Studio talk then and now

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jim »

Yo, Phil... I do video editing, and when I'm cutting a video to crap music (which is thankfully rare), and I have to watch and listen 200 times before the piece is mastered, I still get the crap music looping in my head for hours or days.

Occupational hazard, I guess.
twistedtom wrote: This is where my studio is...
Your space looks quite fantastic, DX7 and all. You however, my friend, appear to be a neat freak. Now, just how twisted can you be? Tidy Tom seems more appropos, but that moniker likely wouldn't be as enticing for the babes.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

twistedtom wrote:Shoeshie said
Music is just how I live. I have to go to the mountains for silence, because I can't "just listen" to music. If it's playing in the background, I'm there.
I had to move to the mountains out side of Portland. Every one who visits always notices the silence, although the birds can get to singing.
This is where my studio is.
This is me.

... [etc.]
Twisted Tom, do you need a resident engineer? Ok... you already have one of those, I guess. Well, do you need an assistant? I wanna work in YOUR studio! BONUS: I'm an expert tractor driver! I was driving the tractor daily on our farm when I was 8 years old, a post I relentlessly held until I left home. We used it to feed and hay 120 head of horses twice a day, most of whom were in individual stalls, making for a long and drawn out feeding routine.

Actually, I'm probably going to move my studio up to the family farm in about five years. The view there is just as rural, but no mountains on the horizon.

Very nice location, Tom!

Shooshie
Last edited by Shooshie on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Jim wrote:Yo, Phil... I do video editing, and when I'm cutting a video to crap music (which is thankfully rare), and I have to watch and listen 200 times before the piece is mastered, I still get the crap music looping in my head for hours or days.

Occupational hazard, I guess.
twistedtom wrote: This is where my studio is...
Your space looks quite fantastic, DX7 and all. You however, my friend, appear to be a neat freak. Now, just how twisted can you be? Tidy Tom seems more appropos, but that moniker likely wouldn't be as enticing for the babes.
Yeah, Jim, like you're a slob or something? :D :D (Jim's house looks like his Mom stops by daily or something!) Well, that makes three of us, although I definitely go in cycles. And I can hear my wife wisecracking "yeah, three cycles a day." It's an issue which we don't fully agree on, to put it nicely. ;)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote:For me there is no silence. 24-7 there's a song in my head. It's just always there - usually the last thing I heard, but not always. Right now it's "Rusian Sailor's Dance."
The real hell is when the last thing I heard is real CRAP. AAAHHHHHH!!!
Which sort of ties in with this topic...I think. :shock:
Phil
Same here.

If I can go long enough sans music though, it dies away.
Rhythms relating directly to my excitement level, etc take over at this stage.
A distant hint of melody gives it continuity, I suppose, but the mostly percussive sounds define the mood and even tie in with breathing and heart rates.
I remember listening to Brazilian-style percussive rhythms in my head right through my 4½ hours' worth of swimming training I used to do every day as a kid.
I didn't even know what "Brazilian" music sounded like, but that didn't seem to matter.
There's always some sort of rhythmic bed, it seems.

Interestingly, I was stunned (twice, as it happens) at the fact that upon setting foot in Australia, the thick, pulsating (at 1½ Hz?) rhythm I took for granted in Africa as an everyday feeling faded to a sparse whisper of its former self.
What was usually inspirational and emotionally supportive became "company".
FWIW, I believe I used to feel this in my chest/stomach, as well as hear it.

Having mostly avoided listening to music for a while now (18-odd years), I've become super-sensitive emotionally to it.
Nowadays, it's a rare piece that doesn't depress me, so I've simply continued to avoid exposure!
Obviously co-dependency love songs, as I like to call them, epitomise my point.

Hope there's something in this for someone...
MM

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Kinnylandrum, I couldn't reply to your PM, as this message kept coming up:

General Error
Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused
DEBUG MODE
Line : 112
File : smtp.ph

I'll try again tomorrow.
You might want to check all's well on your end.

Cheers
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Jim

Post by Jim »

Shooshie wrote: Yeah, Jim, like you're a slob or something? :D :D (Jim's house looks like his Mom stops by daily or something!)

Shooshie
Aw, shucks, I just try to make a good impression on the Shooshmeister. My mom, since you dragged her into this, used to tell me, "It takes one to know one." :mrgreen:
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Last song in your head A, just think of the ice cream man, pop goes the weasel.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Shoeshie that is a lot of horses, wow why so many? If your ever this way stop by I can always use a good tractor man. I tried to sent you a pm but It gose into error mode.
Last edited by twistedtom on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

My baby takes the morning train...
He works from nine to five and then...
He takes another home again...
To find me waiting for him...
Jim

Post by Jim »

chrispick wrote:My baby takes the morning train...
He works from nine to five and then...
He takes another home again...
To find me waiting for him...
Now, that's just cruel.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Crispick did Sheena Easton write that song?
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

Wow, this thread was a nice read.

Shooshie wrote:But classical remains my personal music. It's not about technical difficulty or any other superficial quality. It's about genius. Genius gravitates toward certain forms which are capable of supporting its weight. You can find genius in any form -- Dolly Parton is a songwriting genius -- but I'm talking about that genius for the ages, the kind which carries a generation's contribution to the "Great Conversation" that defines all art. And yes, it does require a certain sort of education to really appreciate and participate in that conversation. Again, I'm not speaking in terms of image or territorialism; it's just a fact. You don't divine the depths of Bach by listening to recordings (though it helps, of course). You can only get to his genius by playing the music yourself, analyzing it, and playing more. Like mathematics, you can't appreciate it without a certain type of education. You simply have to learn the language first.
Music has the science side to it, and I've always been interested in it. I study music theory and instruments while playing around with new technology. IMO great contributive genious can be found at many different levels of music. Classical music represents the theoretical and compositional side at it's purest form. Then there's stuff that can be integrated to it like sound design, programming and surround mixing, to create a musical experience that exceeds the boundaries of instruments, human performers and natural acoustics. Within these kind of tools lie enourmous possibilities to express genious through music in new ways. BT's latest album This Binary Universe for example combines elements like classical composition, mathematics, csound type programming and surround engineering. The music can also be well appreciated by someone who doesn't know the science or language behind it, which is a nice bonus :wink:
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4