Screencast of Composing with DP and Bidule

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Screencast of Composing with DP

Post by Tritonemusic »

I think it's important to point out the fact that the version of DP that is working so well with this configuration is DP 5.13. That doesn't mean that DP6 wouldn't work as flawlessly but, you never know until you try. I'd love to hear feedback on how well DP6 works with this scenario.

Great post, BTW. I love reading about positive experiences with DP.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6.7, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

c0mp0ser wrote:...I'm happy to return at least something of miniscule value compared to what I received from this forum. :wink:

So, regarding Bidule... it looks like they'll be releasing a demo shortly that probably has some kind of time limit, then locks up.
+1 to James' comment. Thank you.

So I hope I am understanding this correctly. If you pay the $75, you get a functional copy of the current version for all time (give or take a big bang or two). I don't want to pay $75 and find that it 'locks up' in a year or two.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jroadrage
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jroadrage »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
+1 to James' comment. Thank you.

So I hope I am understanding this correctly. If you pay the $75, you get a functional copy of the current version for all time (give or take a big bang or two). I don't want to pay $75 and find that it 'locks up' in a year or two.
From Plogue's online store section:

This "early bird" is a special license that you can buy before Bidule gets to v1.0, to keep your copy from expiring (all builds of Bidule expire 3 months after their original release dates). Sometime in the future we will release the "full" version of Bidule 1.0, and a "Lite" version. If you buy this "early bird" license now, you will automatically get the "Lite" version and subsequent bug fixes, as well as a significative rebate on the "full" version.
End users can buy a license key that will unlock Bidule for ANY NUMBER of their personal computers, laptops and workstations, Mac or PC. One key, no challenge/response web accesses or telephone calls for any of your stations. However, since all your stations are permanently unlocked, it is much harder for us to track licenses (and leaked licenses), so we decided to not allow their transfer. Please read Bidule's End User Software License Agreement for more details.

Schools and corporations need to buy one license key for each station on which Bidule is installed. Any number of students/employee can use a station.

Bulk deals are only available for Corporations and Schools. NOT for end users OR end user groups.

If you have any questions on this License, please visit this forum post and ask your questions there.
John Rodriguez - Composer for Media
Mac Pro 2.8, 14 GB RAM, 10.6.1, i7 920, 12 GB RAM, Windows 7
DP7.02, VE PRO Public Beta, Bidule 0.9695, Altiverb 6, Ozone 3
Vienna Instruments, Kontakt 3.5, PLAY 1.2.5, Spectrasonics Bundle
MIDI Life Crisis

From Plogue's online store section:

...to keep your copy from expiring (all builds of Bidule expire 3 months after their original release dates...
This is somewhat confusing - maybe I'm just a simpleton. The statement seems contradictory.

Essentially I am reading:

Pay $75 to keep your copy from expiring.
All builds expire after 3 months.

(Following Socrates' logic on this...)

Therefore ALL copies expire.

I'll have to get a clarification from them when I download later this week with the new version. Perhaps it's just a language barrier.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tim

Post by Tim »

James Steele wrote: All my NI stuff worked fine standalone. What I didn't like doing is having to remember which NI plugs to remember to open before launching DP, etc.
A Kontakt saved multi file can be dragged into a DP Project Clippings window, where it can then be opened from.
It'd be cool if a Start Up Clippings window could belong to a project instead of just being a DP global thing.
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

James Steele wrote:By the way, I want to thank c0mp0ser publicly for this awesome post. This post completely embodies the sort of information and exchange that I hoped for when creating this site so many years ago. I know personally it has stirred my imagination and helped me to think about using DP in new ways. Imagine how much could be gleaned if there were more posts like this! Thanks again, c0mp0ser!!!
+1,000
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Image
Is that an African or European swallow?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tim wrote:
James Steele wrote: All my NI stuff worked fine standalone. What I didn't like doing is having to remember which NI plugs to remember to open before launching DP, etc.
A Kontakt saved multi file can be dragged into a DP Project Clippings window, where it can then be opened from.
It'd be cool if a Start Up Clippings window could belong to a project instead of just being a DP global thing.
Hmmm... and this would work with KontaktPlayer 2 I'm guessing? Maybe I could go Leopard again on DP. My main issue is having to keep track of what multi file to open. What would be REALLY great if Bidule saved a file that could recall a setup comprised of multiple VIs and their ReWire routings, etc. and THAT could loaded from DP with the clippings, etc. I guess I'm talking about having a way to open a DP project and have external VI's all load to their proper settings. I guess any VI that can save a multi file could have the file in a project clipping.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

James Steele wrote:Maybe I could go Leopard again on DP.
I should be able to answer that for you this weekend if the release is posted. That is EXACTLY why I want it.

BTW, my favorite color is red... no I mean blue!!!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
James Steele wrote:BTW, my favorite color is red... no I mean blue!!!
"You have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

MIDI Life Crisis

James Steele wrote:
Touché! Well played, sir. Well played!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
James Steele wrote:
Touché! Well played, sir. Well played!
We are no longer the knights who say nee...
We are now the knights who say neebangwheeeeeboplanganuss.....
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

BTW, your video is pretty clear for computer captured video - what are you using for a camera?
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Last edited by Tim on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

I've watched all the screencasts and I find it downright inspiring, I love your humor. "That's just stupid." Makes me laugh. I liked the counter movement at the end of the last piece; I was hoping you would do that. I actually liked that piece. I don't think it's as bad as you thought it was. I was hoping to hear it all the way through once with everything. Denied! Anyway, thanks a lot for these interesting screencasts. I learn a lot by watching other people work and how they handle their equipment and put things together. What is that controller you have?
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers