DP Control App?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control App?

Post by dix »

jloeb wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 am
dix wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:08 pmThe MOTU website says a Big Sur compatibility is in the works (and presumably Monterey after that). DP11 is also coming. M1 compatibility too, as confirmed in MOTU's twice weekly webinars.
Good to know; I was not aware of the webinars either.
At this point the fact that the webinars are still going is the only real indicator I have that DP is moving forward. If not for the hints gleaned from those I'd be a little worried. ...and to your earlier point wondering if MOTU is signaling DP's end, if so I doubt they're doing it on purpose.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MOTU have always been almost more tight lipped than Apple in terms of secrecy about upgrades to DP. It's just not a logical thought process to think that it means anything in terms of DPs longevity.

Plus as mentioned there have been hints that DP is being tested with new features upcoming. This has been done as carefully as possible in order to honor that secrecy, but when someone who should know says something like "I wish I could tell you all about new features in DP that are right on the horizon" you can get the idea it's being actively developed and will be out soon. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Its no secret that It would be great if DP was tested for old features to be working or fixed like the control app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

How many years have we expressed on this very forum how much we want DP Control to be updated?

I don't think it's happening.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
smashprod

Post by smashprod »

I would love a DP Control update too-- love using Avid Control with PT, and it's just a drag to the point that I never use DP except for my scoring work. Can anybody suggest a 3rd party iPhone app (Mackie emulator) that works well with DP?
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

smashprod wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:01 am I would love a DP Control update too-- love using Avid Control with PT, and it's just a drag to the point that I never use DP except for my scoring work. Can anybody suggest a 3rd party iPhone app (Mackie emulator) that works well with DP?
I can't think of one, and I've tried several. Mackie Control is not fully implemented on DP, never has been. Even my SSL console/controller is practically useless with DP, other than as a transport.

This is one of the two reasons I have switched to Pro Tools, as least for now, as my main DAW. Tracks that have been hidden in DP are not hidden in MCU, like they are in every other DAW. Very confusing- what's on screen is not what is on the console. One has to pick through everything to get where he's going. Add to that, virtual instruments have to be a MIDI track and an instrument track, no way to have them consolidated, like other DAWs.. so you have two tracks for each sound, and you have to select the correct one (instrument track) for every fader you wish to move. If you accidentally move the MIDI track fader, it can really mess things up. You could put just the instrument tracks in a row and physically move the MIDI somewhere else, but then you wouldn't see if there is any data in the tracks..

If they can't implement long established protocols with real, professional gear, it doesn't matter to me what their iPad app does.. or does not do, for these many years.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'm curious what the new DP 11 integrations is with the Icon controllers?

Whether it's just another flavor of HUI/MCU, or more a Eucon kind of thing that is deeper?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm also curious whether DP 11's new control surface features means that the iOS app, Avid Control might work as a DP control substitute. As I recall it worked in the past.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I loaded the Avid Control app up the other day on my iPad, and quickly remembered why I didn't dig it.

It was the lack of physical pan-pots and faders.

I know that is kind of old-school, but at this point, at least for me, it really wasn't much of an improvement over just keyboard and mouse.

I do wish someone would make really tight, space-conscious 16-fader thing.

The Presonus Faderport 16 would have been the contender, but it has no individual pan-pots, so it is kind of useless for balancing a drum set or a horn or string section.

The discontinued Avid Artist S3 is huge, and it is really still expensive even second-hand.

Again, the Eucon is way so much hipper than the HUI/MCU thing.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Woohoo! :dance:
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Hi there

I saw in the New Features of DP11 that MOTU had 'substantially updated' support for EuCon... four understated lines of text that point us to both updated functionality in MacOS ....and also new Windows 10 integration

Brilliant! ...They have fixed an old gripe of mine .... Previously, tracks in the Artist Mix Board would always reflect/include all Tracks Overview channels in the order they appeared in the TO window...regardless of whether any tracks were hidden from view.

There was a workaround in the Mixing Board where you could de- 'Lock Layout to Track Order' in the MixBoard mini-menu .... but it always ended up a bit of a mess for me... The order of recorded or organised tracks in the TO window would remain in place while you re-ordered the Mixing Board track order in order to use the Artist Mix for mixing... for which the Artist Mix was, surely, primarily intended

Thank you MOTU for fixing this.... you can now choose how you want the Avid Artist Mix tracks to sync with DP Mixing Board layouts. I've just chosen 'Pin To Mixer' in the Control Surface Setup and Bingo!.... the Artist Mix track ordering now responds exactly to the Mixing Board.... for mixing!!...... Work in the Mixing Board...hide a track, and it disappears from the Artist Mix layout instantly.... Hallelujah!! no more confusing back and forth between the Mixing Board and the Tracks overview

The Avid Control iOS app implemented track ballistics for DP a while back.... Right now I have both an Artist Mix hardware unit and the Avid Control app on an iPad both running simultaneously in perfect sync ....and it all appears to work well it seems

Wow.... for me this is a big deal... and most appreciated

Thank you very much

Happy....Maxxy
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
smashprod

Post by smashprod »

So Avid Control for iPad does work with DP11?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I recently tried to open the Avid Control app and it was asking me to sign-in/create-an-account. Instant delete.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:04 pm I recently tried to open the Avid Control app and it was asking me to sign-in/create-an-account. Instant delete.
Same here. I already had an account from a entry level PT trial. I don' know if they still do it, but they also asked for my iLok ID and password. I asked support why. Apparently, Avid being able to get into your iLok account was a good thing.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Report Quote
Post by smashprod » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:34 am

So Avid Control for iPad does work with DP11?

Yes it does for me

I have hardware units.... I don't know if that is relevant.

I think the startup order makes a difference. ... maybe try having Avid Control already started as you reboot your main computer and then launch DP at the final stage

I can make it work without hardware but it does seem startup-order sensitive

Good luck

M
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control