work with. Sounds very good.

I have WaveArts MasterVerb. I like it for what it does, but I don't consider it to cover all the bases. Demo is available for download that works for 30 days.

ArtsAcoustic is very nice as well, and is relatively light on the CPU. THey also have a demo available.

Another demo I tried was the BlueVerb from Nomad Factory. It's modeled on digital reverbs from the 1980s and I liked it. It's definitely got a color to the sound, and it's a matter of tastes whether you would find it useful.

I've noticed that many on this forum like Altiverb. I wish I could afford it right now (both the $$ and the CPU) but I will have to put it off for awhile.

Hope some of this helps.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Pretty hard to beat Wizooverb W2 for 99 bucks. That's an incredible deal.
I've been using Wizooverb W@ for months and love it.
willtompkins

Post by willtompkins »

Thanks for the info Mike. I just picked up WizooVerb after reading your post. That's a steal for $99.

-Will
mikebeckmotu

Post by mikebeckmotu »

You're welcome! I hope you will report back here with your thoughts about it after using it. I don't see a lot of discussion about this reverb, which is a crime.
Frustrating, but I found out about the $99 deal after I bought and registered CSR. Still might get it, though.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
barnee

Post by barnee »

I really wish Lexicon would release a plug-in of their PCM91, PCM81.
But as for being a PB user too, my CPU might be in the red.

I have also thought of using a hardware reverb such as a Lexicon PCM.
Some costs around $1500 though.

I'd rather wait a couple of months...
The current mode for manufacturer is to create new tool such as external FireWire device (Focusrite/SSL...)
All these gears look to be a good value 'cause of their DSP.
The CPU of your PB would be more concentrated to the soundfiles read/write and some other few audio treatments, while external DSP works on audio for reverb, delay, compressor, EQ...

So, why not a Lexicon reverb like this?
I'm pretty sure they are currently working hard on it...

Imagine the thing?
No need to buy the latest laptops to get few more CPU, just buy external device that will help your CPU.

:P
Motu Traveler (x2), PowerBook G4 15" 1,5Ghz 1,5Go RAM, 80Go internal drive, 200Go external drive, Digital Performer 5.01, ADA8000 (+DAT machines, various preamps and compressors, various microphones, etc...)
mikebeckmotu

Post by mikebeckmotu »

Good point about using external hardware.
I probably would have gone that route, except I have to remain mobile for recording - at least for now. I already have too much stuff to move around, unfortunately.
Shooshie

Re: Best reverb plugin for DP 5?

Post by Shooshie »

larryf wrote:Not thrilled with DP5's reverb plug-ins, and looking for some other solution. Any thoughts on reverb plug-ins with the best price-performance?
I don't like words like "best," because everyone's different, but I can't imagine anything better than Altiverb. Altiverb even samples lots of hardware and gear, giving us the ability to use terribly expensive hardware reverbs from the past for relatively nothing in price--once you've bought the Altiverb plugin, all the samples are pretty much free. I haven't found any samples you have to pay extra for. Just download those great samples from the site if they don't come on the original disks.

Then you get the great halls of the world. There aren't that many American halls sampled--probably because of digital rights issues (just a guess), or maybe because the company is Dutch, but there are a few good ones from the US. You can also use the Sydney Opera Hall--which is fantastic and offers several vantage points from which to hear reverb--or the Berlin Philharmonic Hall, or Philips, or Amsterdam Concertgebow, and many others. Some are more historically interesting than sonically interesting, but all will pique your interest in some way.

Oh, then there are the samples which place your track at some location in sonicspace--such as the locations for all the instruments on an orchestral stage, or one which places the sound in various rooms of a two-story house, with doors open or shut. Perfect for post engineering and mastering of film.

For a very low price, you get billions of dollars worth of halls and gear at your disposal. Challenge anyone to tell a well-done Altiverb track from the real thing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
beppe

Post by beppe »

I have the same point of view of Shoosie: Altiverb.
barnee

Post by barnee »

mikebeckmotu wrote:Good point about using external hardware.
I probably would have gone that route, except I have to remain mobile for recording - at least for now. I already have too much stuff to move around, unfortunately.
Mobile for recording or mobile for doing production(mixing)?

I plan to be mobile too.
When I will have to track, I will just move with soundcards, preamps and mics...and maybe one or two compressors/limiters...
But I dont need my reverb 'outside'.

Do you really need your reverb when out?
Motu Traveler (x2), PowerBook G4 15" 1,5Ghz 1,5Go RAM, 80Go internal drive, 200Go external drive, Digital Performer 5.01, ADA8000 (+DAT machines, various preamps and compressors, various microphones, etc...)
barnee

Post by barnee »

beppe wrote:I have the same point of view of Shoosie: Altiverb.
Is it CPU hungry???
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

WOW! Wizooverb only $99! I listened to the demos on their website - it sounds awesome, especially for the price. Why is this verb not discussed very much around here? To me, it sounds tons better than WaveArts MasterVerb.
barnee

Post by barnee »

The Altiverb looks pretty amazing...

But we have to buy an Apple OctoCore G8 processor to make this working easy.

Guess what?
An altiverb in a 1U external rack with his own CPU, and I sign for it right now.
bralston

Post by bralston »

barnee wrote:The Altiverb looks pretty amazing...

But we have to buy an Apple OctoCore G8 processor to make this working easy.

Guess what?
An altiverb in a 1U external rack with his own CPU, and I sign for it right now.
Actually Altiverb 5 is pretty easy on the CPU compared to what it use to be. Any Dual G5 machine will run multiple instances of the plugin without breaking a sweat. And some of the Dual G5 machines can be had very cheaply...if people don't have them already.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13