FYI...DP 11.01 is out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
richhickey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FYI...DP 11.01 is out

Post by richhickey »

dewdman42 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 am The key to fixing the dp 11.01 crash is to delete the propellarheads application support folder. There is a rewire driver in there that dp 11.01 is not ignoring even though dp does not officially support rewire any longer.
Rewire support is documented in Chapter 33 of the DP11 User Guide. In what way is that "unsupported"?

I've had great success rewiring DP and Notion 6, at least through DP10 (haven't checked on DP11 yet). DP's rewire support has been pretty great, supporting transport from either app, MIDI as well as audio etc.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

That’s what motu tech support told me a few days ago.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:51 pm
svobodomo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 am BE AWARE!!!
There is extremely bad bug in DP11.01, If you're using any articulation with instrument you cannot normal or retrospective record there... :cry:
Huh?
I just had this happen last night, merely opened the articulation manager, then tried to retrospectively capture a recording and no type was selectable.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

richhickey wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:11 am
dewdman42 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 am The key to fixing the dp 11.01 crash is to delete the propellarheads application support folder. There is a rewire driver in there that dp 11.01 is not ignoring even though dp does not officially support rewire any longer.
Rewire support is documented in Chapter 33 of the DP11 User Guide. In what way is that "unsupported"?

I've had great success rewiring DP and Notion 6, at least through DP10 (haven't checked on DP11 yet). DP's rewire support has been pretty great, supporting transport from either app, MIDI as well as audio etc.
Propellerheads (now called Reason Studios), dropped rewire support in Reason 11, and deprecated rewire in general. It's pretty sad really, rewire was a great idea, but being (although free), owned by one company, when they no longer saw a use for it, it gets tossed.

An initial test I did with DP11 and Ableton Live 10 was fruitless, Live did not go into slave mode and DP11 did not recognize it. You can still see the rewire busses in DP though.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

MOTU appears to have done a partial removal of Rewire. That's why 11.01 was crashing for me. The only fix is to remove Rewire drivers from your computer, then it starts up fine. As I said, MOTU tech support simply blamed rewire when I told them it was crashing, they looked at my crash log and basically said "why are you trying to use rewire, that's the reason for the crash". I basically said, "well then why doesn't DP ignore rewire?"

Rewire is outdated, deprecated technology and its a bad idea to use it anymore in 2021. What is annoying is that some apps like Ableton Live 10 will automatically install the drivers when you launch it...and that DP still apparently at least partially pays attention to it, it was clearly showing Rewire in the crash log... so...we're in an in between state, but hopefully MOTU will clean up DP11 in next update so that it just flat out ignores any existing Rewire malware that might still be in the system. I realize that is going to tick off people that still want to use Rewire forever...but as mentioned..its not supported anymore.
Michael Canavan

^^^ Yep, it is what it is, Ableton spent some serious code time making Live 10 the best version of Live for rewire, Push 2 works with Live even in slave mode etc. etc. so it's not surprising they automagically install it in v10. This all goes to the trash in Live 11 though, rewire is gone there. For the record DP 11.01 doesn't crash on me even with rewire installed, so it's probably setup dependent.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

don't know why it works for you, but there are also numerous people reporting exactly the same problem as me with Rewire. If it starts to crash on you for some reason, you'll know why ;-)
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Well, I just updated to DP 11.01, and I'm getting crashes on open as well--with the same crash log shown above. se.propellerheads.rewire.library, yadayadayada--

Only problem is, I have no Rewire software I can find on this computer. I've searched using all available search functions, looked the the Library/application support folder---nada/zilch/zippo. Searched the exact text string above, tried "rewire", nothing. Weird.

But, the se.propellerheads text shows up in my crash log. So--it's gotta be here somehow somewhere. Anybody able to offer further tips on how to find it and zap it? I do have Reason 8 installed on this machine, haven't opened it in years---would deleting the application and all associate files ( in the application folder) do the trick? I know that won't address problematic system files..

Help! I have a client in the morning. I may have to revert back to 11.00. This update seems to have over-written my copy of 11.00 so hopefully it's available on MOTU.com

Greg
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Michael Canavan

greg328 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:54 pm Well, I just updated to DP 11.01, and I'm getting crashes on open as well--with the same crash log shown above. se.propellerheads.rewire.library, yadayadayada--

Only problem is, I have no Rewire software I can find on this computer. I've searched using all available search functions, looked the the Library/application support folder---nada/zilch/zippo. Searched the exact text string above, tried "rewire", nothing. Weird.

But, the se.propellerheads text shows up in my crash log. So--it's gotta be here somehow somewhere. Anybody able to offer further tips on how to find it and zap it? I do have Reason 8 installed on this machine, haven't opened it in years---would deleting the application and all associate files ( in the application folder) do the trick? I know that won't address problematic system files..

Help! I have a client in the morning. I may have to revert back to 11.00. This update seems to have over-written my copy of 11.00 so hopefully it's available on MOTU.com

Greg
I have Reason 10 installed as well.
The search functions don't index your libraries really.

Rewire shows up in three places here, both the system and user libraries:

/Library/Application Support/ Propellerhead Software/ ReWire

/Library/Application Support/ ReWire

~/Library/Application Support/ Propellerhead Software/ ReWire

I'm not getting the crashes, but I did attempt to use rewire with DP11 and Live 10, and that went badly. :deadhorse:
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Michael, thank you so much, I’ll search those locations but I was able to download DP 11.00 on the motu website, I’m good for now, but I’d like to get 11.01 working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:08 pm
I have Reason 10 installed as well.
The search functions don't index your libraries really.

Rewire shows up in three places here, both the system and user libraries:

/Library/Application Support/ Propellerhead Software/ ReWire

/Library/Application Support/ ReWire

~/Library/Application Support/ Propellerhead Software/ ReWire

I'm not getting the crashes, but I did attempt to use rewire with DP11 and Live 10, and that went badly. :deadhorse:
I have Rewire installed in a number of places, both by Notion and Finale but only in the System Libraries — nothing in the Users/Library.

Likewise, I am not getting the crashed in DP 11.01.

I have been using Rewire between Finale and DP 10. I will have to test to see if it works at all with 11 and will report back.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong library folder, the one I access by holding down the “option” key and selecting “library” from the “go” menu, that library does not contain a propellerhead sub folder in the application support folder. I must need to go to the other library folder. Now if I could just remember how!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Update: Rewire may no longer be supported but it still works between Finale 27 and DP 11.01.

Whew! Something else to put off to another day. :dance:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Sergievsky

Post by Sergievsky »

greg328 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:53 pm Maybe I’m looking at the wrong library folder, the one I access by holding down the “option” key and selecting “library” from the “go” menu, that library does not contain a propellerhead sub folder in the application support folder. I must need to go to the other library folder. Now if I could just remember how!
I think I found mine in the Library in my user folder (sorry forgot). Also found a Sibelius rewire & trashed that too. Just look everywhere man :D :brucelee: I still get crashes & occasional weirdness, but at least I can work again.
Raul
iMac Pro 3GHZ 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2TB hd, Big Sur
motu 8pre-es
greg328

Post by greg328 »

A ha! Silly me--I found the top-level (unhidden) library folder and located the Propellerheads folder---deleted the whole thing. There was also a Sibelius and Vocaloid rewire bit that was deleted.

I'll try again to download and. implement 11.01 later today after my client is done!

I continue to find it odd that my finder search did not turn up any file containing the words "propellerheads" or "rewire". Are the library contents hidden from the finder search function?

Thanks Motunation--glad to be part of this helpful community

Greg