DP 9.1 is here

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 is here

Post by toodamnhip »

AU
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

toodamnhip wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:Can someone please load a preset from a waves plug-in, take a snapshot, and see if the preset holds?
All good here. Loaded H Delay - at each bar loaded a new preset and took a snapshot.

Then played backed and all the parameters changed accordingly at the snap shot points

Hope this helps

Pardon me if I'm stating the obvious, but did you have the 'All Data Types in the effects window' option selected in the Automation Snapshot window, I only mention this cos I often forget.
1) yes, I did select "all datatypes" when doing snapshots. 2) if you wouldn't mind, can you try copying pasting on the fly, in other words, at bar 10 or whatever, copy plug in on the fly, and somewhere later, paste in and see if dp registers the new paste. Yother test would be to adjust all parameters, and then instead of hitting snapshot at that point, hit copy, then paste in, and then see if the data sticks
Will check first thing tomorrow. It's 1.30am here in the uk. Gonna get some zzzzzzs
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

OOOOOPS! I meant...

And then there's this...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62116
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waxman

Post by waxman »

I had a great session all day on 9.1. AMAZING. 128 setting all day and it felt like 1024 operating wise but there was no latency. Yet the drummer was in there telling me he had never felt the TD 30 Roland set "FEEL" to great. NOT ONE CRASH. I used to get a crash or two everytime I tracked at 128. I just had to pray I would get through. I would turn off everyplug or just do a stereo mix with no drums and even then it was trouble. Today on a 50 plus track song loaded with plugs the performance meter never broke a sweat. THIS IS A GAME CHANGER...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
djwizprod

Post by djwizprod »

waxman wrote:I had a great session all day on 9.1. AMAZING. 128 setting all day and it felt like 1024 operating wise but there was no latency. Yet the drummer was in there telling me he had never felt the TD 30 Roland set "FEEL" to great. NOT ONE CRASH. I used to get a crash or two everytime I tracked at 128. I just had to pray I would get through. I would turn off everyplug or just do a stereo mix with no drums and even then it was trouble. Today on a 50 plus track song loaded with plugs the performance meter never broke a sweat. THIS IS A GAME CHANGER...
AGREE!!!
MacPro8core28GB~OS108.5~DP9.1
PT10~MACH5~Symphonic~Reason~Symphobia~NIKOMPLETE~StormDrum2+3~EWSilver
MiniCore2duo2GB~VirtualVTR~TASCAMDM4800surround~2408MkIII~WAVESBroadcast/Surround360/NPP/VoxRider/GEQ/L316~UAD2DuoPCIe+Satellite~1176/LA2A/PulteqPro/Fairchild/SSLBuss/Lexicon224/Dreamverb
IzotopeRX5/Ozone7/StutterEdit
UA6176~U87~TLM103~AKG414~MKH416~MKH50~DPA4011Apair/COS11D~QuickTime7Pro/FinalCutProX/MackieHR824/624/HRS120~TelosZephyrXstreamISDN~SourceConnectPro
http://www.ozonesound.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Robert Randolph wrote: Every DAW was at 44.1khz.

I should add that I was extremely careful and repeated this test 3 times. That includes putting away everything, resetting the scope, turning off the interface, taking stuff back out, hooking it back up and repeating the test with a fresh project in each DAW.

The numbers were dead on consistent.
Thank you Robert. Appreciate the test and reporting.
waxman

Post by waxman »

What is it at 128? Doubled 64>
Robert Randolph wrote:So I tried a simple loopback test using a 64-sample buffer and 44.1khz sample rate.

Then I captured the signal on my DSO and measured the timing difference to ~0.01ms
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote:I had a great session all day on 9.1. AMAZING. 128 setting all day and it felt like 1024 operating wise but there was no latency. Yet the drummer was in there telling me he had never felt the TD 30 Roland set "FEEL" to great. NOT ONE CRASH. I used to get a crash or two everytime I tracked at 128. I just had to pray I would get through. I would turn off everyplug or just do a stereo mix with no drums and even then it was trouble. Today on a 50 plus track song loaded with plugs the performance meter never broke a sweat. THIS IS A GAME CHANGER...
It is a busy day for me learning the Raven. I am kind of putting off the DP 9 update. Anything improved about Raven functionality in 9.1?
If 9.1 fixes snap shot automation, I will have to get to it soon. That is my biggest issue with the recent DP versions.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
waxman

Post by waxman »

Raven worked great with DP 9.1 all day.

The Slate Raven is in essence a low cost MULTI touch screen DAW mix surface with a graphic touch button quick key/automator program. It has quick keys to access VI's and Plugins. It breaks the dependency of solely relying on the mouse and qwerty keyboard to interface with a DAW. Ergonomically it is superior to a hardware controller like the Mackie MCU Pro. The big mixer uses scribble strip pics to make mixing recognition of tracks much easier. Exploit it for these features.
waxman
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

In messing with Raven, I wanted to add some EQ to something. Thought of the prospect of snap shot automation work arounds I do and thought, hell with it, Im taking the plunge to see what 9.1 brings me... :woohoo: Stay tuned
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Sean Kenny wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:Can someone please load a preset from a waves plug-in, take a snapshot, and see if the preset holds?
All good here. Loaded H Delay - at each bar loaded a new preset and took a snapshot.

Then played backed and all the parameters changed accordingly at the snap shot points

Hope this helps

Pardon me if I'm stating the obvious, but did you have the 'All Data Types in the effects window' option selected in the Automation Snapshot window, I only mention this cos I often forget.
Snap shot automation not fixed on my system
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

toodamnhip wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:

Hope this helps

1) yes, I did select "all datatypes" when doing snapshots. 2) if you wouldn't mind, can you try copying pasting on the fly, in other words, at bar 10 or whatever, copy plug in on the fly, and somewhere later, paste in and see if dp registers the new paste. Yother test would be to adjust all parameters, and then instead of hitting snapshot at that point, hit copy, then paste in, and then see if the data sticks
Tried all of the above, played with it very which way I could think of (copying and pasting; snapshots, continuous adjustments etc) and it was fine at this end. I used H Reverb this time as it's more graphic with it's display. Fine at this end
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Sean Kenny wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:
Tried all of the above, played with it very which way I could think of (copying and pasting; snapshots, continuous adjustments etc) and it was fine at this end. I used H Reverb this time as it's more graphic with it's display. Fine at this end
maybe I'll try a fresh file. This was a long term verified bug so why it is not fixed on my system and is fixed on yours is a mystery
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

One thing worth perhaps trying is trashing the preferences and creating them anew?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

This is probably a dumb question, but please bear with me.....

Where is the option to run all current and future plug-ins in real-time instead of pre-gen?

I haven't messed with this since it was introduced years ago, but I thought it was in the audio-plug-ins pane in preferences?

Or is it somewhere else?

I mean to just set this globally, not with each in every plug-in in it's own mini-menu.

I like running everything in real-time, not pre-gen.

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.