DP8 and VE Pro 5, the future is here?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 and VE Pro 5, the future is here?

Post by Shooshie »

nightwatch wrote:What's the largest amount of Real Mem that anyone has seen DP8 use so far?
That would make an excellent thread. I feel like starting a "post your Activity Monitor screenshot" thread.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

nightwatch wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:PS, not only is DP power consumption barely above 10%, I am running a bunch of angry VIs that are using 18 gig of ram.
Now that's what I'm talking about! I haven't had time to keep up with all of the boards. But have you run without VE? DP and Kontakt can have all the RAM they want, just keep loading and don't crash on me.

What's the largest amount of Real Mem that anyone has seen DP8 use so far?
But if you ran all these VIs in DP, it’s processor load would kill the computer. In Vienna, the VIs use ram and not processor too much, In DP, these use RAM and kill the processor, I have no idea why.
Dont use DP for VIs
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Does VE Pro 5 help at all for low VI counts? It must add its own overhead to the load on the processor, so for low counts on a single CPU, it is worth the effort?

(I can see how it helps for multiple CPUs. I sometimes run plugins on a second Mac via ADAT, and dealing manually with latency compensation is a pain.)
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bayswater wrote:Does VE Pro 5 help at all for low VI counts? It must add its own overhead to the load on the processor, so for low counts on a single CPU, it is worth the effort?

(I can see how it helps for multiple CPUs. I sometimes run plugins on a second Mac via ADAT, and dealing manually with latency compensation is a pain.)
Yes, use VE, never put VIs in DP unless you're just goofing off and want to quickly goof around and throw the file away. Seriously, I see no overhead added as compared to straining DP by putting any VI inside of it.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
sndmarks

Post by sndmarks »

TDH,

Within how many instances across how many machines of VEPro are you hosting all those VIs? And what's your MIDI track situation look like?

I'm beginning to think my track count is the source of my frustrations.
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

sndmarks wrote:TDH,

Within how many instances across how many machines of VEPro are you hosting all those VIs? And what's your MIDI track situation look like?

I'm beginning to think my track count is the source of my frustrations.
One or two instances (64 and 32 bit), one machine, tons of MIDI tracks. I haven't found MIDI tracks to be an issue.
I did have a strange issue last night of Superior Drummer losing it's ability to be in sync with DP when in VE. I have to find out what happened, did nt have time last night so I just pulled the MIDI into DP which eliminated the problem.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
sndmarks

Post by sndmarks »

Hmmm. Not what I was hoping to hear. How many MIDI tracks are you talking about when you say "tons of MIDI tracks?" 30? 300? And you're using Event Inputs to send them MIDI, right?
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

sndmarks wrote:Hmmm. Not what I was hoping to hear. How many MIDI tracks are you talking about when you say "tons of MIDI tracks?" 30? 300? And you're using Event Inputs to send them MIDI, right?
30-50 maybe, using one or two extra event inputs.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13