DP Control App?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Maxxy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control App?

Post by Maxxy »

smashprod wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:34 pm So Avid Control for iPad does work with DP11?
Hi smashprod

I tried tonight to get Avid Pro Control to work with DP without any hardware involved...I see your problem. Without a hardware unit being currently, or recently, turned on, I can't get the app to work right now.

I'm sorry I really can''t answer your question.... it seems that it may require a hardware unit to be seen as a pre-requisite for being able to use the app. ... a hardware dongle

I agree with you that it would be great if the app worked straight away with DP... we certainly need an iPad control app... there has been a long on-going push for a replacement of the original DP Control app

I'm happy to test any strategy if I can help....but tonight I've tried a number of start up orders etc etc... Without a hardware unit involved I can't get it working I'm afraid

) :
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Trying to be helpful here... but confused

The SKEY section of pages at top of app seems to work fine... also the smaller SoftKey pages at bottom of screen

It's just the transport section that isn't responding for me. However softkeys assigned to transport functions....play, stop, FFwd etc are all working fine if you care to set them up as keys....

Maybe just forget about the transport icons and work with programmable Soft Keys?

Whew
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

again a truly working solution for transport and everything on your numberpad command wise, is a bluetooth number pad. I found one for $7 at a used computer store here, going to get another copy of the stickies for DP and call it good enough, until MOTU release something.

https://www.4keyboard.com/motu-keyboard ... icker.html
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:04 pm I recently tried to open the Avid Control app and it was asking me to sign-in/create-an-account. Instant delete.
I don't know. Doesn't seem that bad. I ended up with one toe in the Avid ecosystem recently since I purchased a perpetual license for PT from a guy selling it on CL for half price since it was a gift. I wanted to have PT on my Mac just for being able to handle the details of converting projects back and forth from DP and PT should the need arise when collaborating with PT users.

That said, I'm thinking something like this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Stream-De ... ref=sr_1_2

Might be a better solution, but then again I don't need faders. That would do the job for transport control and other functions it seems.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stublito
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by stublito »

I have posted here before on this subject.

1. I am now recommending a first Gen iPad mini, I just bought (another) one for just $40 - they are pretty well obsolete for general consumer use now. They max out at iOS 9, which is still appropriate for DP control. The battery life on all of mine is good enough to last 4 hours at a gig on the used ones I have purchased. Minis were an odd duck, and prolly less intensively used than a regular sized iPad.

2. Actually getting the app may be an issue tho. When you backup/restore iOS devices (IE clone one device with another's backup) you do not actually restore the app itself, iTunes will helpfully download the latest version form the APP store. However, I'm pretty certain it is gone forever from the App store, so it will not install on the cloned device.

3. If you have a device with DP control already on it, back it up in iTunes and then watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP5kXX7AIu4 PS I am not acting as an agent for the software (you can copy the app in demo mode.) If you do need it, a previous poster has offered to share.

4. I'm sticking with 10.14, it still works, and have no need to upgrade for live performance. Since it's OSC based, it should work on later OS but again IDK.

Stublito