what kind of music are you in?

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: what kind of music are you in?

Post by Phil O »

Glad to hear you guys are being creative. I'm going through one of my many writers' block periods. I know it will pass, but it still sucks. I really don't do a lot of writing, but its good to crank out something from time to time and it's been too long a time.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Phil O wrote:Glad to hear you guys are being creative. I'm going through one of my many writers' block periods. I know it will pass, but it still sucks. I really don't do a lot of writing, but its good to crank out something from time to time and it's been too long a time.

Phil
A lot of people swear by the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. Another one I read a long long time ago was The Courage to Create by Rollo May. It was so long ago I couldn't tell you now if it was good or bad. I recall it helped me at the time. One of my faves though is A Whack on the Side of the Head by Roger Von Oech. I read it every couple of years. I'm about due on that one as the last section deals with finishing things which I really need to work on. Lots and lots of ideas but... whatever I started last week- that just seems so... last week. :) Does anyone else have that? My sig kinda speaks to that...

As far as writer's block - the standard movie cliche is the writer staring at the blank page in the typewriter or writing a line and crumpling the paper. I think walking away (if possible) is a better solution. Maybe take a trip or read a stimulating book or what have you. Collaboration can be good too sometimes. Of course there are a few quotes floating around about the best inspiration being a deadline or paycheck, so there's that too :)
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

philbrown wrote:... Lots and lots of ideas but... whatever I started last week- that just seems so... last week. :) Does anyone else have that? My sig kinda speaks to that...
+1 here Phil. It could be argued that we need to lighten up on the self criticism, but I reckon it's a habit I'd rather have in abundance than the contrary.

I agree about the break thing too; it always worked for me. My latest, super-extended-and-forced break broke me though (many times, actually), so it's worth noting that there's probably only a limited number of inspiration trains that one can jump back on whilst on a break, their appearance becoming progressively more sparse. That said, in my case I'm talking about well over a decade, and many thousands of trains starting with 10 a day and now one every 3 to 6 months, which isn't typical of a block-breaking break by any means. LOL Don't get me wrong - I'm no longer waiting for trains. Sheer desperation will see me practically marrying my gear when all's set (a few bits critical to my needs are still missing).

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

philbrown wrote:A Whack on the Side of the Head
Sounds like what I need.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Where can I get these new-fangled whacks? I surely could do with one too... in fact, I'll buy a box. :lol:

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

monkey man wrote:Where can I get these new-fangled whacks? I surely could do with one too... in fact, I'll buy a box. :lol:
Whacks In The Box. The drive-thru is open until 1AM.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Doh! [Slaps forehead]

I know that place - just 'round the corner from KFC and the drive-through marriage joint, right? Silly me!

There, now all the DeePeeps in MOTUVille know what sort of music the Phils and I "are in" - none. We waste our creative energy getting whacked... on the sides of our heads. :lol: