DP10 speculation?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
p.pan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP10 speculation?

Post by p.pan »

A proper looper can communicate with a MIDI controler...

Because Polar.... :shake:
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Michael Canavan wrote: I'm not plagued by it like some are, but the CPU spikes, whatever is causing that is a real PITA. DP performs as good or better than most other DAWs in terms of actual CPU use, (the current version of DP9 beats the current version of Logic X in my set up for instance), but the occasional Kontakt or other VSTi etc that spikes the CPU is a real odd issue that would be great if it could be finally resolved.
This is my number one. Everything else in DP is smooth as silk for my needs, but the spiking/glitching in 9.5X as I use more robust VIs in Kontakt makes me want to scream. I don't get the glitches in 9.02 so that's where I prefer to live, but SO tired of having to reauthorize every time I reboot. FTLOG, please somebody figure this out!!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:We need a new section in the forum called: “tell me again (for the 100th time) what you thought was missing from DP and/or how your particular problem needs to be addressed before any other issues.” Maybe a sticky at the top with a link to buy Pro Tools... :rofl: :unicorn:
You hit the nail on the head.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:We need a new section in the forum called: “tell me again (for the 100th time) what you thought was missing from DP and/or how your particular problem needs to be addressed before any other issues.” Maybe a sticky at the top with a link to buy Pro Tools... :rofl: :unicorn:
That is is for me too.

I have a super-fast Mac Pro, tons of RAM, SSD thunderbolt raid-arrays, but the spiking with VE Pro and Kontakt drive me nuts.

The last version before the whole auto-freeze-VI's or whatever it is currently called didn't have these problems, but I am addicted to some of the new DP features and the MAS version of the VE Pro plugin so it would be hard to go back.

MOTU PLEASE fix this stuff and get rid of the bloat...make DP lean and mean again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
Let me shed some real world data on this apparently logical thread. For unfortunately, it’s concept is a bit off from the reality I have seen and experienced. it does not match the real world, even though it sounds like a funny, good idea initially. :dance:

Last yr, NAMM show, right after one of the MOTU presentations. I go up on the stand, and ask about MY automation ramping issue. The presenter, a very well known, good MOTU guy, had never seen it nor heard of it before. I then had him do a few snap shots on a new file , right there on the stage, (without the projector being on, or audience being there), to SHOW him the problem. He was pretty amazed to have never seen it nor heard of it before. This after 10 years of me complaining about it at different times here. Thus, I do not think MOTU is always aware of all issues. Perhaps it’s do to staff turnover, where things get “forgotten” when newer agendas come into play? But that is Real world data for you all. My issue wasn’t known about. Maybe yours is not known about either? Other than that, I did think the post was a good laugh. :love:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

So, more rampant speculation. :)

I think one area where MOTU could, should take DP is into a more integrated approach for the communities that use them.

For instance, film score and classical people in general or really anyone that uses Kontact libraries with keyswitches. Logic and others have gotten into some convoluted articulation maps that seemingly hide keyswitches from the MIDI piano roll, that's cool, but I think you're still having to create these maps, and it doesn't really seem to allow for just playing in the keyswitches from what I can tell. Something in DP like a split keyboard, because no one has keyswitches in the same octave it seems, that had the ability to always for instance keep the keyswitches to the first 12+ keys with maybe articulation names in the piano roll for when you get lost etc. This is sort of true of the Drum editor that you can name a note, and DP has needed split keyboards and note limiting etc. since forever. You theoretically could make these selectable presets in MIDI tracks, so you could call them up for various libraries etc. (the keyswitches themselves could be excluded from importing formats for sheet music etc.)
^^^ Along with that could come the MPE support.

In general that's a big wish, MIDI rules in DP besides a few longstanding What the heck? things, TDH's confirmed snapshot automation woes, the stupid little v's in the CC editing windows, no snap to grid in the MIDI editor.

Clean up the UX for modern LED screens, give us little fixes that make life easy like DP7 provided and I'm more than satisfied. I don't need new embedded instruments or FX, I have a VST addiction and really just need to learn what I have now thanks.

Oh, and for MLC :wink: , if these things don't happen, then DP is crippled I tell you!
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Michael Canavan wrote:
Oh, and for MLC :wink: , if these things don't happen, then DP is crippled I tell you!
I feel so validated! :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Michael Canavan wrote:So, more rampant speculation. :)

I think one area where MOTU could, should take DP is into a more integrated approach for the communities that use them.

For instance, film score and classical people in general or really anyone that uses Kontact libraries with keyswitches. Logic and others have gotten into some convoluted articulation maps that seemingly hide keyswitches from the MIDI piano roll, that's cool, but I think you're still having to create these maps, and it doesn't really seem to allow for just playing in the keyswitches from what I can tell. Something in DP like a split keyboard, because no one has keyswitches in the same octave it seems, that had the ability to always for instance keep the keyswitches to the first 12+ keys with maybe articulation names in the piano roll for when you get lost etc. This is sort of true of the Drum editor that you can name a note, and DP has needed split keyboards and note limiting etc. since forever. You theoretically could make these selectable presets in MIDI tracks, so you could call them up for various libraries etc. (the keyswitches themselves could be excluded from importing formats for sheet music etc.)
^^^ Along with that could come the MPE support.

In general that's a big wish, MIDI rules in DP besides a few longstanding What the heck? things, TDH's confirmed snapshot automation woes, the stupid little v's in the CC editing windows, no snap to grid in the MIDI editor.

Clean up the UX for modern LED screens, give us little fixes that make life easy like DP7 provided and I'm more than satisfied. I don't need new embedded instruments or FX, I have a VST addiction and really just need to learn what I have now thanks.

Its funny how to all of us, we ask for these things thinking it’s so “logical”, so “just do it MOTU”.
Yet...they don’t.
It must be harder than we think, and, though I am not a programmer, I have a feeling that "backwards compatibility" may have something to do with it? I wonder if, there were no prior users, and DP could just have all of its years of development as a starting point, if they then could make these fixes much easier? If they didn’t have to worry about breaking 25 yrs of program? Hmmm.

Maybe, fixing bugs is much like solving a rubiks cube? Fix one thing, break another. Fix automation ramping, break pan control..... Fix this, break that...
If it isn’t that, then I can think of only few other possible reasons why they don’t fix these things.
*** Its too hard and they cant figure it out.
or*******Takes too long for profit margins.
So-A) Rubiks cube- fix one thing, breaks another or breaks prior versions. B) They cant figure it out, too hard. C) No money honey, profits too low. and, drum roll.......THE last possibility , D) They don’t know about it?
I have argued on both sides of that one, thinking they “must know”, then finding out they “don’t know”.....So..... after all of this, I’m as confused as when I started. :deadhorse: :sorry:
With So many long term issues, can it be that its impossible to fix them? lol

Can small fonts be THAT hard to fix? Some things don’t make sense do they?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toodamnhip wrote:Its funny how to all of us, we ask for these things thinking it’s so “logical”, so “just do it MOTU”.
Yet...they don’t.
It must be harder than we think, and, though I am not a programmer, I have a feeling that "backwards compatibility" may have something to do with it? I wonder if, there were no prior users, and DP could just have all of its years of development as a starting point, if they then could make these fixes much easier? If they didn’t have to worry about breaking 25 yrs of program? Hmmm.

Maybe, fixing bugs is much like solving a rubiks cube? Fix one thing, break another. Fix automation ramping, break pan control..... Fix this, break that...
If it isn’t that, then I can think of only few other possible reasons why they don’t fix these things.
*** Its too hard and they cant figure it out.
or*******Takes too long for profit margins.
So-A) Rubiks cube- fix one thing, breaks another or breaks prior versions. B) They cant figure it out, too hard. C) No money honey, profits too low. and, drum roll.......THE last possibility , D) They don’t know about it?
I have argued on both sides of that one, thinking they “must know”, then finding out they “don’t know”.....So..... after all of this, I’m as confused as when I started. :deadhorse: :sorry:
With So many long term issues, can it be that its impossible to fix them? lol

Can small fonts be THAT hard to fix? Some things don’t make sense do they?
I think you nailed it, once a program is old and been around forever it becomes a mess to try to implement new features. I don't think this takes any specified amount of time, but looking at DP at 297.9mb, or freaking Live at 2.83 GB (Live is mainly due to sampler instruments and audio clips), these programs have lots of room for an error to pop up every time you change the code.

It's why I've given up on Maschine getting multiple time signatures in it's sequencer, NI built it from the ground up without that ability, so it's going to be really difficult for them to implement it, and 99% of their audience for Maschine is four on the floor dance music. It's just too much work for too little reward for them.

With DP's GUI I can see it being daunting. I use one of those skinnable DAWs sometimes, and people have completely redesigned the look, but it's like there's always some area that gets slightly hosed. I mean it seams like a simple thing but a few more pixels here and there for larger fonts and something else gets compromised.

Upgrades are tricky in general, it takes no businessman or programmer to realize it's a balancing act between adding new features and tweaking things and fixing bugs for existing users. New features are what's going to attract new customers, bug fixes and minor tweaks for existing power users aren't going to move new purchases. On that line we're IMO more likely to see a redesigned GUI than we are to see MIDI improvements. Barring maybe something to compete with Logics articulation maps etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

well, at least we now know that they've got a booth @ NAMM! :dance: hopefully, a good sign?
https://namm19.mapyourshow.com/7_0/floo ... ooth~15908
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dzineboy wrote:
williemyers wrote:Am I the only one who's considered that there may be no DP 10 @ NAMM, because.....there may be no DP10?

I seriously doubt MOTU is ready to shelve Digital Performer. However (and I’m sure they are aware), they need to add support for MPE, articulation/expression maps, VST 3, MusicXML and VCA faders. If they added those features, DP would become the benchmark DAW for film and media composers and I could stop worrying if I should switch to the ugliest UI out there — Cubase :)
Yeah... I seriously doubt that, too! If you're not the only one, Willie, you're part of a very small minority.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

"MOTU must face!"

(Somebody had to say it!) :rofl:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

James Steele wrote:...If you're not the only one, Willie, you're part of a very small minority.
ah, well...I can live with that.

look, don't get me wrong. I, like most of you, have got thousands of dollars and tens of thousands of hours invested in my DP-based studio. I certainly don't want to see DP go away - - just the opposite.

It's just that, when there are long stretches of what seems like minimal DP development, I think back - wayyy back - to Mosaic, and how it died a slow death of attrition.

Anyway, as I said in a prev. post, MOTU's got a booth, so we'll all look forward to whatever they're going to show!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't know how I know... but I know. There's nothing to worry about. :)

corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

By listing all the suggested ideas and various assumptions, it would be logical to see an update of Digital Performer 9 ...

Will patience and wisdom be the virtues of the studio and home studio ? :wink:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _