What's the word on Ventura and DP and common plug ins?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What's the word on Ventura and DP and common plug ins?

Post by James Steele »

primeevolutionary wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:51 pm There are still a lot of plugins that I use that are not yet ready for Ventura.
Hmmm... which ones? I'm doing pretty well here on Ventura myself.
I had a question regarding silicon Macs: As these plugin companies release their Ventura plugins, do I still have to worry about whether a plugin will work on a silicon Mac?
I don't understand exactly. Ventura plugins work on Apple Silicon Macs. They're both meant for AS Macs. Most of the plugins I had that were working on Monterey kept working when I went to Ventura, even though some of them weren't officially supported. That's just a CYA disclaimer for developers as sometimes there are incompatibilities that can sneak in with a new OS. But once they fix those compatibilities they should be backward compatible with earlier versions of MacOS.
Or, will every future release be a potential additional waiting period for silicon Mac compatibility until Intel Macs are no longer OS supported?
If you're using DP, your primary plugin format is likely Audio Units. AFAIK, most Audio Units are Apple Silicon native now. The big hold out has been native AAX plugins for Pro Tools since Avid was slow to release an Apple Silicon native version of Pro Tools. Also when I mention a plugin is AS native, they're actually UB2 (or Universal Binary 2) which contain Apple Silicon code and Intel 64-bit code. They will continue to work on Intel Macs.

If you don't have it already, I highly recommend getting an app called PlugInfo on the App Store.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pluginfo/ ... 2949?mt=12

It's very useful at keeping track of your plugs and will show you which contain Apple Silicon code and which do not. It shows all formats: AU, VST2, VST3 and AAX.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:13 pm
The manufacturers that I use that I haven't seen give the green light on Ventura are:
Arturia
Audio Ease
BFDDRUMS
EastWest
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

primeevolutionary wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:04 pm
James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:13 pm
The manufacturers that I use that I haven't seen give the green light on Ventura are:
Arturia
Audio Ease
BFDDRUMS
EastWest
Ahhh... thanks.

Let's see:

Arturia:
I don't have many of those, but the ones I do have seem to be working okay for me. Those are:
• Analog Lab V
• Chorus JUN-6
• Filter MINI
• Filter MS-20

Audio Ease:
Yep... they are lagging behind. That said, I'm able to run the AU of Altiverb 7 okay in DP 11.22 with the plug-in using Rosetta 2.

BFD Drums:
Yeah... this one is a problem. However, I don't remember who sent me the link, but it is possible to get a beta version. You may have to contact tech support. I have beta version 3.4.5.10 which is UB2 (contains Apple Silicon and Intel 64 code). However the AU just flat out won't work in DP, but I am able to use the VST3 with success. Why they are lagging on getting on official release out there is anyone's guess. I got BFD on one of those ridiculously cheap sales, betting on the idea that they will eventually get their act together.

East West:
I actually have nothing of theirs anymore, so can't comment on that.

All that said, there is a WHOLE LOT out there right now that is working on Ventura. It hasn't held me back any. Even my old Lexicon PCM Native Reverb bundle is working (the plug is using Rosetta even though DP runs native.)

What had held me back was the Core Audio bounce not working in DP 11.21.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Arturia:

https://support.arturia.com/hc/en-us/ar ... OS-Ventura
Dear users,

We are proud to announce that V Collection 9.2 is now compatible with macOS Ventura, after months of hard work.

Please keep in mind that our team is still working on the compatibility with macOS Ventura of our FX Collection.

Our utility software are expected to work properly under macOS Ventura. If you encounter any issues with one of them on M1 computers, we invite you to open this specific software in "Rosetta" mode to avoid any potential issues (e.g., with the MIDI Control Center).

Finally, we strongly recommend installing the latest macOS Ventura version to ensure a smooth experience.
primeevolutionary

There’s no date on that Arturia site. I just checked yesterday.
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
primeevolutionary

The four I mentioned are working on Monterey M1.

My main reason for asking the way I was asking is that, I had to switch to an M1 Mac last year (or was it the year before?) and I had to not only wait for the plugins to get to whatever OS I was on, but, also to be M1 compatible. My question was whether, in the future, I will also have to wait for OS and also M1 with each OS change, or, just OS compatibility?

I’m not really asking if now is fine to switch to Ventura.
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

primeevolutionary wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:30 pm The four I mentioned are working on Monterey M1.

My main reason for asking the way I was asking is that, I had to switch to an M1 Mac last year (or was it the year before?) and I had to not only wait for the plugins to get to whatever OS I was on, but, also to be M1 compatible. My question was whether, in the future, I will also have to wait for OS and also M1 with each OS change, or, just OS compatibility?

I’m not really asking if now is fine to switch to Ventura.
You have BFD working in Monterey? Are you launching DP in Rosetta to make that work? I vaguely recall that I couldn't get it to work any other way in Monterey. Had to request the beta to run DP native and then it worked in both Monterey and Ventura.

For the most part, anything that was working in Monterey continued to work for me in Ventura. Altiverb requires Rosetta, but works in Monterey and Ventura. What Arturia stuff I had was the same way. No knowledge of East/West like I said. If/when you decide to go to Ventura you'll probably be fine.

But you said you weren't asking that... so... I guess what I've seen is that as developers release plug-ins with Apple Silicon support, most of them seem to continue working with Apple OS updates. A very few might have needed tweaks going from Monterey to Ventura. I think as developers get the whole Apple Silicon thing down, it will stabilize and the AS native plug-ins shouldn't break frequently or need updates with each update of MacOS.

primeevolutionary

Thank you, James!
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:41 pm For peace of mind, I went ahead and revalidated all 22 failed Audio Unit plugins. These are the ones that still fail:

1. Hybrid_x64 (I think this is a Steinberg freebie?)
2. T-RackS CS -- gets a "registry error" -- I think IKM may have mothballed this variant?
3. XILS 4 FX -- just the effects version; no VI shows up -- I think it got replaced?
4. TimewaRP 2600 -- this has failed for years and is a dead product (unfortunately)
5. PSP 608 MultiDelay -- I should check for updates as this is an active product (I think)
6. Moog Animoog -- I'll check for updates
7. Moog Model D -- I'll check for updates
8. Moog Model 15 -- I'll check for updates
9. TutorialPlugin -- I haven't had a chance to check what this is and who the vendor is
10.Wallander NotePerformer -- I think this is a dead product (and defunct vendor?)
11. Vienna Ensemble Pro AU3 -- this has NEVER worked; I think it's still in beta?

The good news is that the other 11 now pass, and several of those are my most-used plug-ins.
1. Hybrid_x64 (I think this is a Steinberg freebie?) I think that came with Dorico — fails for me, too

2. T-Racks Custom Shop is replaced by T-RackS 5 CS

5. PSP 608 MultiDelay -- I should check for updates as this is an active product (I think). This is the one that puzzles me: It fails as an AU on my Intel and AS Macs with the updated AS drivers. I've written PSP support without a word back.The VST2 and VST3 versions pass on both Macs. The AU passes in Logic.

6. Moog Animoog -- I'll check for updates
7. Moog Model D -- I'll check for updates
8. Moog Model 15 -- I'll check for updates
All have had recent updates. The stand-alone versions work. As they are VIs, that's probably how one calls them nowadays; I've not checked.

10.Wallander NotePerformer -- I think this is a dead product (and defunct vendor?). As you probably realize by now, NotePerformer only works with Sibelius, Dorico and Finale — of course, it fails DP and Logic.

11. Vienna Ensemble Pro AU3 -- this has NEVER worked; I think it's still in beta? Does DP support AU3?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

Hi, A simple search for Noteperformer and the Wallender home page will show that the product is alive! In fact it has recent upgrades. It now works with a variety of sample libraries in addition to its own. I think it is great! Extremely easy to set up and sounds good out of the box.

(The Finale Default Library, and other Garritan libraries are awkward to use. And using your own sample libraries is a nightmare of configuration.)

You might have thought it was obsolete because it fails DP plugin check. It also fails Vienna Ensemble Pro. THt apparently, is by design. It is only intended for notation programs like Finale, Dorico and Sibelius. (I just learned this after trying to get it to work in DP!)