DP 6.01 behaving well anyone else?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 6.01 behaving well anyone else?

Post by kassonica »

Nothing like a new born child and a clean install.

Works wonders for the world.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

hotsausage wrote:For what it's worth...

I was having all kinds of problems after installing DP6 and 6.01. i posted before that i was having instant crashes upon applying a simple crossfade. program was very sluggish. saving was extremely slow. save while play function seemed like it wasn't possible with the new and improved DP6. overall performance was unworkable. DP5 was working flawlessly however. i have a G5 dual 2.3 PPC with 6.5 gigs and 2 internal drives.

As i write today, i have fixed all problems. i reformatted and reinstalled OSX 10.4.11 and all prior programs and plugins. i use a second internal drive to record to, as well as store all sound libraries. however, this time i installed DP on the second drive. not sure if this has anything to do with the total improvement of DP...but everything is much better...almost perfect, dare i say. ;) i feel like i got a new puter and new gear! with 512 buffer settings, VI's play as good if not better than when set to 256 in DP5. some Vi's play pretty damn good at 1024 too. and no more spikes with most VI's.

i am in love with DP and my computer again. i was minutes away from buying Logic.

i highly recommend doing what i did if you had any of the same problems

peace
Are you saying you've installed DP6 on a disk which isn't your startup disk and run it from there?
hotsausage

Post by hotsausage »

Are you saying you've installed DP6 on a disk which isn't your startup disk and run it from there?
indeed. i have 2, 7200 rps internal drives. Drive #1 which i call "System" is used for every application EXCEPT for DP6. DP6 is on drive #2 - which houses all audio and sound libraries, and that's it. i haven't had one crash from a VI, yet. no slugish anything whatsoever. i'm am truly shocked how good everything runs. i've been reading all these horror stories wondering when anything nearly as painful would happen to me, then it did. crash bang boom. from a freakin crossfade. among all the other problems, as i mentioned before. so, if you can manage to recreate your current environment and clear out all the excess bs, it might make a difference. worth a shot. i'll say it again....feels like a real upgrade....and a new computer.

pz
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

But shurley you have to install all DP system files and so on on the startup disk? :? Or is this handled automatically by the installer despite installing the program on a different disk?
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

e-snobben wrote:But shurley you have to install all DP system files and so on on the startup disk? :? Or is this handled automatically by the installer despite installing the program on a different disk?
+1.

It seems strange to me :?: :?: :?:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's got me stumped too, but the general principle of running DP6 in isolation (nowhere near previous versions and 3rd party software) is one that I've been encouraging folks to employ all along; it was obvious to me at the outset from the complaints on the board that she was generally more stable the "cleaner" the install.

MIDI Devices, MIDI Drivers, MOTU's app support and the Presets folders would be amongst those that I'd like to know how DP accesses in this new-fangled install situation, FWIW...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
hotsausage

Post by hotsausage »

But shurley you have to install all DP system files and so on on the startup disk? :? Or is this handled automatically by the installer despite installing the program on a different disk?
coudn't tell ya.

i should mention the install on my audio drive was the 2nd time i installed DP6. the first time, i installed it where you would normally think it should go, in the apps folders. in doing so, and after launching and checking out how everything was working.....one of my VI's wouldn't load. i needed this one badly to finish some projects. so i deleted all motu files. (note-DP5 was not installed after the fresh OSX install - i went straight to DP6, on the System drive). i then reinstalled DP5, on the System drive. figured maybe if i installed in order, just maybe......anyhoo...VI's and all plugins loaded, no problem. on to DP6....2nd time around i noticed, upon asking me where i wanted to install DP6, that i had the option to install anywhere. i thought that was interesting so i gave it a shot and put it on my audio only drive. Load DP6 after reinstalling for the second time, and the VI that didn't work before not only works, but it works 35% better than before.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

hotsausage wrote:
so i deleted all motu files.
Did you remove them "by hand" or did you use the uninstaller?
hotsausage

Post by hotsausage »

e-snobben wrote:
hotsausage wrote:
so i deleted all motu files.
Did you remove them "by hand" or did you use the uninstaller?
i ran the uninstaller. and also removed what was left by hand. can't remember what i deleted by hand however.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I would have never thought of doing this but I'm going to have to give it a shot because I've run out of options to get a stable system.
Do you have install 6 then 6.01 or can you install 6.01 on its own?
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
hotsausage

Post by hotsausage »

wylie1 wrote:I would have never thought of doing this but I'm going to have to give it a shot because I've run out of options to get a stable system.
Do you have install 6 then 6.01 or can you install 6.01 on its own?

you need 6.0 for 6.01 to opperate. give it a shot. at the very least you'll have a clean plate to trouble shoot with.

peace
hotsausage

Post by hotsausage »

all isnt gravy after all...

after what i thought was a fix to all my problems, i realize i am wrong. DP6 is still an unworking, unprofessional piece of software, full of bugs. Needless to say, back to DP5.

My new found problem is as follows....

i start a new project, clean slate. add the audio tracks i need. about 20 stereo tracks. i drag my audio files to the appropriate tracks and begin working. (after conversions from 16 to 24 bit). for whatever reason, DP6 is sluggish right off the bat. hardly any plugins and no VI's. i keep working only to find my current situation unworkable. bouncing tracks now. finishing in DP5. buying Logic tomorrow. what a total let down MOTU has been latley.

i now join the ranks of you and all of your horrors.

EDIT

i will say....that other projects that were done in DP5, and opened in DP6, work as expecte and with better performance than in DP5. so i have no clue as to what's going on with DP. DP5 is still where it's at. come on motu... UPDATE!
waxman

Post by waxman »

You may want to try reopening the project you ported back to 5 in DP 6 again... I have found that somehow heals whatever was clogging the deal. I know freely port between Logic, DP 5 and 6.

And just to let you know... I have Logic and I have been using it since it first came out. It is not a magic bullet nor is it a walk in the park. Plan on spending two days solid 12 hours a day learning it. If you try to work as you learn good luck... Just port over some tracks that you have and don't be out come based. Try to do everything you usually do on DP in Logic. All the audio, MIDI, moving tracks, editing, mixing, Vis, plugs etc. Then go for a final mix. One last recommendation. Reboot your mind because if you try to do things like a DP work flow forget it. Logic is just entirely different. Different flow, different sound, different feel and total different experience. It relates to DP very little in my opinion.

Let me know how it goes I will be interested in your experience. Please update as you go and let us know what you learn...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
hotsausage

Post by hotsausage »

waxman wrote:You may want to try reopening the project you ported back to 5 in DP 6 again... I have found that somehow heals whatever was clogging the deal. I know freely port between Logic, DP 5 and 6.

And just to let you know... I have Logic and I have been using it since it first came out. It is not a magic bullet nor is it a walk in the park. Plan on spending two days solid 12 hours a day learning it. If you try to work as you learn good luck... Just port over some tracks that you have and don't be out come based. Try to do everything you usually do on DP in Logic. All the audio, MIDI, moving tracks, editing, mixing, Vis, plugs etc. Then go for a final mix. One last recommendation. Reboot your mind because if you try to do things like a DP work flow forget it. Logic is just entirely different. Different flow, different sound, different feel and total different experience. It relates to DP very little in my opinion.

Let me know how it goes I will be interested in your experience. Please update as you go and let us know what you learn...

thanks Waxman, and nice to meet you. i know Logic will be totally dif. i've seen and used it just enough to stay away and continue with DP. nothing compares to DP's workflow, no question. i will try what you mentioned. however, the project im referencing was created in DP6. i tried a save as, twice, as a 5.1 doc (because thats the most rock solid on my system, and even better after a fresh install of os and everything else), and both open with corrupted distorted files. everything looked fine in the sequence, plugins loaded fine, but the audio was completely distored. and only a few of the tracks play anything. i tried using core audio to see if was that, it wasn't. i havent checked the audio in any other programs however. i have to finish a project asap, and i don't have the time at the moment. but when i do i will check it and let you know.

90% my friends and people i work with use Logic and have fantastic results. the sound of their mixsdowns seem to have better imaging as well as an overall tighter sound. maybe it's just me, but i've listened to enough of them to know there's something to it. and i'm not talking about mastered versions, mostly pre mixes. and only a handfull of my friends are professional engineers who know how to get the most out of a program and plugins. so if the rookies are churning out mixes that sound consistent with the pros i mentioned, there's something to it. i'm not thrilled about learning a new program, but i feel i have to to keep up with technology. i love the way DP6 looks and oppereates, but it needs a lot of work as everyone has mentioned before. but again, i need to use it and see how it works on my system. it seems from what i've seen and read that Logic is much more efficient in overall cpu and opperation. we shall see...
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

hotsausage wrote:all isnt gravy after all...

after what i thought was a fix to all my problems, i realize i am wrong. DP6 is still an unworking, unprofessional piece of software, full of bugs. Needless to say, back to DP5.

My new found problem is as follows....

i start a new project, clean slate. add the audio tracks i need. about 20 stereo tracks. i drag my audio files to the appropriate tracks and begin working. (after conversions from 16 to 24 bit). for whatever reason, DP6 is sluggish right off the bat. hardly any plugins and no VI's. i keep working only to find my current situation unworkable. bouncing tracks now. finishing in DP5. buying Logic tomorrow. what a total let down MOTU has been latley.

i now join the ranks of you and all of your horrors.

EDIT

i will say....that other projects that were done in DP5, and opened in DP6, work as expecte and with better performance than in DP5. so i have no clue as to what's going on with DP. DP5 is still where it's at. come on motu... UPDATE!
It's probably an an old/outdated/corrupted plug in conflict. Have you turned off Pre-Gen and selected Always run in RealTime? Your sig doesn't say which version of DP and other programs you're running. Just because you're having problems with DP6 doesn't mean that's everyone's experience. Once I weeded out some old plug ins (like T-Racks 1.2.2) upgraded the rest to the latest versions (Kontakt 3, Guitar Rig 3, AutoTune Evo, etc) DP 6.01 has been rock solid on my MacBook Pro.
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)